• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a Giant & Mini Lop

Is this a possible combination...? The girl would be the giant x

Size doesn't come into this.

Ideally both bunnies should have been neutered way beforehand and then it is whether or not the bunnies actually like each other.

I've known some odd pairings in size, but the choice of their partner has always been theirs. Not what we choose for them.

We wouldn't let someone choose our friends for us would we?

If you are adopting from a rescue, the chances are that they can do the bonding for you. But as said before doesn't mean the bunny that you want........the bunnies choose for themselves.

Best of luck.:thumb:

I agree with the above post in that size isn't really an issue. It's more down to the personalities of the rabbits.

However, if there's a specific rabbit that you want (for instance, you have your heart set on a giant) there's nothing wrong with trying to bond with a rabbit of your choosing and saying if it doesn't work out you'll wait for another rabbit you like to come along. Plenty of people have decided what rabbit they want and, after proper bonding (and a little perseverance at times), the rabbits usually get along just fine.

I have Barney, who is 3.4kg but should be a bit heavier (underweight) so he is a large, but not giant bunny. I have him bonded to Annabelle who is a lionhead, and around 1.7 at a healthy weight, so half his weight! I agree it is about personalities as to whether they get on, and my two do get along fine. I dont think Barney realises he is bigger than her, he is always trying to follow her into spaces or jumping on things that he is just too big for.

But I have also noticed that Barney is unintentionally rough with her, as when he nudges her its like he is shoving her, where she is so small. He is rather bolshy though and she is so gentle and dainty. They get along fine, but be aware that, if the giant becomes a bit of a bully, it may be worse than a smaller bun being a bully.

I have Barney, who is 3.4kg but should be a bit heavier (underweight) so he is a large, but not giant bunny. I have him bonded to Annabelle who is a lionhead, and around 1.7 at a healthy weight, so half his weight! I agree it is about personalities as to whether they get on, and my two do get along fine. I dont think Barney realises he is bigger than her, he is always trying to follow her into spaces or jumping on things that he is just too big for.

But I have also noticed that Barney is unintentionally rough with her, as when he nudges her its like he is shoving her, where she is so small. He is rather bolshy though and she is so gentle and dainty. They get along fine, but be aware that, if the giant becomes a bit of a bully, it may be worse than a smaller bun being a bully.

Thanks Nessar for this...i'm really excited, I'm meeting a french lop called Lilly tomorrow afternoon in Chelsea...and if thats ok she will be bonded with Wils by a lovely lady through Arc....if not I'm seeing two lovely buns on saturday in essex....but rather far away...!

Just over two weeks ago I bonded my male conti Bentley (6.5kg) with my trio of girls who are around 3kg each. It was such an easy bond, they were all snuggled up together after an hour. :love:

I was concerned about the size difference too, but what it really boils down to is the personalities involved.

Hope all goes well tomorrow. :wave:

I have a french lop (female) bonded with a mini lop (Male). They get on great and are truely bonded very much:love:. She is the dominant one and lets me know this every time I go to the cage by humping the mini lop letting me know that he belongs to her. He is so docile he has no objections. They chose each other from the moment they met and it has been a strong bond ever since:love:. They are the couple in the avatar.

I have a french lop (female) bonded with a mini lop (Male). They get on great and are truely bonded very much:love:. She is the dominant one and lets me know this every time I go to the cage by humping the mini lop letting me know that he belongs to her. He is so docile he has no objections. They chose each other from the moment they met and it has been a strong bond ever since:love:. They are the couple in the avatar.

Bunny Manor, you have made me laugh! When is the woman not the boss? Wilson is pretty docile too and loves to groom! He's sooo happy today, he's just had a dental (neglect from his previous owners) and he just can't stop rolling over... Can't wait to meet Lilly! Wish I knew how to add a pic Really want to show you guys.

If it doesn't work I'm meeting Lucy@little Angels...Buns, Hattie & Petal:)

Back