• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor cage

zeezee

New Kit
Hi, I am currently a rat mummy but mine are getting on a bit now and the OH isnt too found of them. I am thinking about transitioning to rabbit mummy but I have a huge cage for rats, want to know if it would be suitable for rabbits.
Cage
I know it will probably take a bit of customisation, do you think its suitable to do something like I saw had been done with a dog crate?

There isn't really enough floor space. Rabbits need to be able to take several steps across the cage, be able to lay down comfortably and be able to stand up on their hind legs.
The reccomended hutch size is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft with an attached run of 6ft x either 4ft or 8ft (depending on rescue rehoming policies)

Does it have to be all 6ft on one level, was simply thinking of doing same thing as this, make if effectively 4 levels, effectively 12ft total floor space.

It's preferable to be on one level, ramps take away from floor space and they're not designed to be going up and down ramps a lot for their exercise :)

If you're letting them have free roam of a room you still need to bunny proof so you may as well bunny proof anyway and let them have free roam all the time ;)

Would but we also have a cat in the house and cant be sure that no one in the house would open the door and let the cat in :shock:
What sort of sizes are these dog crates that I see people use? Doesnt seem like they are massive with loads of head room, but might be because there no perspective in the pics?

Ooo, brain wave...
What if I lay my cage on its back? Had doors opening into the air?
It would be 4ft x3ftx2ft

Dog crates are best for use as a base for a free ranging rabbit, or with a puppy pen attached. The biggest ones are about four foot. Really you need at least six foot and regular exercise time for several hours a day. You could just get a puppy pen and put it up when you need it, or there are mesh panels that you can easily build an enclosure with.

Just realised I have a set of those pannels that clip together, would it be suitable if I built a permanent run outside of the cage with those in addition.
Been doing research on other animal needs and I keep coming back to buns, they would be my preference.

The original cage is completely unsuitable for rabbits, i'd scrap that idea.

Best bet is as already has been mentioned. NIC Grids are fine for making accomodation, but not permanent full sized. House rabbits will need more space than they can provide along with bunny proofing. You also need the metal NIC grids, not the plastic ones, which get chewed through very promptly.

House buns need as much space as outdoor buns, so 6x2 + 8x6 i think is the current sizing requirements. That's 60 sqft of permanently accessible space.

Back