• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do you worm your rabbits?

madcatwoman

Mama Doe
My old rabbits were never wormed, I didnt know you did.

My new bunnies have been neutered at Vets 4 Pets, not my regular vet. While I was there they gave me a leaflet - £55 per year for 2 x mixi jabs and 1 x vhd, then panucur wormer.

I spoke to my vet tonight because vets for pets is miles away to see if my vet would price match, but it turned out theres not much in it anyway. But she said if the buns were on grass or if they were new to you it was advisable to give the a wormer. I have had one bunny a month, the other a week, both rescue buns that I dont think ever got let out of their hutches long enough to feel grass.

Now they live with us they have a large patio but no grass area.

So do I worm them??

This is a topic much in debate, if you type in to the search box about worming then you will see what I mean.
I started a thread 'Do you worm your rabbit' a while ago, try looking for that as there are a lot of opinions alongside a poll.
The general overview now seems to be that there is no point routinely worming with the 9 day course 3-4 times a year as this does not treat or prevent EC which is a major parasite, what seems to be best to do is 'Treat' for EC once or twice a year for 28 days, that way you will kill EC along with any other parasitic worm.

No. I won't put chemicals into my bunnies bodies they don't need unless there are clear signs/symptoms that it's required.

Same theory as not using anti-biotics unless 100% needed. Bacteria can learn to fight against the meds and so a immune response may not then help bunny in the future.

We are still very much in thought about this and will bring it up with our vet again when we next go. However I dont think we will as ours live on the patio and not on the grass. But we are still not completly sure.

I dont worm Rolo.

Hes a house-bun, but does go outside. No other animals have access to our garden as its got a high fence all around it.

I check his poos everyday for odditiess so I would notice if there was anything wriggly:shock:

Rach x

I only worm my two after they have been to rabbit hotel, as they have been in the vicinity of other rabbits. It is just a precaution for me really.

Never wormed any of mine in the 16/17 years i have had rabbits.
as Graham says i wouldn't unless they showed symptoms.

my vet mentioned it to me last time i was in but i declined and she hasn't asked me since!

not sure. I bought some panacur and now have been put off using it. :roll: My mum keeps saying it's been a waste of money so I should use it so I am going to eventually but don't know if I will again unless they need it.

I wondered as well - the vet asked the other day. Mine were wormed as babies as didn't know otherwise.

rachylou

This is a topic much in debate, if you type in to the search box about worming then you will see what I mean.
I started a thread 'Do you worm your rabbit' a while ago, try looking for that as there are a lot of opinions alongside a poll.
The general overview now seems to be that there is no point routinely worming with the 9 day course 3-4 times a year as this does not treat or prevent EC which is a major parasite, what seems to be best to do is 'Treat' for EC once or twice a year for 28 days, that way you will kill EC along with any other parasitic worm.

Could you explain a bit further please? I don't understand.

i wish i had been told to give panacur for 28 days when i got my buns,my 1 bun has e c which could have been prevented if i had given her panacur when i got her,i will always give it to my present and future buns.its only £6 at pets at home or ££££££££££££ in vet bills!

I wondered as well - the vet asked the other day. Mine were wormed as babies as didn't know otherwise.

rachylou

Could you explain a bit further please? I don't understand.

Probably best to speak to Helen (Duchess) as she was the one who explained it to us.

Thank you everyone. I think my answer will be no thank you when they go for their jabs on Monday.

Thats of course providing Ozzie hasnt gone to the vets early with a broken bone. He jumped onto the garden chair this morning then launched himself across to the slippy glass top garden table! then sat there staring in the kitchen window! Problem was when he jumped down he went from table to floor complete with a stunt roll. Needless to say I have put the chair in the garage. He is totally fine, think I may know why he was inthe rescue. haha

No. I won't put chemicals into my bunnies bodies they don't need unless there are clear signs/symptoms that it's required.
I was planning to Panacur them - but the first time I went to see the rabbit vet I asked him how I should fit it (the 28 day EC preventive course) in among all the other meds. He told me he didn't advise its routine use in rabbits without symptoms, due to the danger of side effects.
Until this thread, I hadn't heard anything else along these lines, and even got told when I cancelled the order for the Panacur on the phone that I should really give them it.
I would disagree with a human being given unnecessary drugs - the vet had made me realise it could be right to have the same view about my pets.

I tried to when Fiver was a baby but he hated it so much that I gave up. My general opinion is that it's not worth it since wormed bunnies get EC regardless.

Back