• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

prpbable spinal damage, survival information please - urgent

My wee Rosie landed funny yest afternoon, and has spent the night at the vets. She appears to be paralysed from just behind front paws, could drag herself around but no movement or feeling - vet jagged her whole way down the back - didnt flinch. We agreed to leave her there on pain killers and see how she is today. No xray done yet, (unfortunately it can come down to costs) but Vet has said it may nerve damage. We have more or less three options, have her put to sleep if no improvement overnight, xray her and if back broke, have her put to sleep, or if she has perked up a bit vet will try to arrange for us to look after her at home - however no matter what there is a VERY good chance she wont get use of her back legs back. My question - is that fair on the rabbit??

Is is feasable for a rabbit to live with only the use of her front paws - she has a mate who is missing her terribly (he hasnt eaten since last night) so decisions have to made with him in mind as well.

I dont want to keep her going when she is living out her life in pain, but if she can still be here and be happy I would find a way of making their house invalid friendly.

Xrays certainly, i don't think personally it would be fair to keep a bunny with a broken back going, as quality of life is going to be minimal :(

I'm so sorry this has happened to you and that her bonded friend is struggling with her absence :(

Lots of vibes, peaceful if necessary.

Xrays certainly, i don't think personally it would be fair to keep a bunny with a broken back going, as quality of life is going to be minimal :(

I'm so sorry this has happened to you and that her bonded friend is struggling with her absence :(

Lots of vibes, peaceful if necessary.

I agree with this BUT if it is nerve damage there is a chance that she can recover. I would opt for an Xray if no improvement this morning. That would at least rule out/confirm a fracture.

What a horrible accident, I am very sorry :cry:

I agree with this BUT if it is nerve damage there is a chance that she can recover. I would opt for an Xray if no improvement this morning. That would at least rule out/confirm a fracture.

What a horrible accident, I am very sorry :cry:

Completely agree, if it is nerve damage, nerves can recover :wave: Thank you for adding that Jane, i shuold of done so myself.

just 'phoned vet - nurse tells me no change over night but will have vet phone me shortly. I'm just worried they will get wrong vibes from Rosie re eating etc if she is missing Axl as much as he is missing her. Been surfing the net re if its possible to keep a paralysed rabbit. They are both house rabbits, living in my main room with the freedom to move around. Rosie has never been a jumper, always seemed to be a bit clumsy when jumping in and out the cage - in fact that was probably the most jumping she ever did, jumping over the wee base (with the help of an Argos catalogue as well) to get into the cage.

The are both mini-lops. Rosie is never adventurous, she is albino, and has never gained a lot of confidence to wander far from the cage, she leaves that to Axl.

I dont want to put her to sleep if she can have any quality of life with Axl. Since I took her to the vet yesterday Axl has not been near me, he usually welcomes me in the morning and comes looking for a treat but he is staying well clear of me. He is hiding in his wee corner and licking the stuffed Rosie look-a-like I put down for him. He has nibbled some food that I put directly in front of him but has decided it is better just to keep tipping the dish over and scatter it.

Can Axl survive without Rosie..... (it was love at first sight between them) but can Rosie survive with damaged back limbs... and how do I know she's not suffering......

vet has phoned me back - wants to put her to sleep.... no change in her legs overnight, but not eating this morning..... I have suggested its because she is missing Axl but vet not happy to let her home with strong pain killers.

Says the paralysis can cause other complications as well apparently, if we were to have her home, such as sores, infection etc.

vet has phoned me back - wants to put her to sleep.... no change in her legs overnight, but not eating this morning..... I have suggested its because she is missing Axl but vet not happy to let her home with strong pain killers.

Says the paralysis can cause other complications as well apparently, if we were to have her home, such as sores, infection etc.

Here's a funky idea. Why not take Axl in to the vets, see if they both brighten up when they see each other? (there's a bond issue as bonded rabbits may not like the fact their friend now smells different after being seperated, they may be confused why one has left the other) but i think it may be worth it, are they going to do the xrays?

My Eddie was paralysed from just behind the front legs for over a month, when I first got him.

He very slowly got some movement back! Definitely x-ray for a broken back, but otherwise, so long as she's eating I wouldn't be so hasty to put her to sleep!

Eddie has fully recovered and can even jump over a stair gate when the mood tajes him. Sometimes he gets a bit of a stiff back and needs metacam but other than that he leads a wonderful life. My vet said to consider putting him to sleep and look at him now.

