• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sinbad - Update & pic 23/12/11

sierra*323

Mama Doe
My friend's dwarf lionhead, Sinbad, has just been diagnosed with EC. Any spare vibes would be appreciated, and also any info from people who have EC bunnies themselves?

Last edited:
Me and my buns are sending huge vibes to your friends bunny, and hoping he makes a fast recovery :wave:

Unfortunately I have never had experience with E.C bunnies, however I am sure someone with more knowledge on this subject will be along soon to give some excellent advice.

x

Sorry to hear about Sinbad.

There are several recent threads about EC buns in the health section (often relating to head tilt and rolling symptoms) so I'd suggest reading those first and see if you have anymore questions.

A quick summary:
- treat with panacur to kill off the parasites
- treat with metacam to relieve pain & inflammation (caused by the parasites, and usually what causes the symptoms)
- treat with baytril or other antibiotic in case of secondary infection (or in case it is an infection rather than EC if head tilt is the only symptom)
- treat with metacloprimide (gut stimulant) if not eating and will help with balance - alternatively use stemetil.

Sending loads of vibes.

Wesley had this. Advice I would give is antibiotics, panacur for the 28 days, and metacam. Keen the bunny warm and in a small space to reduce rolling and falling over. With plenty of blankets. Syringe feeding was needed for Wesley and he took quite a few weeks to start recovering.

Hello.

There is some good advice from katie B :D I have a bunny, Gypsy, who was diagnosed with EC. She had head tilt, was dizzy and kept rolling over. Things did not look good for her at all :( It was scary and upsetting to see her this way.

This all happened late September/early Oct. I treated her with panacar ( and also treated Storm, her bunny friend with panacar ) for 28 days. Took Gypsy to the vet and got metacam and then baytrill. She was on these drugs for 2 weeks.

My little Gypsy bun is OK now :D it looked really bad in the beginning but she is not showing any signs of EC at this time. There is hope :D

Just wanted to send some vibes. I have 2 definite EC buns, but the other 3 that are in with them probably have it too. I don't have much advice at the moment. Luckily mine have not got a head tilt, well not yet any way. Just kidney and eye damage.

One was diagnosed last week and the other this week.

Thank you for all the vibes and advice. He doesn't have head tilt and hasn't been rolling, he has runny eyes, sore bits and a weird limp. He is also toileting everywhere and sitting in it, so needs daily washing. That's as much as I know, he's been given some things by the vet but I'm waiting for an update from my friend. Fingers crossed :(

Thank you for all the vibes and advice. He doesn't have head tilt and hasn't been rolling, he has runny eyes, sore bits and a weird limp. He is also toileting everywhere and sitting in it, so needs daily washing. That's as much as I know, he's been given some things by the vet but I'm waiting for an update from my friend. Fingers crossed :(

Hiya, I hope I'm not speaking out of turn but the symptoms you describe sound more like myxi than EC?! :? Runny eyes and sore 'bits' are the main symptoms of myxi unless I am mistaken. I have had a bun with EC in the past and she didn't have those... Is your friend's vet knowledgable about rabbits?

Hiya, I hope I'm not speaking out of turn but the symptoms you describe sound more like myxi than EC?! :? Runny eyes and sore 'bits' are the main symptoms of myxi unless I am mistaken. I have had a bun with EC in the past and she didn't have those... Is your friend's vet knowledgable about rabbits?

That's what I said initially, but apparently the vet said that he is sore because of his changed toilet habits? Which makes sense I guess. Also, they were putting sudocrem on him to try and make him less sore before he went, and it got much less inflamed - not sure if that would have happened with myxi? I have no experience of either so don't really know! Also I haven't seen him, so can't be very accurate I'm afraid.

As far as I know they took him to the same vet practice as my two go to, but whether they saw the specific rabbit savvy vet that I trust and always ask for, I don't know.

That's what I said initially, but apparently the vet said that he is sore because of his changed toilet habits? Which makes sense I guess. Also, they were putting sudocrem on him to try and make him less sore before he went, and it got much less inflamed - not sure if that would have happened with myxi? I have no experience of either so don't really know! Also I haven't seen him, so can't be very accurate I'm afraid.

As far as I know they took him to the same vet practice as my two go to, but whether they saw the specific rabbit savvy vet that I trust and always ask for, I don't know.

Oh ok I guess that makes sense then! I'm glad you said you thought the same, I'm not talking total rubbish then! I hope Sinbad starts to get better soon x

Thanks for all the vibes. I don't think he has had a blood test, but I'm trying not to ask too many questions as they're going through a really hard time - they lost a close friend to cancer the same day that Sinbad went to the vet :( I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for him now. Not sure what to say! Sad times :(

My Headtilt Bun Blue -
This was only in August, He recovered so well and is one of my happiest, liveliest buns

Rabbits045.jpg

Rabbits055.jpg

Rabbits058.jpg

Just last week -
Blue5-1.jpg

Hes not so wonky now, he still isnt comfortable being picked up, and still gets a bit dizzy, but he has his character back and is a joy to watch.

Please do advise your friend it is not nice to watch and it is heart wrenching, but they do pull through!

Update

Sort of an update - I've just been chatting to Sinbad's mum on facebook. She's seen a different vet, who seems to think it's worse than they originally thought. The new vet thinks his kidneys are failing, is this part of EC too? He's on a 28 day course of meds (can't remember the names) but she has been told that if he gets worse again in the 3 weeks that are left then she will have to consider having him pts as the kindest thing :(

He has no head tilt, but has lost a lot of weight and needs constant washing. As far as I know he is still limping and sore. Fingers crossed the meds kick in :( Thanks for all the replies!

Back