• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What breed is Lola?

shelley

Mama Doe
Her adoption certificate just says domestic rabbit but p@h said that her previous owner described her as a nethie cross, does anyone know what she's crossed with?

2agm3c3.jpg

Ooo Jane She's identical to that picture! You should change your sceen name to the oracle! Thank you :D

She is absolutely gorgeous!

Thank you :D I think she is too but she was over looked for 6months before i got her. She's done so well and im very proud of her. She was massively overweight when i got her (nearly a year ago now) and she had quite a few behavioral problems with grunting and lunging and food possesiveness but she's (almost) the pefect bun now :)

This is what she looked like last year :shock:

[video]http://i54.tinypic.com/2hoy3hj.jpg[/video]

Thank you :D I think she is too but she was over looked for 6months before i got her. She's done so well and im very proud of her. She was massively overweight when i got her (nearly a year ago now) and she had quite a few behavioral problems with grunting and lunging and food possesiveness but she's (almost) the pefect bun now :)

This is what she looked like last year :shock:

[video]http://i54.tinypic.com/2hoy3hj.jpg[/video]
Goodness. Her body looks the size of a football. What a great job you have done.

She was like a pot bellied pig and took months of bum cleaning! Im glad i got her, its been so rewarding to watch her flourish :)

Yes she does, i always though Lola was too big to be a nethie but im not good with types of breed

Yes we've always thought the same - Fudge is about 2 kg and Truffle (her littermate) is only 1 kg and looks much more like a nethie. Fudge's ears are too long too. We always thought they must be crossed with something but didn't know where to start. Ours were sold as Nethies at P@H.

Can't believe the difference in Lola - she was so round! She is lovely.

Her markings are definitely of a silver martin, she looks similar to a martin sable but they are huge in comparison!
She's lovely though :)

Ah I remember Lola, the P@H adoption section bun, right? She's slimmed down a lot! Did you bond them in the end?

I would say she's probably just crossed with a generic pet rabbit, as you can find that colouring in a lot of breeds, she could be quite a mix. I think most buns bought from pet shops or back yard breeders, as she probably orginally was before you rescued her, are a heinz mix, even if they look like one thing.

She's not a silver marten, they're much bigger and have a 'fox' colouring (no orange/yellow tones) the bun in the pic is otter coloured

With the colour and size of the body/ears I'd say it is quite likely she has some nethie in her :)

ETA: Confused myself there with UK and American breeds. The American Silver Marten is very similar to the UK Silver Fox (The American Silver Fox looks very different) but your rabbit is neither of these breeds, and the rabbit in the wikipedia silver marten picture isn't actually a silver marten it's probably a cross breed with otter (not fox or marten) colouring.

Last edited:
There are so many different breeds! My vets have put on Finx's vaccination card that she is a Rex crossbreed, but from the pics of Rexes on here I can't see it.

You've done well getting Lola in such good shape!

There are so many different breeds! My vets have put on Finx's vaccination card that she is a Rex crossbreed, but from the pics of Rexes on here I can't see it.

You've done well getting Lola in such good shape!

Rex are a very 'regular' rabbit shape I can see how a vet could think this but there are a lot of other breeds with a 'regular' rabbit shape and size (If you get what I mean, no tiny nethie ears, no squashed faces or other elaborate features), with some buns it's impossible to tell, all the vets I've used would just put 'cross breed' and a colour though :)

Ah I remember Lola, the P@H adoption section bun, right? She's slimmed down a lot! Did you bond them in the end?

I would say she's probably just crossed with a generic pet rabbit, as you can find that colouring in a lot of breeds, she could be quite a mix. I think most buns bought from pet shops or back yard breeders, as she probably orginally was before you rescued her, are a heinz mix, even if they look like one thing.

Thats right :)

I went to see her every day for about 2months (i didnt think my OH would let me have her so didnt ask :roll:) then i went in to get her and they said she's been adopted already, i was devestated. Went back in a few weeks later and she was back in the pen, she adnt been adopted at all, she was just very ill and couldnt be put out on show, i took her there and then :D She's doing great. She's not a greedy bun at all, she just never had the oppertunity of exercise. The guys at p@h cant believe her improvement! She can actually binky now!

I dont really mind what she is. An aquaintance of mine on facebook who breeds rabbits asked me what breed she was, ive been shunted by a few of her friends before because they were all pushing baby buns on other people i know and i told them they shouldnt breed if they couldnt find them homes so i really didnt want it to look like i didnt have a clue what breed she was after making out i knew what was best lol.

Thats right :)

I went to see her every day for about 2months (i didnt think my OH would let me have her so didnt ask :roll:) then i went in to get her and they said she's been adopted already, i was devestated. Went back in a few weeks later and she was back in the pen, she adnt been adopted at all, she was just very ill and couldnt be put out on show, i took her there and then :D She's doing great. She's not a greedy bun at all, she just never had the oppertunity of exercise. The guys at p@h cant believe her improvement! She can actually binky now!

I dont really mind what she is. An aquaintance of mine on facebook who breeds rabbits asked me what breed she was, ive been shunted by a few of her friends before because they were all pushing baby buns on other people i know and i told them they shouldnt breed if they couldnt find them homes so i really didnt want it to look like i didnt have a clue what breed she was after making out i knew what was best lol.

Just say she is an otter marked netherland dwarf cross :) Its such a shame they are acting like a clique and excluding you, I have no problem with responsible breeders but they do not sound it, and they dont sound very friendly either!

Yeah I remember your thread on her, she looks so much better now. Bet her tummy is a lot healthier too now shes off all those pellets!

Just say she is an otter marked netherland dwarf cross :) Its such a shame they are acting like a clique and excluding you, I have no problem with responsible breeders but they do not sound it, and they dont sound very friendly either!

Yeah I remember your thread on her, she looks so much better now. Bet her tummy is a lot healthier too now shes off all those pellets!

Yes they are very much so a clique and im pro rescue so we have our differences. Im not totally anti-breeding but they keep trying to push litters off so they ca have more. They're only 22 (same age as me) and they dont know the history of the rabbits so i fail to see how they can be as knowledgable as they claim. One of them sent me a pm saying they needed to rehome 16 rabbits, 3 does, 2 with litters and 2 bucks. She's got down to 5 rabbits and then i saw that she'd commented on another breeders page saying she was going to have one of their baby bucks :roll:

Yes we no longer have to clean Lolas bum any more as she can reach it herself! It took alot of encouragement to get her to exercise but as soon as some of the weight went she started to enjoy running around. She's like a baby bun again now :)

Back