• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies at our local country park aw! UPDATE I've had a reply

fiona0529

Alpha Buck
They have a children's zoo but all the pens are unaccessable to visitors. They have 2 gorgeous lops in a nice big enclosure with lots of hidey holes. My only concern is that its not covered and not sure where they go at night but took a few pics.

IMG00369-20111113-1413.jpg

Last edited:
It certainly looks very spacious for them, was the fence stiff mesh do you know? I hope they do have somewhere safe for the nights.

I think it was pretty stiff mesh. Seemed pretty sturdy. There were plenty of shelters for them but nowhere that seemed suitable for them to spend the night. Think i might email them and ask. Will just be worrying about them lol.

Calderglen in ek. X

Not been there in a while. The enclosures do look good, but i would probably want to check too that the bunnies are safe at night.

Even not at night to be honest, there would abe a chance a fox or bird of prey could get them through the day!

Not been there in a while. The enclosures do look good, but i would probably want to check too that the bunnies are safe at night.

Even not at night to be honest, there would abe a chance a fox or bird of prey could get them through the day!

Thats what i was thinking too. Would much prefer if it was covered. Being a country park there must be all sorts of predators in the woods.
There are piggies too in a big enclosure with a brick shelter for them. Again it is uncovered and the fence is only knee height so worried anyone could just wander off with one!

Thats what i was thinking too. Would much prefer if it was covered. Being a country park there must be all sorts of predators in the woods.
There are piggies too in a big enclosure with a brick shelter for them. Again it is uncovered and the fence is only knee height so worried anyone could just wander off with one!

Fone / email them, see what they say. If you don't get a decent response then i am happy to contact them and complain too. You get all sorts of sicko's nowadays so would be worried for the piggies too.

They are clearly trying to do good by giving them loads of space, but i would worry for their safety too.

Fone / email them, see what they say. If you don't get a decent response then i am happy to contact them and complain too. You get all sorts of sicko's nowadays so would be worried for the piggies too.

They are clearly trying to do good by giving them loads of space, but i would worry for their safety too.
Thanks, i have just sent an email so will let you know if and when they get back to me. I'm a member of rwaf so will email them too!

The new pics are great, those bunnies look so dwarfed by the space which is fab. It is great you are emailing too :thumb:

Update

I have had a reply about the bunnies. What do you think?

"Hello there Fiona, Thank you for your enquiry about the rabbits. I am in the process of building a new rabbit enclosure at the moment.It will not be covered as we provide safe places for them to run too and have never lost a rabbit to a predator. Stoats or Weasels could undoubtedly take them if determined enough but we seem to have enough wild rabbits to keep them occupied. Of course covering the enclosure would not stop them. The rabbits are locked away at night. Hopefully we are always trying to improve our exhibits and standards and the new enclosure should do both. Do not hesitate to ask for me if you would like to discuss this further."

Sounds pretty good to me. If they are locked up at night then I would think there were enough people around during the day to deter predators.

I know it seems cruel as these look like domesticated buns but I would much rather they lived like this with the risk of preditors than be locked away in a small hutch all the time.

At the end of the day wild buns get caught by preditors all the time and we dont attempt to catch them all and put them in hutches.

I know it seems cruel as these look like domesticated buns but I would much rather they lived like this with the risk of preditors than be locked away in a small hutch all the time.

At the end of the day wild buns get caught by preditors all the time and we dont attempt to catch them all and put them in hutches.

My worry wasn't about them getting locked up in a small hutch, I wondered why the enclosure couldn't be covered. That way they still have the space to run around and have a reduced risk of predators.

My worry wasn't about them getting locked up in a small hutch, I wondered why the enclosure couldn't be covered. That way they still have the space to run around and have a reduced risk of predators.

It would have to be pretty strong mesh to cover it- which I guess would then make it difficult for the keepers to get in and out to clean etc.

Back