• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore feets- what would you do for these feet?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
These feet have gone like this in the last four weeks. Prior to that, there was nothing like this at all, just regular feet and fur.

Can those who deal with sore feet please give me their opinions on what they would do for these specific feet.

The first pic (which is the back right foot) is worse than the left.

20111112_58.jpg

20111112_59.jpg

(please note, I have done the research and used the search function, I just want to check I haven't missed anything, and not having dealt with anything like this myself, I wanted to check what I thought was correct, was correct).

Last edited:
OOOOOH.....hope theyre not causing too much pain.Im no good with sore feet...Id be inclined to bed on vetbed but it gets wet....
I use mega amounts of hay.....Lilys feet used to get wet, so i used vet bed but cos that got soaked due to her not bing litter trained, I use hay and lots of it..changed regularly.
What about a little sudocrem too???

So far it just looks like furloss so I would be wary of applying any topical treatments. They can flatten the surrounding fur and thus remove more cushioning.

I am wondering if Bun is having some hind leg mobility problems and if so what could be the reason. Hind leg weakness ? Hip/spinal pain ?

So far it just looks like furloss so I would be wary of applying any topical treatments. They can flatten the surrounding fur and thus remove more cushioning.

I am wondering if Bun is having some hind leg mobility problems and if so what could be the reason. Hind leg weakness ? Hip/spinal pain ?

It is very thickened and pink, but not red, not oozing or anything else.

He didn't have any problems four weeks ago and prior to that. I am not sure about now, although part of the advice I have given is to get a vet check and check his mobility in his back legs and spine.

Thank you.

As I say, I haven't ever dealt with this myself, but how chronic is this likely to be? I'm guessing that it depends on the cause?

I'd be inclined to agree with Jane that there is probably an underlying cause if this has happened over only a few weeks. Mobility issues as has been suggested, or urinary problems (either urinating more or urinating outside the litter tray).

Bedding...vetbed or thick hay as has been suggested.

Treatment...It doesn't look infected, so either leave it and see what happens, or I might use dermagel

Is bun indoor or outdoor? As the deep hay which everyone recommended to me was not practical indoors. Instead we used layers of fleece with cotton sheets on top to provide a bit of 'give' whilst keeping the fluffy material away from raw hocks. What is always emphasiesd is to not use anything topical unless the skin is broken or infected, at risk of dampening the surrounding fur, which is cushioning the sore part.

I would also be concerned about why it has so suddenly started. This did happen in our Rex bun, but she had not long moved onto a different surface (which should have been okay) and was still fairly young, so I think it was just something which was going to happen eventually anyway. If it's not a breed predisposed to hock issues and there is no evidence of damage from flooring/being overweight/long nails, I would be looking at spinal things and urine/incontinence also. You are right when you say the reason for them in the first place is an indicator of how chronic they'll be, but AFAIK in general it is difficult to regrow fur lost from feet, because they never get a chance to rest. I have seen some remarkable pics of fur coverage in a hock bun before, no idea who it was though so apologies, but it is possible. :)

(My actual experience of sore hocks is very limited, most of what I've learned is through reading, normally stuff from Jane, as opposed to real life situations)

This is similar to what Alice, my mum's rabbit, looks like at the mo. The vet advised sudocrem in her case, and told mum to put a wool based, hessian backed piece of carpet on top of the hutch, as Alice kept sitting on the rough roof. It cleared up quickly, but now keeps coming back. She pees absolutely everywhere except the litter tray despite being spayed, so that might have something to do with it too. Mum has switched the straw for more hay, and is just keeping up the sudocrem. I think you just have to keep experimenting with different bedding etc until you find something to suit your rabbit's feet :(

This rabbit does not live with me. Potentially the flooring may have played a part- this has been adjusted. Definitely not nails. Definitely not overweight. Not a rex. Had perfectly healthly feet prior to this (and is now 18 months). Still perfectly litter trained. Has had slow gut and tiny poo.

Said rabbit saw a vet today who said there was nothing wrong with it, just that it was bald, and prescribed something called Bio Calm Cream to put on twice a day. I don't know, but maybe something like this? http://bebeautifulskincare.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=323

Thank you all for your contributions.

This rabbit does not live with me. Potentially the flooring may have played a part- this has been adjusted. Definitely not nails. Definitely not overweight. Not a rex. Had perfectly healthly feet prior to this (and is now 18 months). Still perfectly litter trained. Has had slow gut and tiny poo.

Said rabbit saw a vet today who said there was nothing wrong with it, just that it was bald, and prescribed something called Bio Calm Cream to put on twice a day. I don't know, but maybe something like this? http://bebeautifulskincare.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=323

Thank you all for your contributions.

Just bald? :? Seems odd?

What has the flooring been adjusted to? Just I never found vetbed helped but hindered and rubbed off more fur. Duvets or vetbed covered with a soft sheet worked better for Mini.

What has the flooring been adjusted to? Just I never found vetbed helped but hindered and rubbed off more fur. Duvets or vetbed covered with a soft sheet worked better for Mini.

As far as I know potentially abrasive flooring has been removed. A large hay tray with deep hay in has been placed where he sleeps and I believe he has been using it. I searched one of your threads and lifted the info from it when making different suggestions for flooring. They have a wide variety of things to try.

Back