• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My heart is breaking right now :'( Could we have some vibes please

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
Boris is breathing super fast again, can't believe this is happening right now, he had a 10 day course of antibiotics (vet suspected pneumonia although couldn't find anything obviously wrong with him) which he finished just 2 weeks ago and seemed to be doing a lot better, breathing fine and gaining weight, but now he's basically back to square one again, I'm so upset and worried :cry: And we don't have any emergancy vets here except people to call for advice over the phone, they can't really do anything, so i'm basically just praying that he'll make it till morning so he can maybe see a vet tomorrow if he hasn't improved :cry: Why is this happening, I was so sure he was healthy again :cry: can't stop crying

Last edited:
hope he is ok...glad he is eating and pooping - thats good...now I may be waaay off here - so please double check...but would rescue remedy help calm him down and help his breathing? OR would giving this if he is on other meds not help his breathing at all?

hugs xxx

hope he is ok...glad he is eating and pooping - thats good...now I may be waaay off here - so please double check...but would rescue remedy help calm him down and help his breathing? OR would giving this if he is on other meds not help his breathing at all?

hugs xxx

I don't even know what that is, I'm sorry :( I have no idea why this is happening now, he's been fine for 2 weeks, I thought he was ok :(
ETA: Ok I've Googled it, I understand what it is now, I wonder if I could get some of that somewhere...
Gonna check on him in a minute...I know it sounds horrible but I'm so scared I'll find him dead or something :oops:

Thanks for the vibes btw <3

Last edited:
I don't even know what that is, I'm sorry :( I have no idea why this is happening now, he's been fine for 2 weeks, I thought he was ok :(
ETA: Ok I've Googled it, I understand what it is now, I wonder if I could get some of that somewhere...
Gonna check on him in a minute...I know it sounds horrible but I'm so scared I'll find him dead or something :oops:

Thanks for the vibes btw <3

I found this thread....its Flower remedy and is used to calm...Ive used it and it great...and i know osme people use it for their buns who get stressed with reavelling etc...now I dont know if your bun is on other meds and if he is tressed or just breathing heavily...so it may not be what you need..if he is calm already but just battling breathe...try a steamy room to ease his chest?
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-Opinions-experiences&highlight=rescue+remedy

He's not on any other meds atm, and I seriously don't know if he's stressed out or not, but he's acting quite normally so I don't think that's the problem...he's been hormonal lately though, could it be related to that? Also moulting quite a lot..I'm gonna check that out anyway though, seems like a good thing to have in case of emergency (I could probably use some too at times, not just the buns :oops:)

He's breathing normally through his nose and everything, it's just the rate that has gone up remarkably. No discharge from what I've seen. It's all very weird :?

I've just checked on him though and he seems to be in a good mood in spite of everything, but he could be pretending, who knows :(

It's horrible to not have an emergency vet :( There's one you can call but only for advice over the phone. Which helps a lot...not :roll: My local vets are so sh*t it's ridiculous, they only really know how to treat dogs and cats, but since people generally don't take smaller animals to the vet their knowledge of these animals are very limited :( I dread having to take my animals there and try to avoid it if I can, which sounds so bad I know, but they are often absolutely clueless. I was actually told to wait for Boris to pass away once when he had a serious tummy upset..since he hadn't eaten for hours the dude I spoke to on the phone thought it best not to bother, he'd obviously already given up as he wasn't eating :? What's up with that? Would he have said that to a dog owner? No. But because it's a rabbit it's ok? Made me so furious.

I'm monitoring him at the moment to see if there's any improvement but not seeing any as of yet :( Gonna try to put him in a steamy room (bathroom) later to see if that helps. I'm also going to brush him since I don't want him inhaling any fur. But obviously if he doesn't improve very very soon I'll simply need to take him back to the vets :( I can't stand seeing him like this and I'm so scared it'll get worse :(

I think the best thing you can do apart from take to the vets is to make sure he is in a totally stress free atmosphere. Is he an indoor bun? Put him in a quiet room, no loud noises, don't handle him too much as stress may make it worse. Keep him warm.

I think he will be fine from what you have said but I am not a vet xxx

It's horrible to not have an emergency vet :( There's one you can call but only for advice over the phone. Which helps a lot...not :roll: My local vets are so sh*t it's ridiculous, they only really know how to treat dogs and cats, but since people generally don't take smaller animals to the vet their knowledge of these animals are very limited :( I dread having to take my animals there and try to avoid it if I can, which sounds so bad I know, but they are often absolutely clueless. I was actually told to wait for Boris to pass away once when he had a serious tummy upset..since he hadn't eaten for hours the dude I spoke to on the phone thought it best not to bother, he'd obviously already given up as he wasn't eating :? What's up with that? Would he have said that to a dog owner? No. But because it's a rabbit it's ok? Made me so furious.

I'm monitoring him at the moment to see if there's any improvement but not seeing any as of yet :( Gonna try to put him in a steamy room (bathroom) later to see if that helps. I'm also going to brush him since I don't want him inhaling any fur. But obviously if he doesn't improve very very soon I'll simply need to take him back to the vets :( I can't stand seeing him like this and I'm so scared it'll get worse :(

I'm so sorry to hear they're no help.

So many things are better in Scandinavian countries than in the UK IMO, but evidently veterinary medicine isn't as good.

Based on what I've read in other threads, I wondered whether it would be possible or worthwhile for you to email a rabbit expert in the UK for advice on treating him. I don't know if these people do in practice take email enquiries for this sort of thing (or if they get too many to deal with), but given that academics usually use email quite a bit, perhaps one of the university-based ones, such as Brigitte Lord at Edinburgh or Richard Saunders at Bristol.

Back