• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When one of your two Bunnies Pass away................Our Story

dorsetguy

New Kit
We used to have two small blue-grey Lops that were sisters. We took them on from a household family...usual story, the kids lost interest......They gave us sooo much joy and laughter is stunning how clever they are. We brought them (had made) a decent size hutch and got a large 6x4ft run for them which we would let them use most days, always changing layout of tunnels and ramps, boxes to get them excited and play..3 years later We came back from Hol one year (they were being looked after by parents) but the day we were travelling back Bumpy (thumper) was in some quiet distress, floppy etc , ...Long story shot we think she had a stroke,Though the vet at first thought it was just her being weak...but after seeing her head slightly lopsided as well as her tiny lips dropped on one side shower part of her teeth it was more clear... while hand feeding her we think she had another and she died in our arms....

To be honest .even if she had not had the 2nd stroke, we would have prob (as traumatic though it would have been) had her put down, I say that because Bumpy was sooo active and playful she loved to run jump play I would always change the large run lay out tunnels platforms for her..her quality of life for what she was normally used to would have been miserable .

We would have paid bit extra for the vet to come to our place so she could give her the injection while laying in her own hutch next to her sister, so it would have been less traumatic for her and her sis.

After Bumpy had passed away in our arms, after the initial 20 min of us both being very upset and tearful (yes even a big grant Mitchell type geezer like me!!!) we laid her in the hutch for LULU to see her...She (as we have seen before) licked her eye a few times, to see if she would respond and of course she did not. She then stepped back sank down into her dulap and looked very down ad sad (this you must do to let them know they have gone and will not be returning...or they will forever wait for their return which can make bonding with another difficult)

We even made sure she saw us bury her..in a huge garden pot and planted acer tree/rose which she has fed into a wonderful tree...LuLu...well.Yes she would often look at the garden where she was and was depressed and sad for a long time, her coat got tatty and malted a little from stress..though we would give her loads extra attention in that period, extra cuddles, strokes, brushing etc.

We then while looking for a mate for her decided to get her spayed (Even though when we first got them the vet said they were too old..turns out that was not the case-2nd opinion) So she was booked in and I was rang at home half way through the operation to be told that they had found a cancer tumour the side of an egg inside her womb!! We had two options 1.to leave it and make her comfortable for last few months...or two roll the dice and proceed with the operation to remove everything womb all her bits and the tumour with odds 20-80 against her survival. I got quite upset but decided it would be better for her to take this risk and if she did not make it she would at least be with her sister in rainbow bridge.

After putting the phone down this big burly shaved head guy (ME) got very upset and tearful as I was sooo attached to her that I was more upset than I have ever got about anyone or thing being ill or near death. However they rang back, Lynne the Vet who has speciality in rabbits (lucky for us) who did the operation, said she is in recovery and doing amazingly well!!! I was elated !!!!

We got her home, brought the hutch inside, got her eating again (first with bunny chocs to get her interested, then a small tiny mount of corner of brown toast..then her Excel pellets . she was sore but made a recovery and we noticed she was able to move around quicker and clean herself easier (tumour must have been making her to uncomfortable)

We found while on her own she was more excited than usual to see us in the morning, as she was lonely and did not like being on her own (what rabbit does eh?) I kept saying to her we still looking for the ideal bunny friend for her...She was we think at the time about 5-6 yrs old and did not want a too younger bunny for her....but in time we found a candidate. The RSPCA place in devon "little valley animal centre" had a new arrival they named SHOPPER as he was abandoned in a shopping bag and left outside a shop, terrified!

We drove all the way down there from Blandford in Dorset-to meet him he seemed perfect and was friendly soppy thing :).

We went through the adoption process and had our home visit, long process but admired how careful and choosy the RSPCA were. They demanded you have a min 6ft hutch WITH attch or under run and the Rabbit must be paired or you have to take a pair!! I think those conditions should be LAW!!

4 months before we lost Bumps, I had got a carpenter to make a huge 6 foot hutch with built in under run 2.5 foot depth, to treat them so they would have someone to run while we were at work or away...we still kept the bigger run.

