• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Glaucoma/sight problems

MichG

Mama Doe
So with the on going saga with Minky and her EC, it seems that she is in the early stages of Glaucoma. The pressures are slightly up in both her eyes so they have to be re tested in 2 weeks.

I just windered if anyone has any tips for a bun with eye problems? She has a cataract in one of her eyes which the vet says she now has very very very limited vision - if any at all and the other eye has a slight cataract so she is losing sight in that one too. She is only 8 months old. Does anyone know if cataracts can be halted or is it definite her other eye will get worse.

My poor girl. She is an out door bunny and lives with 4 other buns, she seems to be coping ok, just a bit quiet, but I just have no experience with buns who can't see very well. Should I be taking any special measures for her?

I HATE EC!!!!

Poor Minky :cry:

Rabbits can cope with total loss of vision. Keeping their environment consistent with no new obstacles etc is necessary. Having a Rabbit friend is also very beneficial. I have no experience of having a blind Rabbit within a bonded group, just with one other Rabbit. But I would imagine that you would need to be very mindful re any potentially bullying within the colony. Should this become an issue then it may be necessary to remove Minky and one other Rabbit and have them as a bonded pair.

Glaucoma can be very painful, is she on any treatment to get the intra-occular pressure down ?

In some cases advanced and uncontrolled Glaucoma may result in the Rabbit having to lose the eye/eyes. That is what happened with the late Mr Bean once drug treatment failed to keep things under control. He was MUCH happier after surgery, so I think that even on treatment the glaucoma was giving him a degree of discomfort. Sadly EC had effected his Kidney's too though and it was cystic kidneys/renal failure that ended his life, not his eye problems.

Back