• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Great RU Bunny Treat Bakeathon

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
The Great RU Bunny Treat Bakeathon

It's the time of year for tasty treats, combine that with being crazy about bunnies and what do you get? The Great RU Bunny Treat Bakeathon. I'm declaring the next two weeks a bunny mummy cook off.

IMG_0926b-1.jpg

[ummmm tasty!]

How you can get involved...

• Suggest a recipe - tastiest secret ingredient, easiest to make, most healthy... lets find the ultimate in bunny treats.
  • Bake something - pick a recipe or make up your own and then get baking treats, you can bake as many times as you like in the next two weeks.
  • Share the results - let us know if a recipe works, post pics of the mess you made (I mean fun you had) baking, show us the final results and most of all let us know what your bunny thought.

What to do with your finished treats...

Well post some pictures and let us know what your bun thinks, then...

It's important that bunnies don't over indulge too much so if you've gone a little crazy with the baking you could:

• Send your spare treats to a rescue so they can spoil the bunnies that don't have a home for Christmas
  • Swap your treats with another baker so your bunnies can try out different flavours
  • Sell your bunny treats to raise funds for your favourite rescue (remember to ask them first)

Don't forget if you want to send your treats as part of the RU Secret Santa you need to sign up in advance by 20th November!
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...secret-Santa-2011!-SANTAS-2-more-sleeps-to-go!!

Let's Get Baking!

Sounds like fun. :D:D I'm sure Alfie and Bubbles would approve if I joined in! :lol:

Does anybody have some good recipes? :D

I did a quick search on here and this blog is mentioned a few times & there are numerous links on the left hand side to various recipes:
http://amazingdwarfs.blogspot.com/2007/09/recipes-for-your-rabbit.html :wave:

There are a couple that don't need baking :D - the bunny cookies for example but (as it says on the post itself) make sure to use banana not yoghurt.

I haven't looked through all the other recipes, but make sure that they use bunny safe ingredients and if you're not sure then it's best to double check first. ;) A few of them use honey though; is this ok or should we leave it out/substitute for something else? :?

Ooh! I was thinking about cooking pet treats the other day! This sounds fab, I'll be on the lookout for some recipes :D

There are a couple of recipes I've been meaning to try out for a little while so I think I'll be getting stuck in to baking this weekend!

I did a quick search on here and this blog is mentioned a few times & there are numerous links on the left hand side to various recipes:
http://amazingdwarfs.blogspot.com/2007/09/recipes-for-your-rabbit.html :wave:

There are a couple that don't need baking :D - the bunny cookies for example but (as it says on the post itself) make sure to use banana not yoghurt.

I haven't looked through all the other recipes, but make sure that they use bunny safe ingredients and if you're not sure then it's best to double check first. ;) A few of them use honey though; is this ok or should we leave it out/substitute for something else? :?

One of those recipes has peanut butter in it :shock: I wouldn;t dream of giving that to a bunny. I do put honey in my luxury bunny biscuits but only a small spoon full for around 60-80 biscuits

One of those recipes has peanut butter in it :shock: I wouldn;t dream of giving that to a bunny. I do put honey in my luxury bunny biscuits but only a small spoon full for around 60-80 biscuits

Eeeeek! :shock: I definitely wouldn't either! That's one recipe to rule then!!

I think in the case of bunny treats the baking is usually to dry them out rather than cook the ingredients so you'd probably be able to achieve the same results just drying them out somewhere warm?

Spenser: I don't trust my Mummy's cooking. :roll: I will wait for Auntie Liz's next batch of biscuits. :D In the meantime, I will expect an extra fenugreek crunchie (or two/three) daily. Nom, nom!

That's a great idea! :) I've had this thread saved in my favourites for over a year now! :oops: I should really try it!

I tried it!

dabc0f81.jpg

46ea5f72.jpg

03301b65.jpg

7ef8ba36.jpg
(Worst coffee grinder in the world...)

b73ca6b4.jpg
Goop!

And it was here I came across my problem!

Every time I rolled/flattened it out the carrot bits were too big and stuck out, which means they'd get burnt in the oven.

So to anyone following this recipe, grate your carrots on the smallest gratey bit!

In the end I've just squidged it out and scored it, left it on the side overnight to dry a bit and I'll bung it in the oven when we cook tomorrow. We haven't got anywhere warm in the house as we have the boiler in the garage rather than a boiler room or anything, and nowhere near a radiator unless we make the tray levitate! :lol:!

Sorry to post my failure of an attempt but it's worth it if it prevents anyone else making the same dumb mistake :oops:

5b540007.jpg

I tried it!

dabc0f81.jpg

46ea5f72.jpg

03301b65.jpg

7ef8ba36.jpg
(Worst coffee grinder in the world...)

b73ca6b4.jpg
Goop!

And it was here I came across my problem!

Every time I rolled/flattened it out the carrot bits were too big and stuck out, which means they'd get burnt in the oven.

So to anyone following this recipe, grate your carrots on the smallest gratey bit!

In the end I've just squidged it out and scored it, left it on the side overnight to dry a bit and I'll bung it in the oven when we cook tomorrow. We haven't got anywhere warm in the house as we have the boiler in the garage rather than a boiler room or anything, and nowhere near a radiator unless we make the tray levitate! :lol:!

Sorry to post my failure of an attempt but it's worth it if it prevents anyone else making the same dumb mistake :oops:

5b540007.jpg

I usually purée the carrot, but if the temp is low enough in the oven it shouldn't burn, it will just dry out :D

I'm planning on baking something tasty for my two tomorrow when I get their new bag of pellets :D It could end in disaster as my baking skills aren't great :lol: But I'm gonna give it a go!

Back