• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help

Are the domestic Rabbits vaccinated against Myxomatosis and VHD ? If not they should be.

I would also flea treat the domestic Rabbits

How has the rabbit been mixing with hares? Normally the species avoid each other and their life styles are quite different. You do mean real, wild hares?

But anyway, while hares may carry fleas, they do not themselves get myxomatosis. Which I know doesn't really answer your question...

I think the issue is not so much that s/he's been consorting with hares - which surprises me anyway as hares are solitary creatures who only really get together to mate - but that s/he's been living rough. Are you getting the rabbit from a rescue or from someone knowledgeable about rabbits? Might they already have taken care of flea treatments? But anyway, you'll be wanting to take the rabbit to the vet for a check and any vaccinations so he or she will be able to advise you.

Perhaps someone will come along and advise whether a period of quarantine might be a good idea when you get rabbit home.

yeah getting it from a friend who is very knowledgeable when it come to rabbits

yeah when i get it i will be taking it to the vets to see what they say

Wait never mind :lol:

I'd have the rabbit de fleaed, checked for ticks, vaccinated and neutered :wave: keep the new rabbit away from yours for atleast two weeks :wave:

Hares aren't wild rabbits, they are a completely different species and wouldnt normally interact. Do you mean wild rabbits, or perhaps the rabbit breed 'belgian hare' which just looks like a hare?

Are you getting a domestic stray rabbit, a wild rabbit or a hare?

Everyone is confused :lol:

haha sorry im getting a domestic stray rabbit

but it has been near hares (one ear is chewed by a hare must of got in a fight)

Ah in that case de-flea and quarentine, I know some people panacur new buns from uncertain backgrounds as well. Make sure to wash your hands between them, and your clothes too if they touch them.

When you take the bun to the vet I would get them to do the first vacc and get a defleaing thing from them, I would also get them to check the buns teeth to see what you may be dealing with in that respect.

Back