• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

indoor/outdoor question

Hello all, although i read the threads on this forum regularly I am a new member, and would really appreciate any advice on a couple of threads I am starting.

Okay, I have my two bunnies which are kept outdoors. There are so many cats in my area and we get foxes too, so my rabbits are kept in a shed with their hutch inside the shed. Their hutch is always left open and they get free run of the shed when I am not at home to let them out in the garden. However, the shed needed a repair last week, so I brought them indoors until it was safe to use again. They are due to go back into the shed, but I am putting it off as I am not sure the impact this could have on them, and wanted some advice first.

I am reading a lot of warning information about putting house rabbits outside, and them not being able to cope with the cold. Do you think it will be okay to put them back outside or will this shock them? There has been a particular temperature drop the last few days.

Needless to say, they have loved causing mayhem in the house!

Personally I think its too cold, but I dont have outdoor buns so I would wait for someone with more experience to come along.

How long were they in for, and did the room they were in have the heating on? Do they have their winter coats?

I imagine these aspects will affect the answer.

The general advice is that housebuns cant be put back out later than late September, and if outside buns are brought in after that time they must stay in till around April.

they have only been in for a week. i have kept them in the hall which is closed off from the rest of the house, and have had the window open the whole time. there isnt a radiator in that hall. they have had run of the house when i have been home, and when i am out and overnight they are in that closed off hall. do you think a week spent indoors is long enough to adjust to house temperature? i havent noticed any moulting of their coats. i didnt think it would be a problem at first, but the last few days the weather has really changed in my area and its become much colder! any suggestions on how to keep the shed warmer over the winter? ive thought about insulation but as they get free run of the shed they might chew it.

any suggestions on how to keep the shed warmer over the winter? ive thought about insulation but as they get free run of the shed they might chew it.[/QUOTE]

My two buns have free range of their shed too and I insulated my shed with large polystyrene sheets from B&Q and then boarded over them with plywood. My two can't chew it or get to it in any way.

My two buns have free range of their shed too and I insulated my shed with large polystyrene sheets from B&Q and then boarded over them with plywood. My two can't chew it or get to it in any way.[/QUOTE]

excellent idea! thats just what im going to do then!

Back