• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baytril - PLEASE help!

Fayelou

Alpha Buck
Hello all

Really need your advice, I have recently posted about my snuffle bun Simba who is on baytril twice a day for 2 weeks.

I am really, really struggling giving it to her :( I know that NO buns like it but I have tried everything. In her cage, wrapped in a towel, with ribena in, with honey on the end (did this as she LOVES metacam)

It is just me giving it to her during week as my OH works away in the week so I have no one to help me and I get so scared of hurting her when she is all wriggly.

Any advice on dishing out baytril alone?

Much appreciated xxx

not always advisable but in dire straights the following two have been used in this household...

squeeze it into banana
soak it into a tiny piece of bread

:wave:

My favourite method for giving my buns meds they don't like is basil leaves. (Tesco basil leaves are a humungous size at the moment too, which is helping.) I measure out the medicine in the syringe and, depending on the size of the leaf, put 1-5 mls on each one, spread in lines or zigzags - not so much or in a big pool that will spill whilst the rabbit chews. You may want to fold or roll the leaf, but for mine it makes no difference.

For me this has meant I don't have to grab them - they just come up to me and eat the leaves.

have also read of people using sage leaves instead of basil

Bread!!! Schuette from on here told me that, and they just gobble it up!! Just let it soak into a little piece of wholemeal bread, and let it dry for a bit... :wave:

Thank you so much for the replies, will try both of those!

This morning I resorted to putting it on a carrot (which Simba licked) then realised what I had been up to and left the rest (I had to leave the carrot in her cage so not sure if she has eaten it or not until I get home tonight. I was worried that it would just dribble off anyway.

Banana sounds like a good option, although simba isn't actually a huge fan of it. I will try that. Just don't want to end up running out of baytril by pouring it into various things only to find out she won't eat!

not always advisable but in dire straights the following two have been used in this household...

squeeze it into banana
soak it into a tiny piece of bread

:wave:

Yup this is what we do, we normally start with banana and if that doesn't work go onto the bread. I mash the banana up and then mix it in rather than putting it on top as I've known bunnies eat the banana round it (Nutmeg :roll:)

Thank you so much.

I am going to Tesco after work for some bananas, definitely! Will let you all know how we go.

Simba snuffles seems to have improved which is good, no more of those HORRID noises...and last night I slept in room with her and she woke me up having a sneezing fit just twice (I am a VERY light sleeper), discharge seems to be clearing up as well. She was very bunged up for a time and sounded like she was despserately trying to blow the snot out and although we are far from out of the woods yet, I think we are getting there xxx

The lovely little lion has tried basil or mint as of yet, I'll see if I can see any. I will only be passing a tesco extra tonight, so hope they stock it!:love:

Any luck? I've mixed mine with Ella's Kitchen baby food lol, it's the only thing that will work for me sometimes :lol: But to be fair, if it's going to be a long term thing, then why not talk to your vet about showing you how to do injections? Mine showed me when I needed it, and now I know I can always ask for jabs, buns just sit still for them :)

Now she has eaten all the banana! and I syringed about 0.3 into her mouth. So she has had about 0.3ml too much!!!!

Will she be ok?

She probably didn't have her full dose this morning though as she was wriggly and some went in her mane (she is a lionhead)

:(

Yes it will be fine! I have had vets give a massive dosages of Baytril to some of the smallest bunnies. She will be fine - What is her weight and daily dosage? I've had a 1.2kg bunny on 2.5ml of baytril (she did have a horrendous infection) so I'm pretty sure she'll be fine. But you can always ring a vet (there is no cost to a call) and double check if you want professional re-assurance.

She is sprawled out relaxing on a towel in the living room at the moment, watching I'm a Celeb with me!

To be honest I am not sure how much she weighs and have no scales. She is a lion head so quite small but not TINY anymore. Her sneezing has calmed down now so hope it stays that way...she has 2 and a half weeks left on it, so hope she continues to improve now. She is a happy bun tonight despite it all!

I'm glad everything's working out so far! Boris did the exact same thing with the banana the first time, he just ate a tiny bit and I panicked and syringe fed him some only to leave the room, return later and find that he'd eaten the rest of the banana while I was away :roll: He was fine though. I've also had an extremely greedy Mrs Bunny steal his leftovers when I wasn't looking! I was like damn, he needed those you silly girl! You're not the one with a respiratory infection! :lol: But once you work out a routine things run more smoothly. I always give Boris his special bananas in the evening and early in the morning as that's when his appetite is best, which makes him more likely to eat everything without complaining :)

Thank you very much for the support and encouragement, did your bun also show a slight improvement in the first 3 days and then get a bit of a bad bout again? I hope there is a bit more baytril in the bottle then there should be as a bit got wasted for a couple of days as flew through the air etc!

She was a good girl this morning and ate her banana straight away! I did one bit with 0.3ml in the middle and another bit with 0.2ml and then she had her 0.1ml metacam which she always guzzles down from the syringe.

She was in the bathroom with me when I had a shower this morning as well, I hope that helped as she sounds very "bunged up"

Back