• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rosie has started to drink A LOT of water, HELP?

Hello everyone,

I am becoming quite concerned about my female lop Rosie who is 3/4 of a year old. (we got her in April)

Last week I went out to find her water bottle (700ml) empty, despite having filled it up just over a day (30 hours ish) prior. I went and spoke to my mum about it and said something along the of "Rosie's water bottle is empty already! That's odd for her to drink that much." Anyway my mum said that she had knocked it over during the day and it was probably a leak. I thought that seems a reasonable explanation, as this rapid water consumption had occured so suddenly.

Both my rabbits usually go through a 700ml waterbottle in about 3 days (ish) my 3 year old female Heidi, a little faster than Rosie (which makes sense seen as she is bigger and older) and just to add they both have a hutch of there own, so they do not use eachother's water bottles, nor do have access.

Anyway the 'supposed leaking' continued and one day I tried for a good few hours to find the leak but I couldn't. On saturday Rosie's hutch was moved up onto the patio with Heidi's as the grass gets very slippy to walk on during the winter meaning we were able to she them both from our dining room and kitchen. Now we were able to see the amount she was drinking with our own eyes. She goes through a 700ml bottle of water in just over a day and obviously urinates a lot because of this.

Both of my rabbits rarely go to the toilet in their hutches and wait until they are let out in the morning but, obviously, the excessive amount of water she is drinking means she urinates alot in her bedding area which she just uses as a toilet. Today i watched and saw a large puddle of wee form by the one of the legs of her hutch on the patio, as the woodshavings couldn't absorb anymore and it was leaking though the small gap where the floor and walls of the hutch are joined together. Despite me cleaning out her bedding area numerous times a week.

Other than there excessive drinking and urinating she is fine. She is still her spritely, curious, happy self that she always has been. She has always been rather greedy; since we got her, but I guess she polishes off the pellets we give her every night and the mound of hay (3 large handfuls) faster too. I mean by the morning both rabbits have usually cleared their dishes but Rosie seems to eat all of her pellets in one go and within a hour(ish) of being put away. and then she moves onto the hay which is gone by morning, unlike Heidi who takes a couple od days to eat it all.

I am quite concerned as I know it could indicate a underlying problem and will probably require a trip to the vets but my mother atm doesnt seem to think so and thinks the extra water she is drinking could be to do with the load of hay she eats which makes her thristy? Could this be a possibility?

We have spend hundreds on our rabbits and they are well looked after: getting them both spayed, vaccinated, painkillers for when Rosie hurt her leg, and various painkillers and supplements for Heidi on numerous occasions for serious gut problems she had. That and all the appointments and check ups. and something like this which couldnt require various tests and such if it is something underlying is concerning, one because Rosie could have organ problems and two as it will undoubtedly end up being so expensive and I'm worried that we may not be able to afford it which may only mean one thing, which I stand to think about. It's pretty much like emotional blackmail nowadays with Vets. I just hope we can afford the costs if that is the case and that Rosie will end up being okay.

I need to try persuade my mother to take her to the vets, but most of the time she says im over reacting. But considerign this started quite suddenly last week I know there has to be something wrong.

Any opinions, feedback and adivce will be greatly appreciated.

I just want my lovely girl to be okay :(

K x

Last edited:
Hi Katie,

There are a few things that can cause excessive drinking and urination, these include, but are not exhaustive of;

Dental Issues
Kidney problems

I know it's going to be difficult, but if she is suffering from either of the above, it could be painful and the longer it is left, the harder it can be to treat.

By the fact your mum is going to pay for the vet bills and isn't keen on spending money on diagnostics, could you speak to a vet and ask about a payment plan perhaps, to pay back in installments?

I have a bun who drinks ~1.5L of water per day, as her kidneys are shot to bits, but with the correct diet and daily pain relief for that and other problems, she's doing well. So it goes to show, it can be alright, but you do need a vet to look at her and determine this. This may involve xrays, blood tests, ultrasounds as well as the obvious consultations etc.

Good luck :)

Thankyou for your speedy reply and your info on what it could be.

