• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental Advice U/D @ Check Up

MikePalmer88

Alpha Buck
So i acted on what i thought and took Mr to the Vets for a check today.

He has a tooth spur and is going in for it on Wednesday.

Im not up on Dental and wondered if someone could give me information on how its happened, what the operation will involve and post care!

Also...As some of you know ive been bonding him with his lady bun Wilma and they are finally happy together (not madly in love) and i took them both today to the vets....but the Vet said not to bring her on Wednesday - but im sure you guys have said its important for her to be there for him when he wakes??

Last edited:
Hiya :wave: well done for spotting there was a problem :) some rabbits are just prone to getting spurs on their back teeth, it is possible to wear them down by eating lots and lots of hay, but sometimes it's necessary to have a dental and have the vet file them down. If your bun is a good hay eater it might be a long time before they need another dental, but if they don't eat much hay it will be a lot sooner.
I don't like the fact that your vet told you not to bring their mate along, if they haven't been bonded that long or the bond isn't strong then I would definitely keep them together, and a good vet should respect that. I would ask why they don't want you to take them both? I hope everything goes ok :wave:

The vets will put him under GA and then file down his spurs on his teeth. If you would like your bonded pair to stay together then I would ask the vets, it would be odd if they said no :? Personally when Heather goes for her dental I leave Barty at home as he gets so stressed by being moved into a car and then having to stay in a unfimiliar enviroment all day. Their bond has never suffered from it. If your bunnies are newly bonded then I would definately keep them together.
He may never need a dental again but most bunnies once they've had one tend to need more throughout their life. Encourageing him to eaat lots of hay/grass should lengthen time between dentals :)
Oh and make sure you are given pain killers (I'm always given Metacam) to take home with you for him to have in the day or two after the op :)
Hope his dental goes well x

£130 is what the vets have said the surgery will be.....is this reasonable??

Ive always praised my vet for being very Savvy. Should i TELL HIM i want Wilma there for when Mr comes round??

They have only been bonded (properly - where they are comftable out in the house together) a few weeks!

Ive always praised my vet for being very Savvy. Should i TELL HIM i want Wilma there for when Mr comes round??

They have only been bonded (properly - where they are comftable out in the house together) a few weeks!

It may be worth shopping around and requesting prices off local vets and asking of the vets experience. Do they provide pain relief?

It's quite normal for bonded rabbits to go in for dental treatments together. If the bunnies have only been bonded for two weeks- it may be quite a risk to seperate them. In the case of bunnies that have been together years- this would not neccesarily be the case.

Also having a rabbits partner there after the surgery may aid recovery.

£130 is within the range of what a dental can cost. If you are unhappy with this- if you call around a few different vets for prices.

Spurs can need filing down quite regularly - i.e every four to six weeks for many bunnies.

It may be worth shopping around and requesting prices off local vets and asking of the vets experience. Do they provide pain relief?

It's quite normal for bonded rabbits to go in for dental treatments together. If the bunnies have only been bonded for two weeks- it may be quite a risk to seperate them. In the case of bunnies that have been together years- this would not neccesarily be the case.

Also having a rabbits partner there after the surgery may aid recovery.

£130 is within the range of what a dental can cost. If you are unhappy with this- if you call around a few different vets for prices.

Spurs can need filing down quite regularly - i.e every four to six weeks for many bunnies.

MikePalmer88, these vets are in Manchester & very good with rabbits:
http://ashleighvets.co.uk/
The senior one has published several papers on rabbits & given a presentation at the RWAF conference.

They have always told me to bring the rabbits in together & discouraged me from separating them when one was ill, as I'd been told to do by a less rabbit-savvy practice.
They are a bit more expensive than some practices tho.

MikePalmer88, these vets are in Manchester & very good with rabbits:
http://ashleighvets.co.uk/
The senior one has published several papers on rabbits & given a presentation at the RWAF conference.

They have always told me to bring the rabbits in together & discouraged me from separating them when one was ill, as I'd been told to do by a less rabbit-savvy practice.
They are a bit more expensive than some practices tho.

Ive used ashleigh before and i know they come highly reccomended but the times i have been there i wasnt satisfied. Mr has been a few times to Companion Care and ive always been really impressed with the Vet there.

It was the Vet Nurse who said not to bring Wilma along so im going to call and ask to speak to the Vet on monday

Good luck for the dental, I remember taking my benji for his, and I was more petrified than he was! :lol:

Pain relief- Metacam is very important to have, as they will be very sore for a few days and possibly a bit off colour.

My 2 have only been bonded for about 2 weeks in their cage, and they have been to the vets together when ben had an appointment. My vet encouraged to bring them both as they are newly bonded, and I am sure she would do the same if one were in for a dental.

Ring monday, speak to your vet, and explain the situation. A good vet will understand and work with you.

£130 is one of the most expensive I've heard of, but it varys so much in different areas. Heathers costs about £60 which I know is very cheap compared to what others have paid.
If your vet is rabbit savvy then there should be no reason why he would have a problem with you taking both bunnies :)

So ive just dropped him off - tried to take Wilma and was again told that she couldnt stay.

I questioned with the Vet who understood that they had only just been bonded but he said that because they would observe Mr once out of surgery to see if he was eating etc they would need him to be on his own as they would need to differentiate between droppings etc

Really worried for him :(

We have let her out in the whole flat (which is huge) and they quite often "loose" each other when they are completely free range....so we are hoping she just thinks he is chillaxing someone she cant find him!

Really nervous for when he comes back

Because they wouldn't let you take her along too then you MUST take her in the carrier when you go to collect him and travel them back together.

Next time you could always request the use of a dog crate and have him in a carrier IN the crate beside her free in the dog crate so that they are beside one another but they can still monitor his output. Their reasons are good but there are ways around these things. But you tried, that's all you can do, some vets just don't get it that's all, doesn't mean they aren't savy medically, just not behaviourally on rabbits that's all.

Fingers crossed everything is ok when he comes home, I would keep them in a very reduced space, no free range for a day or so just to make sure bond isn't broken, but obviously post-procedure he will need to keep moving to keep his gut moving so have a think about what you can do for that in your home. :)

So Mr is home and he was ever so glad to see us once we picked him and couldnt wait for nose rubs and hopped straight back into his carrier (guess he doesnt like the nasty things they do to him hehehe)

Got him home and covered him and rubbed him in the hay etc out of the cage he shares with Wilma. Did this for a few minutes to get his old scent and hers on him.

Popped him back in and then put Wilma in and they had a lovely big snuggle!!!

He had 2 little scars on his tongue where the spurs had started to cut but the Doc said they are healing well. He seems very good about it all and seems his usual self. They where kept together all yesterday evening and night but will let them have a little out time tonight.

Very pleased everything went smoothly.

Did you manage to get any pain relief for him?

:wave:

No i spoke to my Vet who i do trusted alot he is very good and very personal and knows Mr quite well for saying how many pets pass through their door.

He said he was looking for fuss and being himself.

He didnt get any and was up about straight away and really didnt look like he needed any!

No i spoke to my Vet who i do trusted alot he is very good and very personal and knows Mr quite well for saying how many pets pass through their door.

He said he was looking for fuss and being himself.

He didnt get any and was up about straight away and really didnt look like he needed any!

Very glad to hear it, what a brave bunny he is :)

I know its early days but does he seem to be eating better since the dental? When ben had his he was a different bun when it came to hay!

Back