• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Extremely calm and not eating!

Wamp

New Kit
Hello.
I noticed today (around 2PM) that one of my bunnies are acting weird, I mean sleeping all day. I kept watching on him and realized he's not eating as well, not pellets nor hay. But he's still drinking water and he keeps licking window and cage wires. He's out in living room all day long and instead of running around (like he usually does) he just sits in the corner. He's definitely not himself today. Colour of the pee looks alright, but haven't seen him pooping. I'm worried because I can't get him to vets until Friday (payday).
What should I do? I tried to give him Critical Care through the syringe but he's extremely against it- trying to get away, looks like he still has a lot of energy.

Not eating and pooping is a medical emergency. You need to get him to a vet asap. Pay on credit card or arrange a payment plan with your vet. I don't want to sound dramatic, but Friday could very well be too late.

it sounds like he really does need to see a vet as a matter of urgency.

any change in behaviour needs to be investigated but not eating and pooping is a medical emergency.

hope he'll be ok.

Not eating and pooping is a medical emergency. You need to get him to a vet asap. Pay on credit card or arrange a payment plan with your vet. I don't want to sound dramatic, but Friday could very well be too late.

it sounds like he really does need to see a vet as a matter of urgency.

any change in behaviour needs to be investigated but not eating and pooping is a medical emergency.

hope he'll be ok.

Agree completely with the above two posts.

If you don't get your bun to a vet before friday, you may not have a bun to take :cry:

Took my baby today, but unfortunately, and if I could say- as always, they can't tell why. Temperature was alright, tummy felt good, has got a lot of energy, but when she listened to the gut she didn't hear any movement obviously because she (yes, actually it's a girl :) ) hasn't been eating.
They gave her pain killer injections and some medicine for me to give to her later.
She looked a little bit better after injection, I mean she still wasn't eating but she was running around. So I still have to feed her with a syringe and then give her more pain killers at 8PM.
I hope she will get better. I've been nursing her since her birth.

i'm glad you managed to get her there quickly and that she's having pain relief.

do you know if the vet also gave her a shot of gut stimulant? did they check her teeth as often dental problems only become apparent when bunny stops eating?

Today she still looks good and keeps running around and doing things she did before, but I haven't seen her eating a lot. She has been eating a little amount of pellets and a little bit of hay, but not as much as she did before.

do you know if the vet also gave her a shot of gut stimulant? did they check her teeth as often dental problems only become apparent when bunny stops eating?

I don't really know about gut stimulant, but they gave two shots and one of them was pain relief... I guess I was just too stressed and worried I couldn't catch up with the vet.
And yes, they checked teeth as well, and they are completely healthy.

The other thing I was thinking that could cause this could be the brother who was brought back after rehoming him to a new owner, unfortunately the girl couldn't keep him because she realized she has an allergy. He was away for few days and when he was back they got on well together, groomed each other and run around. I'm not sure if this could be a reason for her getting ill, but who knows...

Last edited:
Back