• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Typical behaviour after neutering please

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
Hi :wave:

My 2 gorgeous girls are off to the vet tomorrow for neutering as their arguing is getting worse, sadly, so to keep the bond they still have, they're getting 'done' tomorrow. Eek!

I've not been through this before and so I'd like your experiences of behaviour afterwards so that I don't panic. I'm assuming that until they are eating, pooing and weeing at the vet's (I've done them a "doggy bag" to take of their fave foods), the vet won't send them home. Is that right? I don't intend to bed them down on straw, but will be using a blanket & snugglesafe. They'll be brought into the utility room in a decent size pet cage "suitable for recouperating pets" with the heating off, as they usually live in their hutch in the shed. They have a litter tray but I won't be putting in the usual woodshavings, I'll just leave the newspaper in there and perhaps a teeny weeny bit of straw maybe? Don't want urine burnt hocks to boot! The cage will be part covered with a blanket so they can sort of hide and the children will be warned to be quiet around them for a couple of days, then be very very gentle (the kids are 11 and 8 so are quite aware of what's going on). Any other tips on what I can do and as requested, what sort of behaviour might I see please?

Thanks in advance :)

I'd put newspaper and lots of hay in. :) The hay will act as a barrier between wet newspaper and bunny footsies. I'd also ask about post op pain relief.

Neither of my girls really had any trouble bouncing back, they were quiet for a couple of days and I confined them to a smaller area for a while but after that they were fine. As always keep an eye on input and output. You may have to tempt them with a few things to get them eating.

Hiya. All of mine came back home from the vet before they were eating, the vet felt they would be better off in their familiar environment with me.

My doe Tilly was very quiet and obviously in alot of pain afterwards. I had blankets on the radiator and wrapped them around her alternately to keep her cosy. I brought her water to her (incase she was too tired to get to it) and tempted her with all of her favourite foods. She didnt eat or poo until the early hours of the next day, so dont panic too much if they dont eat. She just wanted to sleep alot so I kept her very quiet. Mimi and Charlotte were spayed by the rescue, but I was told that both of them needed syringe feeding afterwards. My boys both bounced back within hours, its definatly harder on the girls.

Make sure you leave the vets with some painkillers for them. Loads of vibes xxxxx :wave:

Back