• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What jabs, worming and when?

First time bunny owner here, I am now the owner of a 10 week old crossbred lop.

I have a vet nearby that I am going to take him to next week for a checkup but I am wondering at what age rabbits need their jabs and what jabs do they need? Also he is a house rabbit but will be going outside in my parents house occasionally so I will have to have him wormed, when is the best time to do this too? Thank you for any information :D

Myxomatosis can be done now (from 6 weeks of age). Here's a link for you to read about it:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/understanding_myxo_feb06.htm

And VHD can also be done now (from 5 weeks of age (for Lapinject vaccine)), but must be done 2 weeks after the myxomatosis. Here's another link for you:

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/VHD_UK.htm

There are two brands of VHD vaccine; Cylap and Lapinject. Cylap causes side effects in 50% of rabbits, which include limping, burns on the skin and general off colour. It's best avoided. Ask your vet to get Lapinject VHD vaccination in for you.

Myxomatosis can be done now (from 6 weeks of age). Here's a link for you to read about it:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/understanding_myxo_feb06.htm

And VHD can also be done now (from 5 weeks of age (for Lapinject vaccine)), but must be done 2 weeks after the myxomatosis. Here's another link for you:

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/VHD_UK.htm

There are two brands of VHD vaccine; Cylap and Lapinject. Cylap causes side effects in 50% of rabbits, which include limping, burns on the skin and general off colour. It's best avoided. Ask your vet to get Lapinject VHD vaccination in for you.

Fab info, definitely avoid cylap even if your vet says 'we've never had any problems'. There are many reported cases.

This is a good article: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?52031-FAQ-%96-Rabbit-Vaccination

Myxo is recommended twice a year and VHD once a year :wave:

If a rabbit has already had Cylap and had no side effects, does that mean they'll be fine with it next time? Finx was given Cylap by my vet, but Tango had Anivac at his rescue centre - which should I ask for next time?

Sorry to hijack your thread... :oops:

If a rabbit has already had Cylap and had no side effects, does that mean they'll be fine with it next time? Finx was given Cylap by my vet, but Tango had Anivac at his rescue centre - which should I ask for next time?

Sorry to hijack your thread... :oops:

always ask for either Lapinject or Anivac. My two rabbits have had Cylap before with no problems, and this time around they were accidentally given the cylap vaccine, and one ended up with a burn and the other had gut stasis and limping. :( Both are fine now.

always ask for either Lapinject or Anivac. My two rabbits have had Cylap before with no problems, and this time around they were accidentally given the cylap vaccine, and one ended up with a burn and the other had gut stasis and limping. :( Both are fine now.

Ouch, ok thanks, they're not due until August so I'll ask about it. They're going for a check up and nail clipping on Tuesday, maybe I can ask the vet about whether they can get hold of Anivac on request if all they usually have is Cylap. Finx has had gut stasis before, I wouldn't want her to go through it again - or me for that matter! Thanks for your advice, glad your two are well.

Thank you for clearing that up, at least I will have a better idea what I am talking about now when I take a trip to the vets!

Back