• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grass over the winter months?

lilgems91

Mama Doe
Hey everyone, just wondering how you cope over the winters months when the grass is all dead and soggy.

Ive got 2 buns, benjamin and cupcake. cupcake is a big hay eater, but benji isnt keen on hay and relies mainly on grass. They are indoors for the winter now, and as you know the grass is dying outside and has gone all soggy with the wormholes coming up.

I have tried growing them my own grass, but even inside it dies very quickly.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice, and what you all do during the winter?

Im worried that his teeth are going to grow over the winter and that he will need another dental. He has a vets appointment thursday morning to check his teeth, fingers crossed they arent overgrown :(

Have you tried different types of hay? My Pipkin doesn't really eat hay but he'll have a nibble on green oat hay or alfalfa.
I give mine a few extra pellets in winter as well to make up for the lack of grass (obviously won't help the teeth though).

Can you find some apple wood for their teeth? If you could get someone to let you trim their apple tree? or even ring a tree surgeon and ask if they are doping and apple tree any time? local allotments?

I have deliberatly left my grass quite long at the ned of the summer so the worm castes dont make such a mess and I can still pull plenty of grass.

hope you find asnd answer soon.xx

Good Girl do a box of "kitty grass" that you start off in a warm and dark place (with a bit of water). I was told that it is wheatgrass.

(good girl kitty grass: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=220880330863&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=69513484919)

There are usually more than ample seeds in the packet for three lots of growth, so I take out all the seeds that are not needed for first batch and germinate the remainder (in the warm dark place - at my old house I used the airing cupboard on a shelf, because I haven't got that here, I cover it and put it NEAR (not on, or touching) the boiler in the kitchen, make sure you cover it for the germination process)

Once it's established you put it on a windowsill to carry on growing. Or somewhere else INDOORS that catches some sun, out of all pets' reach (dogs and cats often eat grass to make them sick, if they have a gut problem such as hairball in cats, or just a mild upset tum in both - so you will need to keep it out of their reach, if you have them, cats will also eat grass to help their gut (they only vomit if there is a hairball waiting to come out))

Once at desired length, you can either uproot it so buns can eat the root too (where a lot of the goodness is) or just trim all the green.

Once you have either trimmed all the green away, or uprooted whole piece, you will need to prepare the tray for the next growth. (clearing away last growth)

Simply spread the seeds over the tray, add water as before, and put back in warm dark place to germinate again.

If your bun is eating quicker then it grows, simply buy more trays to have a cycle going.

Your cheaper alternative is to buy seed trays and a bag of ORGANIC compost (got to be organic to make the grass bunny safe, no good if it's got chemicals or pesticides etc in it) from your local garden centre, purchase wheat grass online and do it yourself (to the same instructions as the "kitty grass")

You can also purchase heated propogators (sp) if you HAVE to do it outside, in your greenhouse or shed, if they are not insulated or heated.

Wheatgrass can be grown by "idiots" - which is why mine was so successful lol ;-) so you will succeed with little stress, or worries, or intervention.

(wheatgrass: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=320723853550&index=4&nav=SEARCH&nid=78561248114 )

This one is just the first cheap one I found, the premium grass organic is silly prices, but you are paying for o rganic PREMIUM grass seed (?)

Good luck! :)

Have you tried different types of hay? My Pipkin doesn't really eat hay but he'll have a nibble on green oat hay or alfalfa.
I give mine a few extra pellets in winter as well to make up for the lack of grass (obviously won't help the teeth though).

Oh this spoilt little boy has tried quite literally every kind of hay you can get :( Strangely he just doesnt like the taste. But he cant get enough grass!

Back