• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you let your bunnies eat off the run/aviary floor?

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
Just wondering because I used to put the bunnies a big pile of hay in the run area (as well as in their litter tray and in the hay rack above it) and they used to sit and chomp for ages ...... and poop all round the big hay pile.

I've since bought them a little wooden hay manger for in the run because I didn't like the thought of them eating the hay off the floor (although they eat any hay I've dropped off the floor) but although I see them eating from the manger, there aren't any poops round it - great for cleaning up ...... but it makes me think that they're not grazing on it as much as they did because its more 'hassle' to get at!?!

So I'm thinking of maybe reverting back to the hay in a pile on the floor senario and I just wondered if other people do it - or scatter their pellets etc!?!?

:)

Yep I feed veg off the floor of my rabbs run. :wave:

ETA: I also used to scatter their pellets on the floor so they could 'search' for it.

Yes, I scatter pellets and put their readigrass on the floor. The eat hay mainly out of their litter trays which is probably worse than being on the floor!!!:lol:

I scatter pellets now and also the hay rack i have is usually taken off the hutch wall and then they sit in it and chomp away...:roll: and then wait for a fresh handful at midnight!:lol:

mine have their hay in a wicker basket in the run and just litter trays and cat boxes in the shed :) they seem to prefer to eat out of those metal hanging hay balls though :lol:

mine get pellets, readigrass, dried foods, etc all off the floor. It's more interesting to search around and they fight over bowls anyway.

Hay they get out of a rack just because they pee all over it otherwise.

Thanks, I generally hide their pellets all over the place, on chairs, in tunnels, in amongst the hay manger etc etc so they have to do a certain amount of 'foraging' (if you can call it that)!!

Thanks, I generally hide their pellets all over the place, on chairs, in tunnels, in amongst the hay manger etc etc so they have to do a certain amount of 'foraging' (if you can call it that)!!

Best way (in my opinion) :)

Mine have an underbed storage box in the run with straw in the bottom and lots of fresh hay in the top and then both climb in there and snuggle up to munch!
I bought three hay racks and they are a complete waste of time...if it'd on the hay rack it either gets ignored or they pill the hay rack down....

I scatter dandilion leaves, fresh grass and Apple sticks/leaves all round the run (incl the floor) :)

I try to avoid the floor if possible as it attracts slugs, but yes they often eat food off the floor

Back