• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cheapest Bio Lapis (incl bulk buy)?

Vita

Mama Doe
It looks like the cheapest for a 15-pack is Chemist Direct at £15.39. But if they're going to be on antibiotics for months - and then need spaying and jabs - then a bulk buy could be worthwhile.
On Pet Prescription the bulk buy works out at 74p per sachet (92.99 for 125). Is that the cheapest?

Some of you - eg sanctuaries - must get through a lot; where do you use to get a good deal on it?

Just being nosey Vita, what are you getting this med for? :D

Good luck, I am sure someone will be along to offer some good advice

That's a good price. Thanks Suzanne! Will see if any other suggestions come up in the thread, but that one looks like a possibility to order the next lot from.

Fayelou: Biolapis is a probiotic. Rabbits' health is quite heavily dependent on the wellbeing of their guts, and as in people, antibiotics kill off the natural gut flora ("friendly bacteria"). It is good for them to have a supplement whilst they are on antibiotics and for a week or two afterwards. One of the otherwise not-brilliant first vets I saw told me about it and gave me a few sachets. I've been advised to keep them on it whilst they are on the meds just now.
They also really like it! It's described as "dandelion flavour" on the pack, which is so cute. They eagerly lap up a dish of water with a sachet of this in it each morning.

There are cheaper probiotics around but they contain different stuff - lactobacillus like you get in human probiotics. I read *once* that lactobacillus wasn't the optimal stuff for rabbits but I haven't managed to find that reference again (may have just been a forum post somewhere) or locate any more research on it. Besides, I'm somewhat reluctant to get something they might like less. And the main competitor Avipro has sugar in it, which isn't very good for buns.

ETA: Excel Junior & Dwarf pellets also contain the active ingredient in BioLapis, which is called saccharomyces cerevisiae.

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't know that.

I will order some for Simba for whilst she is on these meds. Good to see you got a good price as well.

Loads of nose rubs for your buns. You are becoming a really expert bunny mummy :love:

Loads of nose rubs for your buns. You are becoming a really expert bunny mummy :love:
LOL. You should see me trying (and failing) to keep hold of a squirmy rabbit. I'm nearly all theory, me.

Re. Biolapis - some places (including the packet) say giving them a short course is enough. I've just been asking vets if I should continue with it, and they've always said yes. You might want to check with the vets how long they reckon Simba should have it, but if she's not been well, a few days' worth seems like a good idea any road.

I have 6 x 2g unopened sachets left over from my late bunny boy, they are just sat in my kitchen cupboard I dont know what to do with them, let me know if they are any good and I can post them

I'm so sorry for not replying to this earlier. Am rather absent minded at times. It's a very kind offer.
Perhaps there might be a poster who's really really broke who needs some?
But if someone in greater need doesn't come forward I would happily take it - & pay your postage costs via Paypal if you like?

Back