• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Matted Fur Under Neck

MikePalmer88

Alpha Buck
Mr has got some matted fur under his chin....now i never have to do anything for him he is a really good clean bun who looks after himself well....

I first spotted the matted fur about 2/3 weeks ago and gave him the time to get it sorted himself....but its still there.

Its only really small, just under his chin/neck area and looks like it isnt causing any problems.

Any probs is getting him to sit still is REALLY hard.

Anyone got any hints or tips for getting this

Both my buns are clean, but I still groom them often. It does need to be done really. Is he a house bun? My advice would be to take him into a room/space he hasn`t been before. My buns won`t let me groom them in their space i.e the kitchen and living room. So I take them to my room, sit them on my bed and they stay still and are as good as gold for around 10 mins :lol: be careful under the neck though as they have alot of whiskers around that area. Hopefully that will help

Is it matted because he's been drooling? If this is the case, consider possible dental problems first.

My Frank gets matted fur all over, because of the density and fluffiness of his fur. Basically, I have to regularly get hold of him and trim, and tease and pull his tufty bits. Needs must, in case it gets really bad.

Yes he is a house bun...and also has Wilma who looks after him.

He has access to the whole house....i guess i could try the bath? Take him out of his comfort zone

Does the bun have a water bowl? That can cause the skin/fur to be almost constantly wet in some buns, and cause a fungal skin problem. I had a bun with this, so I had to switch to a cat water fountain type thing (I can't remember what they are called, but they are much lower anyway, so the fur didn't get wet).

Is it matted because he's been drooling? If this is the case, consider possible dental problems first.

My Frank gets matted fur all over, because of the density and fluffiness of his fur. Basically, I have to regularly get hold of him and trim, and tease and pull his tufty bits. Needs must, in case it gets really bad.

Ive never seen him drooling or noticed any wet patches anywhere?

Does the bun have a water bowl? That can cause the skin/fur to be almost constantly wet in some buns, and cause a fungal skin problem. I had a bun with this, so I had to switch to a cat water fountain type thing (I can't remember what they are called, but they are much lower anyway, so the fur didn't get wet).

No they both use a bottle??!

Im taking him into the vets today - called up and my vet answered not a receptionist and he was like bring him in better be safe than sorry!

I noticed today when i gave him a cabbage leaf he was almost tearing it...rather than biting it.

Does it sound like he could have dental?

Back