• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed about little OscarD. u/d 10/12..its happening again 13/12:(

Would really like some advice about our little chap.

It started on wednesday, we had gone out for a friends birthday, all buns fed their pellets before we went out and all were eating. We got back at 1.30 am, and made up the veg (we normally give this between 9-10). Opened up Oscar and Tilly's cage to feed them, Tilly started munching straight away. OscarD turned his nose up:shock:.

He then ran out of the cage into the front room and straight into one of their boxes. I sat by the box and watched him, he kept getting up, then lying down (like he was trying to get comfortable). We put some veg and pellets in the box with him....nothing...totally uninterested. We made him move around a little bit, and then i picked him up to give him a gentle tummy massage. Rich rearranged the boxes and tunnels (we do this because it seems to spark their interest, when they are feeling poorly, and encourages them to move around by their own free will). I put Oscar back down, and he ran into his box. Tilly was running around exploring, running into his box, giving him licks ect. Id just picked up the phone to call the vets (its about 2.30am). And he pokes his head out of the box, and has a run round.....5mins later he's jumping on boxes, running around like he normally does, runs into their cage and starts chowing down on veg.

So we put this down to us being late with the veg. He is his normal self, up until lastnight....he ate his pellets, and veg, munching on hay all night. Then he started to do the 'i want to get comfortable' thing...lying down getting back up ect. Tried him with a pellet..nothing...a bit more veg...nothing. So again we repeat what we did on weds. I put a stick of nature wood down, he sniffed it had a tiny nibble and back into his box, couple of mins later he's back and polishes off the apple stick....back to his normal self again:?. This morning he's running around, eating hay, ate his pellets ect.

Sorry for the long post, does anyone have any idea what is going on, is he having bouts of stasis?.

Last edited:
They look good, he shares with Tilly but all the poo's look fine. Decent size, shape.

Are you able to tell the difference between a 'normal' feeling Rabbit abdomen and one that is tender/abnormal ?

It really is hard to say what may be wrong as so much more information can be obtained from an examination than just from trying to interpret symptoms.

Is his urine output normal with no signs of sludgey wee ?

What veggies do you feed them?

I ask because there are certain veg, such as broccolli, cabbage, kale, cauliflower etc that can cause gas. I dont feed mine stuff like that atall as I have 2 that cant handle it atall.

Are you able to tell the difference between a 'normal' feeling Rabbit abdomen and one that is tender/abnormal ?

It really is hard to say what may be wrong as so much more information can be obtained from an examination than just from trying to interpret symptoms.

Is his urine output normal with no signs of sludgey wee ?

I must say im not that confident when it comes to feeling what is normal and what isn't (could you give me tips on what would be abnormal). I haven't noticed any sludgey wee (just to check, is sludgey wee like creamy, white and a bit thicker than normal wee?). he seems to be weeing ok (its difficult because he and Tilly share litter trays. I haven't noticed him straining or anything like that.

What veggies do you feed them?

I ask because there are certain veg, such as broccolli, cabbage, kale, cauliflower etc that can cause gas. I dont feed mine stuff like that atall as I have 2 that cant handle it atall.

We give spring greens, kale, broccolli. I thought the veg lastnight but on weds he hadnt had any.

Its happening again, the very same thing....little Oscar has eaten his pellets (about 6ish), and at 9 he was in the litter tray stuffing his face with hay. He has just started to try and get comfy in his box (lots of shuffling, moving, sitting down, flopping, but isn't settling ), said to rich this is the same as before. We offered him veg, pellets..nothing, he wont touch it.

God has anyone got any ideas as to what the problem is?.
We are doing them a new box and have changed the current boxes around. Im going to pick him up and give tummy rubs. He will be going to the vets if no improvement soon.

Are any of your veggies from plastic bags (ie prepacked in plastic bags) there are often reports of this causing issues.

Y

Are any of your veggies from plastic bags (ie prepacked in plastic bags) there are often reports of this causing issues.

Y

:wave: We took little Oscar to the vets last night, he just wasn't improving no matter what we did. The vet gave him a metacam, metoclopramide and a ranitadine injection, he is his normal self today:?.

We do buy kale in pre packed bags, will change that!.

hello

to me it sounds like bouts of gas, i have had quite a few buns with very similar symptoms, pressing the stomach to the floor is usually a sure sign. Some rabbits work through it themselves but it can develop into stasis just as easily. My vet recommended infacol which helps break down the bubbles of gas in the stomach and cutting down the pellets.

:wave: We took little Oscar to the vets last night, he just wasn't improving no matter what we did. The vet gave him a metacam, metoclopramide and a ranitadine injection, he is his normal self today:?.

We do buy kale in pre packed bags, will change that!.

If you feed Kale often it is possible the high calcium content 'may' be causing bladder issues either sludge or stones - both of which are painful and cause discomfort and pain on urination and pain/stress causes secondary GI symptoms. Fluid is imperative for both conditions - to rehydrate the bowel and to dissolve excess calcium crystals. Oscar I think needs further investigations, some bloods would help and from experience a 'course' of gut prokinetics (ranitidine and metclopramide) as it seems he is in recurrent non-resolving ileus/stasis. Finding the cause of the pain is essential.

Thank you for your replies (sorry i havnt replied sooner, i usually get an email when someone posts but didnt, so thought no one had posted).

Oscar, within the last hour is showing the same signs, he wont eat, flopping ect:cry:. I am now beside myself. Rich is rushing back from work to take us to the vets. It will take him 40 mins to get home and another 30 to get to the vets. Im shaking im so upset, it just comes on so suddenly, he was filling his face with hay not long ago.

Thank you hun. Well we are back from the vets, his tummy felt ok, his temperature was fine:?.

We have meds for him, metacam, metoclop, ranitadine and baytril. We really need to get to the bottom of this, i will book an appt with Jason to have some bloods done.
Im so worried about our little chap, it comes on so suddenly, by the grace of god i was off today.

Thank you hun. Well we are back from the vets, his tummy felt ok, his temperature was fine:?.

We have meds for him, metacam, metoclop, ranitadine and baytril. We really need to get to the bottom of this, i will book an appt with Jason to have some bloods done.
Im so worried about our little chap, it comes on so suddenly, by the grace of god i was off today.

Are you talking about Jason at Woods? If so I would say that Oscar is in excellent hands!

Good luck, positive vibes being sent.

Keep us updated x

Are you talking about Jason at Woods? If so I would say that Oscar is in excellent hands!

Good luck, positive vibes being sent.

Keep us updated x

:wave: Yes it is Jason at woods, he really is amazing. Little Oscar is eating now thank god, he isnt quite himself but i think that is the stress of it all.
Will phone tomorrow for an appt with Jason, and get to the bottom of this.

Back