• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ANOTHER Blue episode.....:(

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
Last week AND now last night.Blue mouth and nose.....
What does a rabbit look like when they are mouth breathing???? Im not sure if Lily was doing this.
Its not uncommom for her to put her head in the air and show her teeth....Is that mouth breathing????

Shes on baytril and metacam since last week....

Last week AND now last night.
What does a rabbit look like when they are mouth breathing???? Im not sure if Lily was doing this.
Its not uncommom for her to put her head in the air and show her teeth....Is that mouth breathing????

Shes on baytril and metacam since last week....

It sounds like it. Sometimes you can hear a sort of clicky sound as they do it

This was Huckle Bunny Finn mouth breathing :cry:

rabbits426.jpg

No clicky noises from what we have experienced but she does tend to stick her head up a lot....I dont know if its her neck/back causing gyp??
I dont want to BELIEVE that what shes doing is mouth breathing...Ian said that its really bad if she mouth breathes....

It sounds like it. Sometimes you can hear a sort of clicky sound as they do it

Huckle Bunny Finn is just beautiful :love: as is his friend :love: I take it he's no longer with us? :(

I agree with Jane, it does sound like it. The clicky thing kind of sounds like the little catch you get in your throat you get when you're bunged up with the cold and try to breathe in. It can also make a chug-chug noise in the later stages, Oidhche sounded like a train towards the end, quite literally. I recorded it to play to the vet in case he didn't believe me so will see if I can get it up on here. Does Lily have a heart problem?

This is a wee video of Oidhche-Velvet mouth breathing. She had an enlarged heart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uIP_Zff0Us

Huckle Bunny Finn is just beautiful :love: as is his friend :love: I take it he's no longer with us? :(

I agree with Jane, it does sound like it. The clicky thing kind of sounds like the little catch you get in your throat you get when you're bunged up with the cold and try to breathe in. It can also make a chug-chug noise in the later stages, Oidhche sounded like a train towards the end, quite literally. I recorded it to play to the vet in case he didn't believe me so will see if I can get it up on here. Does Lily have a heart problem?

This is a wee video of Oidhche-Velvet mouth breathing. She had an enlarged heart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uIP_Zff0Us

That video made me cry :cry:

What a very brave Bunny she was :love:

Finn had a Thymoma (tumour in his chest) and died during having diagnostics :cry:

His friend was Lara. We lost her about a year ago at the age of 10

I hope that Lily can remain comfortable. She sounds as though she is a little fighter.

Thats exactly what Lily does :cry::cry:
Ian hasnt mentioned a dicky heart.Its lung as far as we know.:cry:
See her x rays....her lung tissue goes up into the hump on her back...
xrays.png

Oh God.What now????

Just wanted to add a MASSIVE hug for you and even bigger vibes to your poor bun.

Being blue must mean she is really struggling..

I am so sorry xxx

xrays.png

Oh God.What now????

I guess it will be a case of one day at a time. Lily sadly has a terminal condition and you and your Vet will make sure that everything possible is done to insure that she remains comfortable. You and your Vet will know when it is time to let her go. All Lily cares about is the here and now. She has no worry or fear of what the next day holds. Try to remember that xx

I guess it will be a case of one day at a time. Lily sadly has a terminal condition and you and your Vet will make sure that everything possible is done to insure that she remains comfortable. You and your Vet will know when it is time to let her go. All Lily cares about is the here and now. She has no worry or fear of what the next day holds. Try to remember that xx

These same words helped me immensely when it was Starfish xx.

What am I going to do about my baby girl?? I really feel like Im losing her...Its so hard to think positive thoughts about how far Ive got her....Shes in my bedroom...I watch her every night and I pray shes going to be ok..that Ive got her for longer...I cant BEAR to think Im losing her.Shes ok cuddled up with her brother but when she gets cross or stressed,she shows her teeth and lifts her head up...mouth breathing so i understand.Yet shes fine other times.Im not splitting her up from her brother....the stress will kill her.

*hugs*

Keep them together. Give them lots of cuddles and treats. She's got painkillers and antibiotics. Why not speak to your vet tomorrow to see if there is anything else you can do at home.

*hugs*

Keep them together. Give them lots of cuddles and treats. She's got painkillers and antibiotics. Why not speak to your vet tomorrow to see if there is anything else you can do at home.

There is nothing.Its her lung capacity.
:cry:

I meant to keep her comfortable. :(
Just remember you are doing all you can. She's cuddled up with her brother and she's on painkillers so I'm sure she's happy.

If only you could all meet her.
She came to me covered in ringworm.almost drowned in a nasty chemical for cattle (which kills Ringworm), snotty and tiny aged 9 months.

She thrived,for 2 years,and now shes fading away in front of me.I cant bear it.