While we were waiting for LuLus partner to be conf as ours I spent the time joing the old 5 foot hutch to the bottom of the 6 foot hutch so the lower deck was now 10 foot!!! then I ordered from Ebay a 5x7 foot run. click here to see what I did...

http://s785.photobucket.com/albums/yy137/SAMC3031/bun%20city%20project%20for%20LuLu%20and%20Noah/

We brought Noah back and introduced them slowly, with Bun dates under supervision..the usual sniffing, mounting each other bit of chasing, Noah (aka SHOPPER) did his male flicking his wee around (men eh? lol) after 2-3 dates and using wire partition at night so they could not have physical contact but could see small sniff each other during the night for two nights...I then asked LuLu as she seemed to want to get through the wire to see Noah..."do you want me to remove that? Are you ready to be with him?" She straight away came up to me and kissed(licked ) my nose several times. That was good enough for me! I removed the wire and they got on fine, within a day started to kiss, wash each other, snuggle up with each other..great she was happy!!

Luu had two wonderful years with Noah, they were both sooo happy, LuLu had few other health problems inc kidney infection, recovered from that, mites, sorted..small chest infection...sorted with meds. then (even though we very careful with checking here daily) she managed to get flystrike!!! She recovered from that...I was angry with flies and ended up completely covering the hutch and run with netting..Also we now use (after learning the hard way) REAR GUARD, which you put on their coat/skin this kills any egg lava that may get stuck to them.

She was Daddys little *soldier !!!! Always bounced back, but was getting old now prob 8 or more and was slowly down, easting less..She had full scan, no internal problems they could see, she was just getting old lady. In fact when we said to our Vet Lynne that she was more active while on her metacam meds from op (pain relief) she put her on perm meds once a day of this stuff, which masked her arthritis amazingly!!! Gave her great quality of life.

It is with HEAVY heart to say that my LuLU or SnugglePuff (as I nicknamed her..or lulubell) passed away in her sleep on Oct 14th at around 10am..... I remember saying goodbye to her before going to work (my wife was day off) I said to my little gal, if you need to sleep my gal, then you sleep, and rest...told her I loved her so much then went to work..Was last time I saw her alive :(

My Wife TamSin encouraged Noah to go over and see her, he did the same as LuLu did to bumps, he licked her eye which exposed her eyeball, he licked it again, no response. He now new she was gone :(

He Like LuLU with bumps , became very sad and quiet, was not as active . When I came home My wife told me, she laid her in a large shoe box wrapped in the old tiger blanket (other half of which bumps already buried in, as that was their play blanket for outdoors if the brick garden was cold) she was wrapped in the other half of this...she looked so peaceful and cute like she was asleep in a sleeping bag...I held her for an hour stroking her.. whispering you sleep my gal, just rest now ...go meet your sister at the foot of rainbow bridge..she is waiting for you.

Noah was now important...we made sure he saw us bury her...and like LuLu before him he does look at the pot garden where she now lays beside her sister growing a red acer tree next to her sisters large green Acer.(she has lot catching up to do bless her)

The task now came to search (even though WE were still mourning LuLu) for a companion for the bear (nickname for Noah as he is soo cuddly)

Cont....on next part of thread (i hope)

Last edited:
Continued-story of Bunnies that passed and new

We found one that seemed perfect. her name at the centre was SUMMER, she was a peach blond 2 yrs old Lop, She was in Bath, we were going to see her on the Monday, but then were rang and told other people coming to see her SAT (we could not make it then :-(....we rang Sunday to see if she had been reserved but she had not, told to ring back, but they were closed, so I said sod it , we will just drive up there tomorrow and take a chance. (1 hour drive)*

When we got there she was still avail, the people who brought their rabbit to see if they would get on did, they got on but they rang back to pull out due to their friend having a rabbit they needed to home.

