• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Should I Do?

Stumpy

Alpha Buck
I have read rather alot off post on here about Rabbits needing another Rabbit for company. Whisky is alone at the momnet and is just over 3 months. i am planning on getting her done in April when she will be 8 months and its warmer outside so not a big difference between indoors and out. i would like to get another Female rabbit but dont know if i could afford 2 and when would i need to put them together. also would the new Rabbit need to be done before being put with whisky once shes done? Confused and need Help x

Firstly, well done for asking :)

Once Whisky is spayed, yes, a friend would be best for her :)

Another girl may work fine, the usual mix is a boy/girl one as they tend to be more reliable as a rule. If you did decide to go for another girl, she would need to be spayed first and they'd need to be kept seperately until ~6-8 weeks post spay of both buns. Then the bonding can occur, which would need to be a small space, in 100% neutral territory. More bonding advice could be offered closer to the time :)

2 Rabbits often don't cost much, if any more than 1. The only additional costs are vaccinations and neuter/spay and vet bills, but you obviously can't think that they are going to cost your hundreds of pounds, as they may never need veterinary attention other than vaccinations and nail clipping for example.

Thanks GrahamL,

i will try and sort out my money and re look at this in April after she has been done. i wouldn't mind a little boy i would like a lop ear rabbit this time. would a little boy need doing before being put with whisky one she is done. i have been looking on the Rabbits in need on here and was thinking i might take one off them on. i will keep a look out and see what i can do, Thanks again

Thanks GrahamL,

i will try and sort out my money and re look at this in April after she has been done. i wouldn't mind a little boy i would like a lop ear rabbit this time. would a little boy need doing before being put with whisky one she is done. i have been looking on the Rabbits in need on here and was thinking i might take one off them on. i will keep a look out and see what i can do, Thanks again

Yup, but if the little boy is from a rescue such as one in Rabbits in Need they will most of the time already be neutered ('done') :) so that saves the stress and worry of that :D

Do you have insurance for Whisky? If not i would highly reccommend it for her & any future bunny you may get, especially uf you are concerned about costs, it means you shouldnt have to pay out hundreds perhaps thousands if bunny gets ill, you'd just have to pay the excess.

I have a rabbit with dental problems, before i new much about rabbits i decided i didnt need insurance, worst decision I made.

Back