• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits urinating but not pooping in indoor run

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi i'm not sure if i have put this in the right forum so sorry if i have.

Right we last month got some vinyl flooring for our conservatory so that the rabbits could get out during the winter and so we can easily clean it. We have a run on top of the flooring as we cannot let the rabbits have the whole of the conservatory. Anyway when we first tried them on it they did act strangely at first because they slid a bit on it but they got used to it and eventually started urinating and pooping like they would in the outside runs. Now i have noticed that they are urinating in the run but not pooping. They have been pooping in thier hutches definitely as i always check for it. I'm just confused why they would stop pooping while in the run but poop in thier hutch? I am just wondering if it is anything to worry about or if it is just them being picky?

There's nothing to worry about health wise as long as they're pooping somewhere.
Usually once they've got a good scent in their environment they'll poop mainly in 1 place apart from occasional small accidents. They use both poop & wee to mark their territory - "This place is ours - Trespassers keep off".

When I used to have to clean up some accidents, I'd clean thoroughly immediately but only use water. My house doesn't smell at all to humans but it obviously smells of Thumper to him. I don't use anything scented at all. It would only provoke him to "scent" over it reinforcing his own scent.

They may need a litter tray if they've no alternative place to go. If they refuse to use a tray (like mine) they may use our arrangement of a modified wildie latrine.

If they've got into the habit of going anywhere they're very difficult to train.

There's nothing to worry about health wise as long as they're pooping somewhere.
Usually once they've got a good scent in their environment they'll poop mainly in 1 place apart from occasional small accidents. They use both poop & wee to mark their territory - "This place is ours - Trespassers keep off".

When I used to have to clean up some accidents, I'd clean thoroughly immediately but only use water. My house doesn't smell at all to humans but it obviously smells of Thumper to him. I don't use anything scented at all. It would only provoke him to "scent" over it reinforcing his own scent.

They may need a litter tray if they've no alternative place to go. If they refuse to use a tray (like mine) they may use our arrangement of a modified wildie latrine.

If they've got into the habit of going anywhere they're very difficult to train.

Well they are an odd bunch. Scruffy doesn't have a litter tray. Mainly because he changes his toilet corners randomly. Always has done. He has been urinating in four corners of his hutch His main two are usually in the bed area. The others all have litter trays but sometimes they can still urinate or poop in other areas. Now that we have joined two hutches together so four siblings are in one very large hutch they are doing thier toilets still mostly in the litter trays but some just outside the bedding areas (i don't know why they like urinating in thier beds but they all do apart from two of our seven rabbits) The two that don't urinate or poop in thier bed areas use the litter trays.

Something that may explain the not pooping could be that before i would just wash the urine with water and sweep up the poops. Now i disinfect where they have urinated. Could this be something to consider? Is vinyl flooring alright for rabbits? I did randomly think earlier today when i was cleaning up urine that after i sprayed the disinfectant it did smell a bit like the vets so maybe the smell of the vinyl floor after being disinfected is making them think of the vets and uncomfortable?

Back