• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any idea's what to mix medication with to avoid syringing?

Apache

Mama Doe
After 2 weeks of syringe feeding meds, and cleaning out the abscess hole, Alfred is getting worse, so I thought about mixing his meds with food so I'm at least reducing the stressful activity to once a day now his wound is improving (vet has said to clean it once a day now).

The worse one if the abx - the vet mixed it with a syrup to make it more palatable, but he even turned hi nose up (first time ever!) at grated carrots with this on, I then tried adding apple & pear baby food, and soaked pellets but he still won't touch it.

He'll eat his pellets with emiprid on, and carrots with metacam, I just want to find something that might take the smell / taste away of the abx - which is marbocyl.

Any ideas?

Could banana work? Ive not idea about those meds or how much it is in volume youre using, but Ive mixed metacam with banana...mashed it all up together and they licked the spoon clean...:)

Thanks - sorry should have said I tried that earlier too, he'd eat normal banana but not with the nasty meds in :-(

Im trying to think of what would smell strong and still be yummy for the bun:?

will post again if I think of anything else....

I paint it on basil leaves, squirted in tiny quantities from the syringe. I've read on here that sage also works well, but mine haven't been introduced to that yet.

You can just put quite a small amount on each leaf so they don't notice the taste, and so they don't spill it whilst chewing.

Last edited:
Thanks - sorry should have said I tried that earlier too, he'd eat normal banana but not with the nasty meds in :-(

Do you mix it in with the banana or just squirt it on top? I mash the banana and then mix the meds in or they eat round the meds.

Ive got the same problem with Buster. He's on Metronidazole but its in tablet form so ive been dissolving it in water then syringe feeding it to him but he absolutely hates it and i feel mean because of everything else he has to go through. I was thinking of dissolving it in apple juice so it tastes better but i have no idea if this would be ok to do. Im going to call my vet tomorrow and ask if its ok x

I used to dissolve metronidazole in water mixed with a drop of echinacea tincture, and Santa used to drink that straight off the spoon. Echinacea is quite strong flavoured and should be good at disguising the taste, so long as your bunny likes the flavour of echinacea itself, I guess! Might be worth discussing with your vet, as it's also an immune booster so it might be a suitable addition to the treatment regime.

Another alternative might be to see if the drug being used can be given in injectable form instead, it still involves handling, but it's far easier to giv Baylis by injection, for instance, rather than orally.

Good luck x

Thanks everyone for the replys, I'm still struggling though as he won't touch mint or basil.

I bought the Ella's strawberry and apple, and carrot apple & parsnip food, and he won't touch either of them with out the meds :-( (I finished off the strawberry & apple it was lovely!)

Yes- I did mash the banana and mix it it, and that was a no too :-( Although he loves banana normally.

I tried mashing a bit of farleys rusk and mixing it with that, I also put some chopped apple in - he picked the apple out!

Shelly - I'm sure you understand this too, regular vet trips and all the drugs, I just want to make it less traumatic, so I only need to pick him up once a day, instead of twice...

:-(

Back