• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

poor girl

lucy24

Mama Doe
spoke to vet tuesday to say how she was doing. at the time her nose seemed much better so arranged to continue baytril for another week then go to vet again on monday. however honey was sneezing all night! its a little better this morning but i felt so sorry for her. its still a clear discharge but her sneezing has got worse not better:? im confused. vet said we can look at doing testing or whatever on monday if needed but im worried. he said her teeth looked good but it is possible too have elongated roots without it looking bad on the surface? how much does a culture test cost? also if she has an xray?

spoke to vet tuesday to say how she was doing. at the time her nose seemed much better so arranged to continue baytril for another week then go to vet again on monday. however honey was sneezing all night! its a little better this morning but i felt so sorry for her. its still a clear discharge but her sneezing has got worse not better:? im confused. vet said we can look at doing testing or whatever on monday if needed but im worried. he said her teeth looked good but it is possible too have elongated roots without it looking bad on the surface? how much does a culture test cost? also if she has an xray?

I can answer most of that!

You can't have a C&S test until she's been off abx completely for 7-10 days, it'll be a waste of time/money as it won't be viable due to the abx.

Clear discharge is good, its when it gets thick and horrible that it's a huge problem.

Yes, tooth root elongation is a possibility, where the teeth push up into the nasal tubes (i'm not making a fool of myself again :lol:) and cause infections. There's no cure for this really. You can't see tooth root elongation without an xray so its always possible to be there without it being seen as its teeth pushing up through the jaw into the nasal area.

Our C&S cost £45 i think it was, xrays vary so much,vet to vet, but budget ~£100ish i would have thought. I'd have to fish out an old invoice to find out how much ours cost. It was a while ago.

I have 2 snuffle buns and to be honest baytril didn't work for them at all. I had a c+s done which showed which meds would work best and they are now on marbocyl and metacam. The test didn't cost that much and for what you may be wasting buying baytril is totally worth it.

thanks Grayham i just hate seing her like it:( shes still eating though so thats good:)(well, when charlie doesnt steel her food:roll:)

My boy benji has snuffles, and to be honest baytril has been a waste of time for him. He has had long and short courses of it to no effect.

His culture and sensitivity test came back showing pasturella, and apparently it was sensitive to all types of antibiotics which is a good sign.

The last one he was on was Septrin, which seems to work well for him, but on a long course (roughly 3-4 weeks at a time) and alongside bisolvon and metacam.

My vet encourages me to not go on antibiotics unless it is absolutely necessary and he is having a flare up, as they can quickly become resistant, and that is the last thing you want to happen for when the snuffles gets bad.

Ben always has a runny nose, sore eyes and constantly sneezing, but he is happy in himself, eating is brilliant, these are the things to watch out for, when you can tell they are struggling!

I hope this helps a little bit, I know how terrible and frightening is it :(

aww poor ginger! no its a little different not so many in sequence. i will try and get a video later

have no idea if you'll be able to hear the sneezes-theres only 2 lol (sorry about the bunny messs:roll:)

100% a sneeze, sounds very dry to me, that COULD be a foreign body stuck up her nose. It sounds like an annoying sneeze, not a 'get this stuff out my nose' type sneeze.

Back