• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny is Thumping REALLY loud~help!

texskiss

New Kit
We ran out of pellets yesterday so my daughter gave my bunny extra hay and veggies to hold her over till tomorrow. She gave Cozi (my bunny) her regular Kale and herbs but also gave her some broccoli (I didn't know this until I just saw it in her playpen)
Cozi is thumping SO loud it woke me up!! I think the broccoli hurt her tummy!!! I gave her a little syringe with pineapple nectar but is there anything else i can do?? Poor little girl!!!
*email removed*
THANK YOU!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wont e-mail as i dont really have an answer but rabbits normally thump when they are frightened. Is she doing anything else to suggest that she is in pain? Ive not heared of a rabbit thumping when it has pain in its gut, normally they dont move and look sluggish. Is she out side? It could have been that she saw a fox or something out side startled her, a noise she hasnt heard before or something. If she has stopped eating/drinking/pooing then id talk to your vets

Shes inside out home~~she has a big play pen. I just saw the big stalk of broccoli and thought maybe it gave her gas. maybe shes just hungry. I read that they thump if they are scared or in pain. Maybe she's hungry. Another site said to give her a little dry oatmeal to hold her over until tomorrow. I've never heard her thumping so loud!!

Last edited:
My rabbit sometimes thumping very loud, sometimes in night and it always woke me up. He doing this when he is scared eg from loudly people in the street. And a few times he doing it when he want to tell me " I am very unhappy than you doing this! " . For eg after his nail clipping, in a vet he thumping all the time :roll: or when i dont want to give him a treat. :lol: So it can be a pain but can be something different.

I am pretty sure this is sexual or dominance and doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your bun.

My bun stamps just before she thinks of humping my arm :D

Broccoli can be quite gassy, especially if bunny isn't used to it. Is Cozi showing any other signs of discomfort though? Eg. pushing her tummy to the floor, sitting hunched in the corner, refusing to eat, or just generally not seeming herself. Do her poos look normal?

The main bulk of the diet is hay so, if you don't have any pellets, she would be fine to eat just hay for a day or so until you can get some more pellets. :)

Thumping is more often a sign that something has scared them or that they disapprove of something as others have already said.

Wow~~exhausting night. I was up all night with Cozi. She seems OK now. maybe she was just throwing a fit about wanting more pellets. She's been hopping out of her playpen and getting up on our food table and knocking her pellet food bag to the floor to try to get more lately. She chews all around the edges trying to get into it. (I never knew bunnies were so smart!) I think she just really loves those pellets. She went poo, so that's a good sign. I'll go this morning and get her pellets. I had never heard such loud thumping!!! I thought our hot water heater was going out!! Thank you all for your help. That was scary. i thought she was in pain! :D:D

I'm also going to get more night lights for her room. I only have 2 in there right now. maybe it's too dark. Do bunnies get scared of the dark? LOL

Hi there, I don't think rabbits are really afraid of the dark. In the wild, they live like that too. At least mine haven't reacted badly to darkness. In fact, it might do them good to have night darkness as we humans need darkness when we sleep too.

As for thumping, my boy bun does it whenever he hears strange loud noises - and it could be anything from a guest in the house speaking loudly, to us chopping veggies in the kitchen! but once the noise is over, he calms down... I just love how they communicate with us!

Back