• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My neighbours poor piggy :( Update P12

megansmummy

Mama Doe
My neighbour has a cage (probably not quite 2ft long or maybe 2ft at a push) in a bike shed in the garden...she had two piggies in there...and I can see the shed from my sons window (it overlooks our garden too and I like to spy on the girls from there as they are right under the window so i get a birds eye view of their antics!!). Occasionally (once or twice a week) the shed door gets propped open with a brick but most days is locked shut. A couple of weeks ago one of the piggies died...he was only 1 :( and now there is one left on his/her own. I was emptying to bunny litter trays into the bin on the drive this morning and the neighbour asked about our rabbits and she said that one of her piggies had died and that she was 'hoping' the other one would die soon of a lonley heart :( I just walked away and shut the gate and carried on doing what I was doing but seriously? why would anyone hope that their pet died? :(

I was just watching out the bedroom window and she came out and opened the shed..I could see the piggy and the neighbour sort of pulled a 'huffy' face, shook her head and threw a handful of piggy muesli through the bars of the cage. Piggy doesnt ever get out of the cage, no run, no toys, no sunlight, very little contact with its owners and now no piggy mate either...

I was so tempted to tell her that I would take the piggy but I know nothing about them and I cant afford the layout for a hutch and run at the moment (we need to get the girls spayed and with christmas coming up etc) :( but i cant stop thinking about him/her :(

Last edited:
Aww I'm sorry :( poor piggy. From the sounds of it, poor piggy probably would be better off dead than living with them.

Kidsgrove Piggy Rescue are pretty good at taking in piggys. Why not reccomend them to her?

Kidsgrove Piggy Rescue are pretty good at taking in piggys. Why not reccomend them to her?

Or even take him and then work on getting him into a rescue yourself if you cant keep him. He would be much better off with you, even if you temporarily (until you get him a place in rescue) used the cage hes already in. Atleast he would get some love, attention and play time.

Poor piggy :cry: Id get him out of there as soon as possible x

Or even take him and then work on getting him into a rescue yourself if you cant keep him. He would be much better off with you, even if you temporarily (until you get him a place in rescue) used the cage hes already in. Atleast he would get some love, attention and play time.

Poor piggy :cry: Id get him out of there as soon as possible x

Kidsgrove usually take piggies right away, I think they can always house them :)

im coming up to yours in the week if you can take it off her ill take her down to helen @ the potteries Guineapig rescue centre later in the week?
im overdue a visit to the piggy rescue?

im coming up to yours in the week if you can take it off her ill take her down to helen @ the potteries Guineapig rescue centre later in the week?
im overdue a visit to the piggy rescue?

Excellent plan! :thumb: I will speak to her and see if I can get her to agree...I dont really get on at all with her but hopefully she will see that its the right thing to do! (Its her boys piggy) but they are getting a new puppy next week...

If she agrees to it (i cant see why she wont but nowt stranger than folk eh?) then what do i need to do to care for him? she he be indoors? I dont have a shed that I can put him in? And the little cage would be too open to be outside on its own :?

I possibly have another small pet nightmare on my hands at the moment...a friend of a friend is relocating and has two frech lops that she needs to rehome :( my friend is taking the other doe they have that lives by herself to bond with her current neutered male but she cant take the lops aswell :( I need a HUGE garden :(

Last edited:
Excellent plan! :thumb: I will speak to her and see if I can get her to agree...I dont really get on at all with her but hopefully she will see that its the right thing to do! (Its her boys piggy) but they are getting a new puppy next week...

If she agrees to it (i cant see why she wont but nowt stranger than folk eh?) then what do i need to do to care for him? she he be indoors? I dont have a shed that I can put him in? And the little cage would be too open to be outside on its own :?

I possibly have another small pet nightmare on my hands at the moment...a friend of a friend is relocating and has two frech lops that she needs to rehome :( my friend is taking the other doe they have that lives by herself to bond with her current neutered male but she cant take the lops aswell :( I need a HUGE garden :(

ill Phone helen tomorow and see what i can sort out, then if she does decide to let piggy go i can get it to her,
hmm mine are outdoor in a hutch but id not want them in a cage, sould you bring it in for a day or so? and ill come up when i can lol.
ill make the time.
aww poor lops, im awfull always taking on rescues waifs and strays.
i lost one of my lops today :( , and not taking any more rescues on too heartbreaking.:(

Ok great I will tall to her tonight/tomorrow morning :)

As for the lops I know what you mean, I know nothing about French lops :( sorry to hear you lost one today :(

well just to update...

The lady refused to let me take the piggy becuase her kids loved it :( even though we had a rescue plan lined up and she could have been paired up with another piggy.

This evening while I was putting some rubbish out in the bins I saw the lady next door and she told me piggy had died this morning :cry: She thinks it was the cold. Im gutted. I wish wish wish she had let me have the piggy and she would have been safe now...not dead. The kids are without their piggy now anyway but she had to suffer just to keep them happy :cry:

Back