• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some for first time rabbit keeper?

I am considering getting a couple of rabbits however there are a few questions you might be able to help me on.

1. What type of rabbit should we get if there is a toddler in the house
2. What type of home do they need? Would it need to be sheltered if outside and what type of common illnesses would they get which would result in a vets visit and how can they be avoided to keep them in the best of health.

Welcome to the forum!!

Bunnies need 2 vaccinations.Myxomytosis and VHD.
They are sensitive creatures,and tummies can cause problems.So can teeth.

I think there are a few stickys on here which you can read and get more info.

Also, there are members who have toddlers and indoor buns.
Im sure there are ways to get round toddlers......

:wave:

We have three young children (5,2 and 9 months) and we have 2 almost 5 month.old dutch bunnies and they are great! My eldest is the only one who really has anything to do with them as my toddler is way too loud and rough...he does like to put dandilion leaves through the bars to the run :)

What about going to a rescue...that way you can get a really good account of the bunnies temperment :)

My two live outside in a double story 5ft hutch with a 5ft run attatched to the front :) if you want to rescue then contact the rescue and ask their minimum housing requirements :)

Good luck!

Hi and welcome :wave:

Spending some time looking around the site will answer all your questions and much, much more.

I think it would be a good idea to seek out some rescues in your area and go see some bunnies. You will find every age, colour, temperament and breed of rabbit there to choose from.

We have had rabbits and toddlers in the past, indoor and outdoors. The most important factor imo other than whether you have time enough to devote to both is temperament, that of the child and rabbits.

Our current rabbits where brought up with children. Both are rather different buns, one bold and "bombproof" the other more sensitive and easily alarmed although he is the one most likely to sit beside you or on your lap when he was a baby and have nose rubs. Both buns enjoy the company of my youngest son, now 6, he was 3 when they came to us. The rabbits have him trained to give me messages - need snacks etc! and they get him to fetch dandilion leaves, apple tree sticks, lemon balm, sage and rosemary when he is playing in the garden! He is excellent at sitting in the run with them, he plays being a bunny and they hop around after him!

Do look at the stickies, FAQ's etc.

They need a six foot hutch and a six foot run really. So you have to think if you have space for that, or if you can give them the same sort of space inside. What might be nice would be getting a wooden playhouse instead of a hutch so you and the kids can sit in there with them, even in the winter. Unless they're house rabbits, in which case you need to rabbit proof a room for them. This will probably just mean making sure they can't get to wires and they will chew them. As long as the rabbits have a safe place to run to away from the kids I'm sure they'll be fine.

Getting an adult pair from a rescue would probably be best, you'll know what personality they'll have, they'll already be bonded and should already be neutered so that will save you a lot of money and stress. :)

Rabbits are prone to dental issues, they need unlimited hay to help keep their teeth short but some get problems anyway. But again getting an adult rabbit you'll have an idea if they have any health issues already and go for a healthy bun.

Back