• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best wood for buns? (for building with)

aalur

Warren Scout
OH wants to build a bunny 'climbing frame' in the hall for Roo and Oscar, he would like me to ask what would be the safest wood to use and possibly any bun safe paint? bearing in mind that Roo is an obsessive chewer and will definitely munch on it.

I would use ply. Its sheet wood so can be cut to any size. It can be attached with batons. My dad made my guinea pigs a hutch from ply.
gphutch.jpg

What is that cheap wood? Can't remember what it's called - sugar - I'll edit later.

But isn't redwood very expensive?

I wanted to use that tongue in groove for the edges of mine - what wood is that? And is the same wood ok for the frame?

Also - it has to be untanalised doesn't it?

how to build an aviary

Hi all

I want to build an bird and rabbit aviary.
i would like to know how to do the foundation. do I use concret and put grass on top of it. or what can i do so that the rabbits cant dig out?

What is that cheap wood? Can't remember what it's called - sugar - I'll edit later.

But isn't redwood very expensive?

I wanted to use that tongue in groove for the edges of mine - what wood is that? And is the same wood ok for the frame?

Also - it has to be untanalised doesn't it?

Redwood does cost more than Whitewood but Redwood will last longer and the grooves in the edges are called cladding and there are different types of cladding, shiplap, PTGVJ and BEADED PTGVJ etc. I use PTGVJ Redwood.

Yes you need what timber yards call untreated timber and you should ideally get PAR (Planed all round) rather than sawn.

Hope this helps

thanks everyone, :wave: just didn't want to use anything that would be harmful to her, didn't know if there was any specific wood to avoid that is harmful to rabbits... but then she's eaten my skirting boards and survived to munch another day..... OH isn't pleased, he says if she carries on, we'll wake up one morning and be stuck up in the bedroom, as she'll have eaten through the stairs! :lol:

Back