• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this okay! (dog crate)

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
Are you going to have a playpen attached? Or free-range? Mine had a three foot (couldn't go much bigger or I couldn't get round the bed) and we found it was perfectly adequate for a base and took their litter tray perfectly and with an extra shelf gave them a nice bed.

Are you going to have a playpen attached? Or free-range? Mine had a three foot (couldn't go much bigger or I couldn't get round the bed) and we found it was perfectly adequate for a base and took their litter tray perfectly and with an extra shelf gave them a nice bed.

oo yh forgot to add that ha, yes they will have my bedroom to roam around during the day x

oo yh forgot to add that ha, yes they will have my bedroom to roam around during the day x

And shut in at night? If so, I'd go for as big as you can get in, with a playpen ideally. :)

Last edited:
That's only 3 and a half feet, I wouldn't lock a pair up in that, even for just overnight

I no it's not ideal but thats the biggest I can go! and over night would be 3am-7am with my crazy sleeping patterns!

I may be able to attach a small pen, but it would be soo small wouldnt really be any point x

It would be really good as a base, but I think its too small to have them locked up in, even just for a few hours. Could you attach a playpen to the crate? And why is it safe during the day but not at night, could you bunnyproof it a bit more so its safe at night too?

Ignore the mess, this is the space I have just to the left of the pic is the end of my bed and the way to my door, and then as you can see my desk is on the right so, not really anywhere to put a pen, I will soon have a chair infront of the desk to hmmmm

299793_2677612938186_1192116864_3179233_1792368279_n.jpg

Last edited:
It would be really good as a base, but I think its too small to have them locked up in, even just for a few hours. Could you attach a playpen to the crate? And why is it safe during the day but not at night, could you bunnyproof it a bit more so its safe at night too?

they jump on the bed! and p*** everywhere!:evil::roll: and jump on the desk etc, they have to be supervised or they trash the joint!

Okay, so what about bunny proofing? Or could you move the desk to where the crate is then there'd be room for a bigger crate? I don't really know what to suggest, sorry!

ETA- Ignore, just saw your last post!

Last edited:
Could you not bunny proof it so that you are comfortable having them out at night too? Honestly they can do as much damage during the day as at night!! I've known them to be nibbling on something they shouldn't while I've been in the room with them.

Okay, so what about bunny proofing? Or could you move the desk to where the crate is then there'd be room for a bigger crate? I don't really know what to suggest, sorry!

Ive tried that, theirs not enough room to fit a chair in, and the desk cnt be moved along as it meets the end of my bed and then i cnt get out:?

they jump on the bed! and p*** everywhere!:evil::roll: and jump on the desk etc, they have to be supervised or they trash the joint!

If you move things away from the desk then they probably won't jump up. I'm sure my lionheads could jump on my desk if they really wanted to but as it's not a structure with a full front on it they don't realise it's there unless something ie. a chair, is near it for them to get a bit higher.

As for the bed you can do things to help that. I know, I've done it ;)

If you're gonna get that then you will, but I don't think anyone will really say 3.5ft is enough. My rabbits aren't large and Charlie is 2ft when laid out, so I don't think there's enough room for even a few hours in that size.

Plus, 3-7am is around dawn time when rabbits are most active

Could you not bunny proof it so that you are comfortable having them out at night too? Honestly they can do as much damage during the day as at night!! I've known them to be nibbling on something they shouldn't while I've been in the room with them.

short of a couple of c&c squares to block afew areas which i'll be doing anyway i can't really do any more, im in my room most of the day so Im constantly watching them well just Grayson atm but still need alot of supervision etc

They'll probably be more active between 3-7am and 3.5ft really isnt enough room to exercise. They may be more noisy and destructive because they're cramped up.

As Elena said, there are ways to train them not to jump on beds and wee etc.

ahh I duno what to do now! I thought just for once things could be simple! I will just have to go with what I can, and get the biggest size I can

tho if someone can find my a 48" that NO more that 28" wide i'll happily buy it :)

They'll probably be more active between 3-7am and 3.5ft really isnt enough room to exercise. They may be more noisy and destructive because they're cramped up.

As Elena said, there are ways to train them not to jump on beds and wee etc.

I had almost a year of trying to keep Matilda off my bed I cannot hack anymore rabbit pee! Ive tried so hard but its not possible! and I havent got the strength to go though it again!!

ahh I duno what to do now! I thought just for once things could be simple! I will just have to go with what I can, and get the biggest size I can

tho if someone can find my a 48" that NO more that 28" wide i'll happily buy it :)

What about NIC panels?

I had almost a year of trying to keep Matilda off my bed I cannot hack anymore rabbit pee! Ive tried so hard but its not possible! and I havent got the strength to go though it again!!

Forgive my memory but is Matilda spayed?

Back