• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cable protectors

Vita

Mama Doe
These are not easy to search for. (In among the flat cable cases for office floors were these hot water bottles which I couldn't resist .... I got the Fair Isle one though not the cable knit.)

Where can you get good tube shaped cable protectors(preferably online) - and which come in different lengths, or possibly a really big cut-to-size roll?

Last edited:
You could just cut up a hosepipe
If I had a spare one already I'd consider it as a temporary measure, but I don't. Isn't hose a bit heavy? Thinking it could drag the laptop cable out of the jack socket at some angles.

I've seen those concertina-looking tubes (sorry, don't have a better word to describe them) in a few photos on here. Hoping to be able to cover 3 or 4 items.

If you go for those with holes in be aware that you might have to add another level of protection. Mini would get through those with half a chance. The Ikea ones are good but not particularly thick and again mine could get through them in they really wanted to so I tend to use two layers of that stuff and then tuck the lead behind something as well, mesh panels usually. There is thicker stuff but it tends to be unweilding and difficult to get on. Really it depends on what sort of lead it is, where it will be and if you can block it off as well.

I ordered some of the IKEA ones from eBay last week. It's daft that Ikea themselves don't have such a small item available for online order.
The things it's most inconvenient to keep out of their way are dehumidifiers; might still keep them fenced off with pen panels until I can get two layers of cable protectors.
I've got a big batch of Safco panels ordered, but they were out of stock and I won't get them for a month (if the trader's email is to be believed ... could be longer.)

I ordered some of the IKEA ones from eBay last week. It's daft that Ikea themselves don't have such a small item available for online order.
The things it's most inconvenient to keep out of their way are dehumidifiers; might still keep them fenced off with pen panels until I can get two layers of cable protectors.
I've got a big batch of Safco panels ordered, but they were out of stock and I won't get them for a month (if the trader's email is to be believed ... could be longer.)

Yeah Ikea only do delivery if it's a big item, like a chest of drawers for example, i guess they think it's not worth their while but they must loose a lot of custom like that.

Yeah Ikea only do delivery if it's a big item, like a chest of drawers for example, i guess they think it's not worth their while but they must loose a lot of custom like that.
Yeah. You can buy things like duvet sets from their website, but not all smaller items that look easily postable. There must be some rationale behind that, but I don't quite get it.
I didn't know you could get their furniture online now - so I misadvised my mum about that only last week - but their site says you can buy over 3500 furniture products online. Useful to know. Thanks.

Yeah. You can buy things like duvet sets from their website, but not all smaller items that look easily postable. There must be some rationale behind that, but I don't quite get it.
I didn't know you could get their furniture online now - so I misadvised my mum about that only last week - but their site says you can buy over 3500 furniture products online. Useful to know. Thanks.

Oh that might be the case then, it's been a while since i looked at the website.

Back