• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Think POO !!

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Lots of threads in Health about Rabbit's who appear to be unwell often start with 'He/she was fine last night but this morning he/she is refusing food'
But seldom is there any mention of poo output. I thought it might be useful (apologies to those reading this as JJ thinking she knows it all again.....) to remind us all that what comes out (ie poo!!) is just as important as what is going in. Changes in poo output will happen BEFORE a Rabbit stops eating. A Rabbit refusing food and with no poo output for several hours is a Rabbit in big trouble and in need of urgent Veterinary attention. An anorexic Rabbit who is still producing poo is likely to be less ill but still in need of Veterinary attention.

So make friends with your Bunny's poo and get to know what is normal as it can serve as a good early warning sign about a GI tract motility problem

:love:

Great thread Jane. Very important to consider, however, it doesn't always appear true :( Just to confuse matters.

Good point to make Jane :thumb:

Unfortunately for me, and probably with others too, each of my couples shares a litter tray so it is difficult to spot if one of them isn't pooing. Everytime one of mine has been unwell, it has been the Anorexia that I have noticed first xxx

Good point to make Jane :thumb:

Unfortunately for me, and probably with others too, each of my couples shares a litter tray so it is difficult to spot if one of them isn't pooing. Everytime one of mine has been unwell, it has been the Anorexia that I have noticed first xxx

I think it can sometimes be possible to notice less poo in a litter tray shared by 2 Rabbits. For me this prompts me to have a feel of/listen to both Rabbit's abdomens. I dont always get it right, but I have picked up a few cases of imminent gut stasis sooner rather than later.

I think it can sometimes be possible to notice less poo in a litter tray shared by 2 Rabbits. For me this prompts me to have a feel of/listen to both Rabbit's abdomens. I dont always get it right, but I have picked up a few cases of imminent gut stasis sooner rather than later.

I really must get more in touch with my buns litter trays then :lol:

Jane, as always a great point. You're right, not eating is an immediate red flag but we can only tell if they are not pooing by knowing what their normal litter tray looks like.

I struggle with this when I get new fosters in. With my own buns I know whose poo is whose and what is normal but it takes a while to get to know new buns. Added to this is the fact they are stressed on arrival and therefore eating and pooing less! It doesn't take long to get to know them though and I would always wait to spay or neuter till I know what is normal so I can tell when they're off colour.

Couldn't agree more Jane. :thumb:

I am already near-obsessed by Spenser poo. :oops: They are not golden, but never have been. I am trying to cut his pellets and veg back a bit, but it is difficult to find the right balance. :?

Last night he made a 'bracelet'. The little rascal will not let me brush him, but at least the fur is being processed if it comes out as a bracelet.

I'm love being on poo patrol.

My neighbours must wonder what I am doing when collecting and inspecting the poo in the several litter trays scattered around the garden.

"There she goes again off to collect and dissect the rabbit droppings!!!"

"Poor woman.............................":oops::oops:

I don't care!!:D:D:D Estelle's are sometimes like a little raindrop with a small pointy bit on the end. Frankie's are just perfect for such a perfect ickle bunny.:love:

I change the girls litter tray each morning and then in the evening i sift out poop from both trays before i tuck them up for the night...it makes me feel happier knowing that there has been output through the day..now if only they could poop different colours (maybe one pink/one purple :lol: ) so that I know they are both going normally!! :oops:

I couldn't agree more, Jane. I am often so surprised at the level of detail in a post, except the fundamental fact of whether there has been poo, when to me it is the most important thing.

It's easier to check poo with my indoor buns. With the outdoor ones they aren't that good at using their trays and often go in their run (which I don't clean out every day). It is also difficult to tell with multiple buns who has been and who hasn't. I notice disinterest in food as most of them dash over when it's brekkie and supper time. If anybun who usually does, doesn't - I watch them carefully. I know which buns are more leisurely about their noms and I go away and come back to check they are eating.

I think it's important to know what is 'normal' for everybun so that anything out of the ordinary is picked up quickly. A couple of my buns do occasionally eat less for a couple of days and then pick up again - I think it may be connected with their moult as they have always been fine with no intervention. I always try and balance the stress of a vet visit with the risk of leaving them if they need treatment and err on the side of caution if I am in doubt.

Well said! :)

I change the girls litter tray each morning and then in the evening i sift out poop from both trays before i tuck them up for the night...it makes me feel happier knowing that there has been output through the day..now if only they could poop different colours (maybe one pink/one purple :lol: ) so that I know they are both going normally!! :oops:

:lol: That would be lovely! :love:

I can often be found picking up random poo from the litter tray and squishing it to check the consistency :oops: It makes hubby gag and my mum was horrified when I told her!

With my two, it's easy to tell which poo belongs to which bun as they are very different and they also choose to poo in different corners of the litter tray, which is convenient :lol:

Great post Jane, had it not been for this forum, I would never have known the importance of checking output as well as input :thumb:

Back