So we met her..she was very friendly. We reserved her, then they had to organise home visit...long story shorter lol....we were told that when they went to spay her, they found scar, so she had already been done, home visit approved us, we got her on Remembrance Sunday, we arrived with Noah and they went into a neutral run and got on Sooo well,,,, zero aggression NO mounting which was unusual...they were instantly chilled with each other.We brought her back and decided due to the day we collected her to call her Poppy.*

We brought them back in sep carriers, though they could see and smell each other..... and when home they had another couple of Bun dates with supervision, again no problems, they played, kissed, sniffed, the bonding of rabbits can take anywhere between hours and weeks, but I have never seen one go this fast and well.*

it is now 18th Nov 2011 writing this and they have been together for not even a week, but they getting along very well. Noah has not forgotten his Bell , he still looks at her laminated portrait in the Hutch and still on the odd occasion looks at the pot thinking, but he is far happier now he is not alone, and has a play pal. if they fall in Love LuLu will be happy that he is happy .

So the moral of this true story is If you have lost one of your fluffy kids and they have left behind their companion , show them extra love and time, and within few weeks try to get them another companion as being alone in their hutch being miserable and alone should not go on too long. You have your partner and or family, friends to relate to..he/she needs another Bun to snuggle up and be with to share their ups and downs.

I will add some pics youtube vid links of Bumpy,LuLu, Noah, Poppy to this thread or forum very soon*

Pics for now http://s785.photobucket.com/albums/yy137/SAMC3031/Our Bunnies past and present/

Here are some video clips some from our BUN cam,, yes we even have two cameras in the Bun city complex lol.

http://youtu.be/DxF2sE5T2ls

http://youtu.be/u8QuF4VIOyQ

http://youtu.be/_U0qseEK_jY this one was when LuLu just met Noah, though in this one she was having a break from the Bun date, just looking around the (new at the time) run.

thank you for reading our story.

SAM

Sam and TamSin , Blandford, Dorset ,UK
Dorset Rabbits group (FaceBook group)

Last edited:
What an amazing story!! Me and my husband just read it together and we smiled at the cute funny parts, and both got tears in our eyes and lumps in our throat when we read about Bumpy and Lulu. What a touching story! You must love them all very much. :love:

Thankyou all

Thank you all for your kind comments , I was not sure where to post this, as it could come under HEALTH, Bereavement,Housing, Bonding...maybe I should have put it under general..

Thank you all again.. This is a great site it's nice to speak and communicate with people who feel the same way about Bunnies !!!

SAM n Tamsin

Such a lovely story :love: I had tears in my eyes reading about LULU passing, I know too well how you felt :cry:

I look forwards to seeing some piccies :wave:

:wave:hi! your bunnies are beautiful...thankyou for sharing your story with us...I welled up! its beautifully written...:love: I love your set up....very cool! And some great advice too...gonna have a look at homebase now for that clear plastic pointy stuff....looks perfect for insultating my run and not too heavy either!:thumb:

Weather protection for hutch

:wave:hi! your bunnies are beautiful...thankyou for sharing your story with us...I welled up! its beautifully written...:love: I love your set up....very cool! And some great advice too...gonna have a look at homebase now for that clear plastic pointy stuff....looks perfect for insultating my run and not too heavy either!:thumb:

Hi , thanks for your kind comments . Regarding the clear stuff, which I got and cut to size then staple gunned to a frame I made to fit to front of hutch (as wind/rain draft panel . it's stuff that looks like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVL-Calder-Carpet-Protector/dp/B004ER9TV6/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_0_1

Make sure the sharp pointy side faces outside as it doubles as a anti predator (prickly points will stab any nose that sniffs the panels !! )

The Silver Insulation roll so you can line inside or outside of hutch , also make sheets sizes to slide between panels and make easy to add insulation to front door of hutch as and when you feel that night needs it. it's rolls about £11.99 in homebase looks like this

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=127033

hope this helps.

SAM

What a lovely story, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it & though very sad in parts (had my eyes welling up), it was lovely to hear of the relationships your bunnies formed.

I hope Noah & Poppy have many happy years together, I cant look at the pics on my phone but will def be having a peak when I get home.

