• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any tips to help a stressed rabbit?

Pipkin01

Warren Scout
Hi, I've been asked to advice some oneon how to deal with stress in their rabbit. The rabbit gets very stressed when coming to the vets and they were wondering if they was anything they could give the bunny to help.

I'm going to ring them to find out exactly when the rabbit gets stressed, whether it's in the car, in the waiting room or in the consult room. I was just wondering if any one gave anything to their rabbits to help calm them? I would rather suggest something herbal than a medication.

It's a shame a rabbit appeasing pheromone isn't available in this country!

Thanks in advance for your advice

Dr Bach rescue remedy has been used before by some on here.

That's great, thank you! Have just done a quick search on here and found out some more about rescue remedy. From what I can gather 16 drops a day, split into four drops at a time. Can either go on food or in water or on top of their head in between the ears.

Shall give them a call tomorrow and talk them through what I have found out :)

I think that is for humans...............................

I would maybe try just a drop.

Last edited:
Be aware that rescue remedy, like most flower remedies are prepared with alcohol. The alcohol in tinctures in general per dose is likened to the same amount produced by the human body when you've eaten a banana or a slice of wholemeal bread, so because you arent having much its okay, but its something to be aware of with smaller animals.

I would find out if they have a friend and if the friend comes too, my buns are more stressy if they are separated for the vets.

Leaving the carrier out for them to play in all the time can help remove fear of the carrier. If the stress isnt too bad, ie doesnt cause gut problems they could try taking the rabbit just out for short drives without going to the vet if bun gets scared in the car. Basically getting him to disassociate the things he is scared of with the vets.

That's great thankyou. Need to talk to them and find precise details as at the moment all I know is their bunny gets stressed. Want to find out exactly when it gets stressed so I can give useful advice.

Back