• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Smoo update - weight and vaccination questions

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Well Smoo is doing amazingly. From a rabbit with a jaw abscess and molar root issues and we didn't know if she would ever eat hay again to... a rabbit to who bypasses the big plate of pellets for the fresh hay in the litter tray! :mrgreen:

She has put on a lot of weight though. When it was too painful for her to eat hay she had unlimited pellets with Grim. Grim has always been fine with them and keeping his weight at a healthy level but Smoo put on half a kilo in four weeks. Is that excessive? I wonder if she wasn't fed properly before she was taken in by BARC so now her body is used to taking every bit of nutrients from food and that's why she puts on weight so quickly? Just my musings. Her poos are lovely and golden now but she's having issues cleaning her rear end. It might be a bit of arthritis too. She hates me brushing her bum and has to be restrained in a towel. :( She's very matted and a bit damp. We got most of it but she was too stressed so it'll have to be done in stages.

I was also wondering when I consider her well enough for her vaccinations? She had an abscess removed and I want to be sure her body has fought off any remaining infection before I get them done. I would never forgive myself if having them done compromised her immune system and the abscess came back. :? I was thinking if I wait until the new year then I can definitely be sure she's 100% well.

And a quick Grim update too. With the cold weather and his medication his snuffles look like they've completely cleared up. I know they haven't but he's got no discharge and no runny eyes. He's a happy bunny. :)

That is wonderful news. Half a kilo in a month, I don't really know, but its a good weight gain, maybe your theory is right.

Must be so lovely for Grim not having sniffles. Maybe its because the winter air is crisp and fresher than the humid dirty air of summer.

I should have mentioned that half a kilo makes her a fat buns. :lol:
She's 3.6kg now and she should be around three ideally. She may even have put on more since she was last weighed. :shock:

I should have mentioned that half a kilo makes her a fat buns. :lol:
She's 3.6kg now and she should be around three ideally. She may even have put on more since she was last weighed. :shock:

:shock: That is a whole lot of Smoo to love.

I have to be careful with Mr Bennett he is a foodie. In a fortnight he put on 200 grams. He is very active though, being young. I don't have decent scales for a bunny but he looks fine. Vet said he can get away with another 300 grams but no more.

Could it be that Smoo needs the extra weight for winter ?

Sunshine got so fat when he became an indoor bunny. Fat and lazy. He did lose it on a new diet. I was surprised how quickly he lost it.

:shock: That is a whole lot of Smoo to love.

I have to be careful with Mr Bennett he is a foodie. In a fortnight he put on 200 grams. He is very active though, being young. I don't have decent scales for a bunny but he looks fine. Vet said he can get away with another 300 grams but no more.

Could it be that Smoo needs the extra weight for winter ?

Sunshine got so fat when he became an indoor bunny. Fat and lazy. He did lose it on a new diet. I was surprised how quickly he lost it.

She certainly isn't going to be cold. :lol:
Once I'm happy she isn't in pain I'll reduce her pellets sp she looses some weight.

Back