• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dont want to give up on him - vet says to put him down

Mia

Warren Scout
Hi

I have written quite afew times about Miffy. This time I dont have any answers. A blood test last year showed very early signs of renal failure. His progressive weight loss over the past few months have been monitored and today I got the results of the second one.

The vet said that the kidney problems are serious, and has said that really the only choice is to have him put down. Only a couple of weeks ago he was weighed when he had stasis. He was only 160 then, today when he was weighed he was 140g.

I am feeding him by hand four times a day. He has only shown signs of depression and lethargy these last few weeks.

The vet said we could also test for other problems via a urine test, but has said that there is no solution for the kidney failure. I cant bear to give up on him, and his brother, Snuffy is devoted to him which also breaks my heart.

Does anyone have any advice or is having him put down the only solution. I dont want to keep him going for my sake only but I cant bear having to make the decision.

Is he on any mediation for his chronic renal failure ?

Meds could include anabolic steroid injections, Vitamin B injections, ACE inhibitors eg Fortekor

Is he having any fluid therapy ?

the vet says steriods wont work due to his renal failure. Yes vet mentioned some fluids, to be honest I didnt quite take it all in. So cant remember exact details.

he didnt recommend any meds really, as far as I remember...

I dont want to read and run, really sorry that Miffy is so poorly.

The only things I can suggest is to take someone with you when you go back to the vets so you can remember all the points he makes, and also maybe to take some notes/questions of your own to the appointment so you feel that all the bases have been covered. I wondered if there would be any merit at all in your vet seeking an urgent expert second opinion, say from someone like Richard Saunders, as to whether there is anything more that can be done to help your bun.

I honestly don't know what to say, I;m just really sorry you and your bun are in this situation xx

Aww hun, I can completly understand why you dont want to give up on him, I would be exactly the same in that situation which I pray I never am, I am sure you understand.
I would take advice and take someone with you next time you go so you will remember everything that is said and come away and think about every possibility, there are things that could be done to help him live the remainder of his life more comfortably I am sure.

I think I need to look at facts, unless you guys know of bunnies that can live a reasonably long and comfortable time with what Miffy has, I dont have any choice. If they did kidney transplants in bunnies I wouldnt hesitate.

I just cant bear the desision. Makes me feel sick.

Thanks for the advice re Richard Saunders, sorry to be dumb but who is he and will he take a call from anyone? I do feel that I need to speak to another vet from another practice.

I work at the Blue Cross on a Fri morn, maybe I should see if the vet is in and ask there, although I would really like to ask a very bunny savvy vet, most vets I have come across are too quick to write them off.

Thanks for your advice so far.

the vet says steriods wont work due to his renal failure. Yes vet mentioned some fluids, to be honest I didnt quite take it all in. So cant remember exact details.

he didnt recommend any meds really, as far as I remember...

I mean anabolic steroids, not corticosteroids

Scroll down on this link you will come to a section entitled 'Specific Medical Treaments'

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/ChronicRenalLagomorph.htm

A couple more references

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...nepage&q=rabbit chronic renal failure&f=false

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...nepage&q=rabbit chronic renal failure&f=false

ETA Richard Saunders is based at Bristol Rabbit Clinic. You would need to either request a referral there or maybe suggest that your Vet telephones him

http://www.langfordvets.co.uk/rabbit_team.htm

Last edited:
thank you Jacks Jane, that is really useful. Why hasnt my vet thought of this though?:shock:

thank you Jacks Jane, yes I have just seen your update. Thanks very much for your help

My Bridge Bun Sue lost a lot of weight and after tests the vet said she only had half a kidney working. He intimated that it would be kinder to PTS but I knew that wasn't what Sue wanted. She had no medication but I put her on a low calcium, high calorie diet and she steadily increased weight. My vet was amazed at how well she did.

All the time she had a good quality of life I continued allowing her to continue, even after she lost weight again. She got lots of 'naughty' treats and loved her porridge oats. One morning I went out and she was huddled at the edge of her hutch and I knew she had had enough. Her body had begun to shut down and she died while the vet was drawing up the syringe to sedate her prior to PTS. It was an incredibly peaceful death. Sue had become very thin but she still enjoyed her food, and after I built her some steps (the jump out of the hutch became too much for her) she sometimes came out of her hutch to mix with her bunny companions.

I don't regret letting her have those extra months - she saw sunshine and nice weather again.

Sue didn't need to be fed by hand as she always loved her noms.

I would ask for a second opinion if you are unsure what to do.

Thinking of you and Miffy xxx

thank you Rihanna, I am not ready give up on Miffy yet. He is already on a low calcuim diet as he had sludgy bladder some years ago.

I mostly feed him "sludge" which is ground up excel nuggets (to compound matters he doesnt have any teeth left!), he also likes porridge and as a treat a lick of peanut butter. I believe if I can keep his weight up for a bit longer he should be ok for a little longer. He is still very much himself, loves food, and cuddles from his brother and still gets excited when I go to his treat cupboard.

Just in case you were thinking of asking for a second opinion from someone like Richard Saunders, I *think* he has left Langford Vets and is now at Highcroft: http://www.highcroftvet.co.uk/exotic_pets_-_expert_veterinary_care

Really hope Miffy can stay comfortable for a while yet.

Helgalush is right, Richard has indeed left Langford.

Alternatively, another referalls vet, Ian Sayers, at Abbotskerwell Vets run a referrals clinic, but your vet must do the referal. They are in Devon, just south of Exeter if you are anywhere near there? I can recommend him, Ginger was referred to him and yvette (RU member) has him as her regular vet.

Thanks for your advice so far guys.

I have spoken to vets, who has agreed to try him on anabolic steriods. He is also going to do a urine test to see if there isnt any other things lurking.

As Miffy does not appear to be suffering, I believe I should give this a try and see what happens.

Good luck. I think bunnies let us know when they are ready to go.

I hope you and Miffy have many more happy days together.

Back