If you want any information about keeping her clean, stopping urine scald or what we went through just let me know!

vet asked me about xrays, but to be very very honest, I cant afford the £100 she quoted (on top of whatever the last 24hrs have cost). I did discuss the cost with her and she was sympathetic and told me an xray would probably only confirm what she already thinks, that the back is broke and it would be unfair to keep her alive. It is breaking my heart, especially that Axl is running away from me.

Would it be wrong to attempt to bring her home....

I had thought of taking Axl in to see her. He is pinning for her so much, and it may help him understand that she is unwell.... or am I being daft there.

This is so unfair, I feel it was my fault as she was on my knee when she decided to jump to the floor, and got it all wrong........

vet asked me about xrays, but to be very very honest, I cant afford the £100 she quoted (on top of whatever the last 24hrs have cost). I did discuss the cost with her and she was sympathetic and told me an xray would probably only confirm what she already thinks, that the back is broke and it would be unfair to keep her alive. It is breaking my heart, especially that Axl is running away from me.

I had thought of taking Axl in to see her. He is pinning for her so much, and it may help him understand that she is unwell.... or am I being daft there.

This is so unfair, I feel it was my fault as she was on my knee when she decided to jump to the floor, and got it all wrong........

I would take Axl to see her and he can say his goodbyes. It will help him come to terms with his loss.

I really am so sorry, it was not your fault but a tragic accident :cry:

If she is going to be PTS, you should take him in so he can say goodbye, rabbits need to understand that their partners are gone, they are such social animals :(

I don't really know what to say about the cost situation, is there anyone you could borrow it from and pay back? I think i'd want to be sure, and make the decision an informed one, rather than an assumed one, but obviously, this is completely and 100% up to you and i don't want you to feel bad because you couldn't do as i mention, it's just a thought.

Accidents happen, please don't blame yoyrsef.

RubyTed, when you got your bunny was it a confirmed back break or nerve damage that had caused the paralysis
?
If I thought there was any chance of her improving I would have her home (as long as not in pain that I wasnt aware of). I am already used to cleaning her bottom, she is such a placid wee thing.

How tragic :(

Have you asked the vet if they'll let you pay in instalments instead of one lump sum? The only downside of this of course is if you do have to have Rosie pts you'll still be paying her bill for several months after she's gone BUT at least you'll know you did everything possible for her.

My 2 girls sometimes make me hold my breath when they unexpectedly break free and jump down all funny (not funny ha ha) but thus far I've been lucky (or they have).

How terribly hard for you to have to make such a decision. My heart goes out to you but you must put Rosie first; not yourself and not Axl either; he will get over losing his buddy eventually.

Sending loadsa vibes and squishes.

RubyTed, when you got your bunny was it a confirmed back break or nerve damage that had caused the paralysis
?
If I thought there was any chance of her improving I would have her home (as long as not in pain that I wasnt aware of). I am already used to cleaning her bottom, she is such a placid wee thing.

You would definitely need an Xray before making a diagnosis. Personally I could not bring her home without knowing for certain that her back was not broken

She may also need help emptying her bladder, or even catheterising. I honestly dont think bringing her home is wise unless you know exactly what you are dealing with. The consequences could be pretty awful :cry: Sorry to be blunt, I dont mean to add to your distress :cry:

phoned the vet again, Rosie has made no attempt to move about the cage. Her food is in front of her and she is just nibbling, she hasnt passed anything overnight or today either, so definitely not looking good. I asked about bringing in Axl but they are against that - incase he injures her by kicking out.

Think I have to let the head rule the heart here.

Just read this thread.

I'm so sorry for you and your buns.

What a difficult time for you all.

Wanted to wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide. And don't forget, RU are here for you.

Take care. x

phoned the vet again, Rosie has made no attempt to move about the cage. Her food is in front of her and she is just nibbling, she hasnt passed anything overnight or today either, so definitely not looking good. I asked about bringing in Axl but they are against that - incase he injures her by kicking out.

Think I have to let the head rule the heart here.

What does your gut feeling tell you?

So sorry to hear all this :( What an awful thing to happen to you and your bun.

I would personally want an x-ray doing but I understand about cost. Fortunately I have people willing to borrow me any money that is needed. I hope you do what you feel is right, only you will know whats right for her.

Sending you both vibes x

Back