The thing is I can afford to take her to the vets myself as I work and have a couple hundred in my bank. Despite this my mother just doesn't want to take me and inisists because her behaviour hasnt changed there cannot be something wrong.

I have even spoken to a vet on the phone who said it could be something underlying and we should bring her in and told my mother this but still she says im being paranoid and that she doesnt want to spend £30 just to be told there isnt anythring wrong with Rosie.

She won't even take her even if i offer to pay, which i will happily do just to be safe than sorry and it turns out there isnt a problem.

She keeps saying we will monitor the situation, despite me having done that for a week now.

I don't want her to get worse if it is something underlying and then her beahviour to change before my mum will take her.

It's just so fustrating!!!

I wish my driving test booked for december was tomor and then I could pass it and take her myself.

K x

Thankyou for your speedy reply and your info on what it could be.

The thing is I can afford to take her to the vets myself as I work and have a couple hundred in my bank. Despite this my mother just doesn't want to take me and inisists because her behaviour hasnt changed there cannot be something wrong.

I have even spoken to a vet on the phone who said it could be something underlying and we should bring her in and told my mother this but still she says im being paranoid and that she doesnt want to spend £30 just to be told there isnt anythring wrong with Rosie.

She won't even take her even if i offer to pay, which i will happily do just to be safe than sorry and it turns out there isnt a problem.

She keeps saying we will monitor the situation, despite me having done that for a week now.

I don't want her to get worse if it is something underlying and then her beahviour to change before my mum will take her.

It's just so fustrating!!!

I wish my driving test booked for december was tomor and then I could pass it and take her myself.

K x

Must be very difficult :(

Could you get a bus/taxi at all?

Well done for acting on your bunnies behalf, and sorry your mum is being difficult. She really does need to see a vet.

It is fustrating and difficult.

I know my mum cares alot for both bunnies and would probably pay whatever it costs to make them better, it's just sometimes she thinks im over reacting and winding myself up about it and makes initially persuading her to take them to the vets difficult. She has got alot on atm with other family stuff so i can kind of understand why Rosie wouldnt be at the top of the list I just wish she would drop me off and let me sort it. :/

And sadly there is no bus service near my vets and this may sound silly but I cannot get into a taxi as I have a phobia about them :oops: Sounds silly I know, but i just end up having a panic attack. It's strange.

K x

I have a bun that is doing the same. He had blood test done on Tuesday and I am just waiting for the results. I know it is so difficult when you are young and have to rely on parents for transport but maybe assuring your mum that the earlier she sees a vet the hopefully the treatment might be easier and cheaper...

Well done for spotting it though and I really hope it turns out to be nothing and that she is just a thirsty bun :)

I know exactly what you mean about the parents thinking you are over reacting! Mine are exactly the same, and it is horrid when you know that something might be wrong.

Is there another family member or friend that could take you to the vets? Or do your vets do home visits, I know mine do. It might be worth ringing them again to explain the whole situation. Or could they ring and speak to your mum, it might make it clearer for her.

When I got my first bun benji, he suddenly didnt act himself, I knew something was wrong but my mum and dad didnt understand and yet again thought I was over reacting. I took him to the vets (luckily I passed my driving test before I got the rabbits) and it turned out he had bad spurs on his teeth which was making it painful for him to eat, which meant he needed a dental.

I know its hard, but go with your gut instinct, I know you will find some way of getting them to the vets, you seem to be a very caring rabbit owner.

Best of luck and please keep us posted :wave: x

Hi there. I had a female lop, Charlie, who started drinking tremendous amounts of water. I wasn't quite so savvy as I am now and didn't take her to the vet immediately, thinking it was nothing to be too concerned about. I came to her on Christmas Eve to find her with a head tilt. She was rushed to the vet straight away and this was my first experience of a bunny with EC. Sadly she didn't make it through and lasted until New Years Eve. :( it was my worst Christmas ever.
So I suppose what I'm saying is that you clearly love your bunnies and would do anything for them. Perhaps your mum could read this and it might persuade her to take your bun to the vets.
Good luck x

Back