I've really enjoyed reading your story, all your bunnies have been very lucky to have such a lovely family. Great set-up too! Hope Poppy and Noah are very happy together :love:

Loved your story, we had a similar experience in september/october this year.

Tommy and bicci were a lovely rescue couple. Bicci had recently gone on to metacam for her old achy bones, she was at least 9. Eventually her hind legs just gave up so we had to let her go, my 12yr old daughter insisted on staying with her at the vets, I was very proud of her pet dedication.

Tommy grieved terribly so we rescued a REW Twinkle, sadly Tommy died 2wks after we got Twinkle I strongly believe that although he was ill it was really cos he couldnt live with out grumpy Bicci.

Twink was then alone again, 5yr alone, 2wk of instant love/bonding. So now we have Ozzie, hes been here nearly 2wks, they were together straight away and oh how he loves her. Hes only about 2 and shes a good 5 and half so I know whats probably ahead of us but I couldnt see her alone and they had an instant attraction so what does age matter.

Its lovely to read of other like minded bunnie people, my friends just think I am slightly mad and thats putting it politely lol.

Thank you, sorry to hear your sad news too :-(

Loved your story, we had a similar experience in september/october this year.

Tommy and bicci were a lovely rescue couple. Bicci had recently gone on to metacam for her old achy bones, she was at least 9. Eventually her hind legs just gave up so we had to let her go, my 12yr old daughter insisted on staying with her at the vets, I was very proud of her pet dedication.

Tommy grieved terribly so we rescued a REW Twinkle, sadly Tommy died 2wks after we got Twinkle I strongly believe that although he was ill it was really cos he couldnt live with out grumpy Bicci.

Twink was then alone again, 5yr alone, 2wk of instant love/bonding. So now we have Ozzie, hes been here nearly 2wks, they were together straight away and oh how he loves her. Hes only about 2 and shes a good 5 and half so I know whats probably ahead of us but I couldnt see her alone and they had an instant attraction so what does age matter.

Its lovely to read of other like minded bunnie people, my friends just think I am slightly mad and thats putting it politely lol.

Hi There, I'm sooo sorry to hear your sad news, Must have been horrible for Tommy, I know what you mean...like humans and other animals it is not unusual for a living thing to die of a broken heart, he wanted to join her at the bridge. Bicci in all likelihood probably waited for him at the foot of rainbow bridge so they facing their new existence together, which is sort of lovely, though sad for you guys. We often talk to our gals in their Acer garden pot where they laid next to each other....

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/... past and present/2011-10-17_16-23-38_661.jpg

We also had to Canvas prints made. One of LuLu and Bumps together and one of Noah and Lulu snuggled together. We often talk to them in passing too. Yes people think we are crazy, But they are part of our family, so we will mourn more than when some relatives pass on. Animals rely on humans who love them, as they have no voice or say.

I know what you mean when it comes to trying to find a Bunny companion of similar age...but Noah was 2 or 3 when he paired with LuLu who we think was 7-8 and they were deeply in love with each other...though Noah was frustrated when LuLu was unable to play much at all due to her age and she was ALWAYS a lady of leisure who preferred her comfortable surroundings lol. so he would sprint and binki on his own, then come and snuggle up to her and give her an all over SPA afterwards. She would often lay her head on his back like a pillow. Was lovely to watch on the Bun Cam (cctv in hutch..it's so cheap these days )

Noah Now has POPPY who is just as mad and crazy, playing, sprinting around like he does. They chase each other and play hide and seek, it's so funny. He still does have the occasional day where he is sad. He looks at the garden and her laminated photo in the hutch as he falls asleep. They say they have short memories....Which is Rubbish. LuLu used to 2 years on go up and kiss bumpy's photo and as she knew she was near the end we noticed her looking at the photo more and then looking at the garden Acer urn a LOT more....telling bumpy she was coming home soon I guess..:cry:

I like this forum, it's like one big family of Bunny Loving people (well I guess it is !! :D )

Thank you too for sharing

Regards

SAM and TamSin

Last edited:
Back