• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA Standards

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
I know we have a few people involved with the RSPCA and others who have had dealings with, and i have a question, before i contact a centre/HQ directly via email to ask, as i'm genuinely curious.

Is there a 'standard' that each 'branch' (although i know they aren't necessarily associated with HQ, but carry the name and are their own entity) has to follow for rabbit rehoming?

E.g, do all rabbits that are going to be rehomed have to be;

a) homechecked
b) vaccinated (against one or both of the known illnesses?)
c) neutered/spayed

?

No.

As I understand it they have guidance from like a regional area but they don't HAVE to follow it. Iv'e been doing research into the different rehoming policies at various RSPCAs and it's very interesting the wide variety and what the different Branches and Centres say. Some are clearly excellent, some are 'ok', some are very much lacking.

Last edited:
What SykO said. Ours neuter all buns and vaccs for mxy but not vhd and all are homechecked. That said I have my doubts about some checkers rabbit checking abilities :(

As they don't follow a standard, it answers the question i had.

A friend back where we used to live had two buns, male/female. The male passed away last week from old age, and the female is apparently suffering from missing her partner.

They went to one of the local RSPCA branches, but they myxi/vhd vacc :)thumb:) but don't neuter/spay routinely and was told "it'll be fine, the female is old so she won't worry about the male humping her and she won't get pregnant".

Just didn't make sense that they said that and don't routinely spay/neuter, yet the RSPCA are who they are :(

As they don't follow a standard, it answers the question i had.

A friend back where we used to live had two buns, male/female. The male passed away last week from old age, and the female is apparently suffering from missing her partner.

They went to one of the local RSPCA branches, but they myxi/vhd vacc :)thumb:) but don't neuter/spay routinely and was told "it'll be fine, the female is old so she won't worry about the male humping her and she won't get pregnant".

Just didn't make sense that they said that and don't routinely spay/neuter, yet the RSPCA are who they are :(

Thats appauling :( We never let any of our rabbits go unless their current rabbit is neutered. Our branch are known to be 'strict' to the home visiting team, its sad as we are in no way strict, we just understand what rabbits need and rehome them to better homes than what they have came to us from. Our rabbit rehoming is at a standstill, yet i know of other rescues in close proximity who are rehoming rabbits left, right and centre :(

Nope I've heard of some only fixing males and others not doing homechecks when they know the person

Some dont homecheck for Rabbits, only Dogs and Cats :cry:

It really is a case of how each Centre is run, regardless of operating under the RSPCA banner.

I agree they're all different. I'm very happy with my local branch though, they neuter/spay all the buns, vaccinate them against myxi and VHD, microchip them and homecheck. They have strict housing guidelines too for rabbits, with a minimum of a 6 x 3 x 3ft hutch with a large attached run but they say it's better to have a shed/wendy house with an attached run. :D

The branch were I got Alfred from didn't do a home check when I got him, I had to fill in a questionnaire to say what size hutch etc he was on, bizarrely they also asked if my house was owned / rented / council etc.

Although I think they do home checks now, they've also changed their policy on single buns too, they'll only let them go as a pair or be bonded with your existing rabbit. They won't let one go on their own to be a house rabbit :-(

Back