• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've just done something incredibly stupid/thoughtless.

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
As the title said.

I have literally just told my 8 year old daughter - who loves the bunnies to bits - that they're in for their spays on Wednesday morning. Just as she's going to bed. Now she's lying there, fretting.

How stupid was that? Even my husband's just said "what on earth did you say anything for?"

I could physically kick myself. In fact ... there. Kicked.

I'm such a pratt. *sighs*

I should've waited until Wednesday morning on the way to school, then at least she's got school to distract her.

Go on, give me both barrels - I deserve it :?

Why not take it as an opportunity to explain what a spay is and why they have it done

Thank you. I did - even explained that it should stop them fighting (which she has seen) but she still wasn't happy. She said "I don't want them to have it" but I replied "but if they don't the fights will get worse and then they'll really really hurt each other and draw blood and we don't want that do we" to which of course she said no. She's still a bit upset though (for want of a better word). *sighs again*

Why not take it as an opportunity to explain what a spay is and why they have it done

Totally agree, I explained it all to my 7yr old a couple of weeks ago. Just said it was so that when we got our boy bunny and he did 'bunny cuddles' she couldnt have babies. Then I did the same last week when we took our cat to be pts, I explained that she was poorly and I didnt know what the vet would say but i would take the vets advice. When I picked him up from school I took a lolly with me which sidetracked him long enough till we got home.

Thank you too madcatwoman.

She seems to have settled in bed now, though still awake but she's not been in bed long anyway. She's not tossing and turning or withholding tears so maybe she's taken it better than I thought.

Talk about bad timing though! :roll:

Did you explain to her that its a routine operation, that a rabbit savvy vet has done hundreds, and that its very low risk? You could also explain the risks of uterine cancer (85%) if they dont have it done. It is a preventative measure, maybe you could liken it to having tonsils out?

She's probably in bed now, but maybe something to talk about tomorrow to put her at ease.

edit: also, when the day comes around, you could help her feel at ease by involving her in the rabbits recovery, so warming up the snugglesafe, chopping up their favourite foods etc.

Did you explain to her that its a routine operation, that a rabbit savvy vet has done hundreds, and that its very low risk? You could also explain the risks of uterine cancer (85%) if they dont have it done. It is a preventative measure, maybe you could liken it to having tonsils out?

She's probably in bed now, but maybe something to talk about tomorrow to put her at ease.

edit: also, when the day comes around, you could help her feel at ease by involving her in the rabbits recovery, so warming up the snugglesafe, chopping up their favourite foods etc.

^^ agree! Involve her for sure...she will be so pleased and proud to have an important role in caring for the bunny after the op.
Im sure she will be fine...we all say things without thinking sometimes...bless oyu...hope she goes to sleep soon.:p

Once you have explained it to her, try and make it positive as in...'once this has been done hopefully they will both get on and have a nice life together, which is better than being seperated from each other forever'. I am really matter of fact with my boys, they have seen a lot of rescue animals come through the house and some have been in appalling states. They are both very practical about health matters now and very sensible with it. Its hard if its the first time going in for an op, I am always worried until I hear they have come round.

Sometimes honesty is the best policy, I tell my boys which animal is going in for what as soon as I book it. Dont feel bad, she will have time to get used to it:wave:

I'd have done similar. You don't need to let it be a big deal, just say it's something all rabbits should have done and that they'll be a bit quiet for a while, but when they're better they'll be a hundred times happier :)

:wave:
Thanks everyone :) I don't feel quite so bad now! She's asleep now.

What a good idea about letting her help once they're back home :) I will certainly do that, thanks :thumb:

Pound to a penny that come Wednesday morning it'll be me that's bricking it and choking back tears when I leave them at the vet :oops: :roll: :lol:

:wave:
Thanks everyone :) I don't feel quite so bad now! She's asleep now.

What a good idea about letting her help once they're back home :) I will certainly do that, thanks :thumb:

Pound to a penny that come Wednesday morning it'll be me that's bricking it and choking back tears when I leave them at the vet :oops: :roll: :lol:

Just dont let her see/know you are:D She will be fine, the buns will be fine...nad when its all over so will you:lol::lol: Hope all goes well on Wednesday for you all xx

Back