• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Storing a Bale Inside

nessar

Warren Veteran
What can I use to store a bale of hay indoors?

Needs to be something fairly cheap and easy to transport, as in July I'm going to have to pack everything I own into a saloon car to move, so ideally something that can be packed up somehow.

Do you know if they come apart and flatpack?

Also, do you know roughly the dimensions of a standard bale?

Mine came flat packed and could probably flatpack again, not the easiest thing in the world to put up though. Or maybe we didn't fully understand the instructions :oops:

I'll find you a link to the box I have, a bale fits inside it just right.

Edit: LINKY

Can't get much more compact than a single duvet cover.

A hay bale is about 4' long by approx 18" square - they do vary a bit but only by a couple of inches usually.

yeah - Id get a duvet or one of those boxes if you want something sturdy though it may be hard to make into a flat pack again..otherwise get some big sturdy carboard boxes and split the bale - then when you move the boxes can either go with you or be re-cycled.:p

Mine came flat packed and could probably flatpack again, not the easiest thing in the world to put up though. Or maybe we didn't fully understand the instructions :oops:

I'll find you a link to the box I have, a bale fits inside it just right.

Edit: LINKY

Ohh, not sure if this is the same model in a different colour but I think it is, although the reviews arent great, but then tbh I dont need it to be waterproof...
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.211-8571.aspx

is it fairly sturdy, as in can I put stuff on top?

Last edited:
I did think a duvet cover but I would have to put it out of the rabbits reach, same with cardboard. My flatmate wont be impressed if I keep a bale in our tiny livingroom so it will have to be in the same room as the buns I think....

I've never tried it outside, it's always been stored in our garage :)

We got it because when we had hay in a duvet cover something ate through the duvet cover so we suspect it attracted mice. In theory though you shouldn't have that problem so much indoors.

You can put some stuff on top but you'd have to move it every time you wanted to get to the bale as the lid opens upwards. :)

That got confusing! :lol:

For some reason I didnt think about having to open it with stuff on top :lol: I think I need more sleep!

I think I'll definately get that then if its the right size for a bale, seems cheap enough.

Back