She used to dance round her bowl,still does sometimes,comes when called, digs at my duvet,punces at me when i touch her chest,(the deep fluffy fur), shes just amazing......and I love her with all my heart.

That video made me cry :cry:

What a very brave Bunny she was :love:

Finn had a Thymoma (tumour in his chest) and died during having diagnostics :cry:

His friend was Lara. We lost her about a year ago at the age of 10

I hope that Lily can remain comfortable. She sounds as though she is a little fighter.

Ahh, I remember Lara. She was the first bunny I fell for on this forum! It was something about her being the Cadbury Bunny - the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen. I always thought she was more yellowy though for some reason. I'm sorry you lost them both :( xx

She is my brave wee girl. I typed was...but she still is. Just not where I can see her any more. I hope your Lily has a long while with us Yvette.

xrays.png

h God.What now????

The blue lips and tounge were also something we got when Oidhche was having a bad day. The breathing problems were as a result of the heart giving up and causing back-up pressure on the lungs, which did something with regards to laying extra fluid there...I'll find it for you tomorrow as right now I'm too stupid to think about it. So if fluid on the lungs is what was causing the problems in her case, then perhaps it's something similar in Lily's, just not from the same cause. Does that make sense?

I don't know if it will help if it is a different root cause but Oidhche's thread is here if you want to have a read through. Once she was on meds we saw a massive difference (although they did take a while to kick in) and we had two heart meds and a diuretic which removes the fluid slowing down the breathing. The best advice I can give you (other than to see your vet) is to spoil her absolutely rotten and don't think about tomorrow. I was so worried about getting it wrong but they do let you know when they've had enough. Until then, keep throwing everything you have at it. :)

Someone said to me that 'mourning them before they die is a waste of emotion'. So very, very true. There are a lot of things which members have said to me which just ring right. You'll know what's best for your girl.

Ahh, I remember Lara. She was the first bunny I fell for on this forum! It was something about her being the Cadbury Bunny - the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen. I always thought she was more yellowy though for some reason. I'm sorry you lost them both :( xx

She is my brave wee girl. I typed was...but she still is. Just not where I can see her any more. I hope your Lily has a long while with us Yvette.

The blue lips and tounge were also something we got when Oidhche was having a bad day. The breathing problems were as a result of the heart giving up and causing back-up pressure on the lungs, which did something with regards to laying extra fluid there...I'll find it for you tomorrow as right now I'm too stupid to think about it. So if fluid on the lungs is what was causing the problems in her case, then perhaps it's something similar in Lily's, just not from the same cause. Does that make sense?

I don't know if it will help if it is a different root cause but Oidhche's thread is here if you want to have a read through. Once she was on meds we saw a massive difference (although they did take a while to kick in) and we had two heart meds and a diuretic which removes the fluid slowing down the breathing. The best advice I can give you (other than to see your vet) is to spoil her absolutely rotten and don't think about tomorrow. I was so worried about getting it wrong but they do let you know when they've had enough. Until then, keep throwing everything you have at it. :)

Someone said to me that 'mourning them before they die is a waste of emotion'. So very, very true. There are a lot of things which members have said to me which just ring right. You'll know what's best for your girl.

This is what Im doing,isnt it???:shock:

I have to remember this.and what Coineach said too.Mourning them before they die is a waste of emotion.

Lily will pick it up too.:(

What am I going to do about my baby girl?? I really feel like Im losing her...Its so hard to think positive thoughts about how far Ive got her....Shes in my bedroom...I watch her every night and I pray shes going to be ok..that Ive got her for longer...I cant BEAR to think Im losing her.Shes ok cuddled up with her brother but when she gets cross or stressed,she shows her teeth and lifts her head up...mouth breathing so i understand.Yet shes fine other times.Im not splitting her up from her brother....the stress will kill her.

You still have her. Try and remember that, although I know it's hard. I found that chamomile tea helped calm Oidhche in the early stages, it is a natural sedative. Later on sitting in a cool room or by the open door and supporting her chest helped her breathing ease so that may be something you can try with Lily. As it is a different problem I don't know though :( but I'm sure your vet would.

Leave them together, they'll comfort each other...basically do anything that makes her happy. When we knew Oidhche wasn't going to have long we gave her all kinds of rubbish, let her eat bread, all her favourite noms, just make the last wee while the best you possibly can and that's what she'll remember. On her last night with us Oidhche was trying to pinch Haribo and chewing the frame of the wooden cupboard :roll: so I'm sure she was happy as that was what she loved to do when she was well. Just try and forget about her illness as much as you possibly can. And take lots of photos and videos - best thing I did was keep loads of memos of her mischief.:love:

:thumb: The bolded bit is especially important. They don't know what's happening to them so don't have the same fear as we do. You have a good vet who will take care of your little girl and will keep her comfortable and happy until you say goodbye. xx

Back