• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What animals can rabbits be mixed with?

There's risks with mixing with all animals, supervised or not.

Mine mix with my cockatiel, but she tends to stay out the way. One of my old hamsters and Charlie could be trusted together (heavily supervised). Milly cannot be trusted with any small animal other than the bird.

Charlie likes small animals and won't attack, but he could easily accidently hurt one if I left him alone with them so he can only see them when I have a secure hold on them or have my hand on him so I could get hold of him quickly.

I guess there are a lot of animals they COULD be in close range with but I don't believe there are any rabbit non-rabbit pairings that don't carry a risk. Cat/Dog could turn and hurt the rabbit, Rabbits can kill guinea pigs and guinea pigs can pass a certain disease to them etc. Plus rabbits and non-rabbits can't communicate as well as a rabbit pairing

Tortoises!

(this is not experience or even based on anything really other than the fact that I like tortoises!) :lol:

well ours mix all day in summer with the tortoises on the lawn - though one has to be aware that tortoises can leave very messy poos.

also the bantams ( we used to have a tame patio bantam and occasionally have a mother bantam and chicks kept here - though most of our hans etc are on the vegetable garden) - though bantams and hens will peck out at them if they annoy them and could theoretically peck at their eyes etc though it has never happened with us.

my cat is petrified of rabbits . . shame really as they outnumber him 31 to 1:shock: and yes I do feel guilty but how was I to now he would be frightened of rabbits:oops:

I have been told they will mix fine with llamas/alpacas

- just to add that by 'mixing' i mean they share the same space for some times of the day - they also share this with the wild birds that pass through the garden, and the wild squirells - though I think the rabbits chase these off.

Well, Beilidh's had a (rather large) spider living in his little room with him for about 2-3 months now!! He watches it, follows it, has even lay down beside it, but hasn't killed it yet!! Incy-wincy (yes I names him, and I'll probably cry when he disappears.) hasn't tried to hurt Beilidh either. Oh, and they they both have free range in that room 24/7, totally unsupervised!

But, like any bunny/bunny pairing, a spider/bunny bonding has to be done with the correct bunny/spider. Else it could go horribly, horribly wrong.

Well, Beilidh's had a (rather large) spider living in his little room with him for about 2-3 months now!! He watches it, follows it, has even lay down beside it, but hasn't killed it yet!! Incy-wincy (yes I names him, and I'll probably cry when he disappears.) hasn't tried to hurt Beilidh either. Oh, and they they both have free range in that room 24/7, totally unsupervised!

But, like any bunny/bunny pairing, a spider/bunny bonding has to be done with the correct bunny/spider. Else it could go horribly, horribly wrong.

:lol::thumb:

yes I learnt this the hard way :( Sebastian ate the spider I was bonding him with :(

yes I learnt this the hard way :( Sebastian ate the spider I was bonding him with :(

:( Beano licked the one she was going to be bonded with to death then got its body caught in her whiskers, I was too scared to do anything.

:shock:

I sincerely hope Beilidh does not suddenly decide his little spidey friend is nommy! :shock: Its a lovely little friendship they have :love: ( I like to think of it as Incy-Wincy protecting Beilidh from the flies with his web, and Beilidh protecting Incey-Wincey from the big bad humans. :D:oops:)

:shock:

I sincerely hope Beilidh does not suddenly decide his little spidey friend is nommy! :shock: Its a lovely little friendship they have :love: ( I like to think of it as Incy-Wincy protecting Beilidh from the flies with his web, and Beilidh protecting Incey-Wincey from the big bad humans. :D:oops:)

Aw! :D

Surely an alpaca/llama could tread on a rabbit?

When I had my buns, I bonded bun with bun. When I FIRST got Floppy rabbit, I learned from 1 second, that he should not live with piggies, we swiftly separated them, and went out to the petshop to buy Floppy his own house. (then I read about it being a huge no-no.)

Those of you that have free range Bunnies in the garden, do you have protection from big birds? They have even been seen in built up areas looking for their dinner! Then there are also foxes, some HAVE hunted in the day if they are desperate.

My bunnies had a large run protecting them from predators, they were only allowed free range when I was out there with them. (before I became ill)

Just out of curiosity, does anyone actually have dogs/cats that they leave alone with their bunnies, that they use as a substitute for another bunny?

Back