• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny private parts-embarrasing question

Kristina

New Kit
thats a bit of an emabrassing question, but anyways,
Kevin was neuretered 6 months ago. when i was cleaning him in the bum area a little while ago (couse he had a bit of a stomach upset and it staned his fur), i noticed somth a little strange. To say it plainly: he's got yellow gunky styff on the skin folds in the sides of his penis. there is no wounds there or anything i checked. is that normal? maybe he is still producing some 'male juices' and they accumulate there?

I have absolutely no idea, but maybe a phone call to your vet and speak to a Nurse over the phone? Our reception staff are very helpful over the phone so yours should be too.

Scent glands.

Rabbits have scent glads on either side of their genitalia. You can clean them with a cotton wool stick and some cooled boiled water, sometimes they get a bit gunky.

Fortunately, i've never had to do it, so can't offer advice on how, but others here will.

Scent glands.

Rabbits have scent glads on either side of their genitalia. You can clean them with a cotton wool stick and some cooled boiled water, sometimes they get a bit gunky.

Fortunately, i've never had to do it, so can't offer advice on how, but others here will.

:thumb: Sounds like scent glands to me too.

hehe thanks. it didnt look like anything bad to me either. its hard to clean though as Kevin obviously doesnt like to be touched down there. so maybe just every ones in a while clean would suffice as i dont want to stess his out especially if its somth completely natural.

When cleaning Ellie's bottom I noticed 2 "slits" full of gunky black stuff on either side of her genitals. I panicked thinking it was some kind of abscess :roll: I looked at Fiver and he had the exact same thing so I googled it. They were the scent glands :lol: I felt rather silly but glad it was normal lol.

They stink! Its one of the worst jobs! :lol: You need to be very careful and gentle when you do it as you are right, the skin is very delicate in that area.

I just use warm water and cotton buds or a piece of cotton wool twisted in to a cotton bud sort of shape. Bunny doesnt like it; you wont like it; but it needs doing if its gunky. Good luck. :lol:

I once used a little sunflower oil to soften things up overnight & my bun cleaned himself up completely. (Poor fella)

When cleaning Ellie's bottom I noticed 2 "slits" full of gunky black stuff on either side of her genitals. I panicked thinking it was some kind of abscess :roll: I looked at Fiver and he had the exact same thing so I googled it. They were the scent glands :lol: I felt rather silly but glad it was normal lol.

the EXACT same thing happened to me a few months back, when i discovered rabbits has scent glands down there!!:oops: it only took me nearly 19 years to realise this:oops::oops::roll: i can't believe i never knew about them before!:oops:i was routinely checking over one of my boys Harry when i saw these two slits and the yellow substance i thought oh my goodness, what IS this?? :shock::shock: i was horrified thinking he had some kind of infection or abcess that i hadn't noticed before! i had visions of trips to the vet, trying to explain what i had found..., harry was neutered over two years ago before we adopted him, so i thought oh what if it is "something" left from his neutering that has got infected:shock: panic panic i then had a quick look at his brother Frankie, and lo and behold he had them too, so i thought hang on a minute, ....maybe it isn't something so terrible:?, checked the other boys ,( not easy looking for scent glands on a very unimpressed 6kg bunny!) and i soon realised my does even had them too, phew panic over! after a few google searches that set my mind at rest! :oops::roll: i have never smelt anything so awful though:shock: and it was rank but i was just really relieved to know it was all natural and normal :thumb: gave me such a fright at the time but looking back i am glad i didn't rush off to the vets as i can imagine how they would have laughed at me with the "emergency" scent glands!:lol::lol:

Last edited:
Back