• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

very upset at what i saw my neighbour just do....

vickiemily

Young Bun
:( i am really upset at what i have seen my next door neighbour just do, :( they have two rabbits, around aged two and a bit, and just by chance i glanced out of my bedroom window and happened to see him lift out the big white one , it has somehow died, and he just shoved it into a black binliner and he has now put it upside down in the compost bin :evil::evil::(:(:( how can people be so cruel and heartless, their poor rabbits had a terrible life, they were both shut inside a smallish hutch for most of their lives, and rarely got let out, cleaned out or any attention, i am wondering if she has died of anything contagious as i am now panicking and really worried about my 7 bunnies, my bunnies are ALL fully vaccianated and jabbed on time ,i hope they will be ok, and not catch anything, i am also wondering what has happened to the other little agouti rabbit:( they got them from p@h just over two years ago, they were both unvaccinated and uneutered and rarely got any attention once their 3 daughters lost interest after about a week, they never got handled , checked or cuddled, and sometimes i think they forgot to feed them they were originally in an even smaller hutch and when they never cleaned that out the wood rotted and their staffie riped the wire off so they just binned that and got another one ,it just makes me so sad that i have just seen the man treat the poor rabbit with no respect or dignity, his daughter was stood beside him crying , but he just got a black bin bag and shoved it in!!, and told her to "shut up you are doing my head in" only then realised what he was doing and couldn't quite believe what i had seen , very heartless, but they aren't very nice people, :censored::censored: he didn't even wrap her in a towel or blanket just straight into a sack, and then head first into the bin, words fail me:censored::censored: and if i hadn't seen it myself i wouldn't believe people could do this, it is still in the bin by our fence:(, i don't know what has happened to the other rabbit if that has also died or if that one is ok, the mesh on the hutch is damaged so i am wondering if perhaps the rabbits escaped and their dogs got it, hurt it or maybe the shock scared her to death, she was a white rabbit , and as he picked her up, i couldn't see any sign of trauma or blood, so i don't know if the dogs got her or perhaps chased her and scared her, a few months ago they got a staffie puppy , and she has been very interested in them , they have an elderly yorkie too but he isn't bothered with the rabbits but i don't know if the puppy has got out with the buns and chased them, i thought it was only a matter of time before something happened,again with the puppy the novelty has already worn off and she is shut in the kitchen most of the time and hardly ever walked , they never walked the yorkie or the other staffie they had before. she didn't seem to have any wounds or discharge, but was very stiff so i don't know long she had been like that,:cry: or how long it took them to notice, what was also strange , early this morning they were all out there , apparently cleaning them out, which is almost unheard of, they hadn't been cleaned out for literally weeks!! so i did think that a was a bit strange, but didn't think anything more of it, until i just happened by chance to see what he has just done, i was so shocked, i would never do that to any animal, and can't quite believe it, i was the same age as his daughter when my first rabbit died, i found her myself and was hysterical and screaming ,my dad handmade a coffin, and we buried her with respect and dignity and have done with all of my bridge small furries, we always wrap them in fleeces and towels/blankets with hay , i even buried one of my girls in my coat as she was always biting holes in it, and always plant a plant/flower for them all
so now, i am trying to keep an eye out to see if the other rabbit is well and ok or not, as i am really worried in case it is myxi or vhd :cry: i hope not , mine are all jabbed so i pray they will all be fine and also, i want to see what they do with the poor departed bunny in the bin and how long they leave her there for and what they do with her sorry for the long post but i have never seen anybody actually just dump their child's pet like that and i am actually quite appauled and sickened by what i saw, i knew they were nasty people but i didn't expect them to do that!! it is just something i would never dream of doing so i am struggling to see why anyone could do this, i know other bunny lovers on here would understand being upset by this to so felt i had to post this to share :cry: rip bunny next door and sorry she had such a bad life :cry: i just *hope * they do not get any more rabbits, as i heard the youngest child shout get another rabbit , get another one!!:evil::evil: which is unfortunately exactly the kind of thing they would do!!:evil:

How upsetting for you to see.

This is absolutely terrible and I have no understanding of people who behave in this way, it seems all too common.

If something happened to my bun I don't know if I would even be able to bring myself to move her, I think I would have to ask someone to come and wrap her up for me and take her somewhere to be buried or cremated.

How absolutely heartless.

I am sending loads of vibe sfor you, go and cuddle your buns and give yourself a pat on the back for being a good person and giving your buns a good life xx

ok that's really poor. Would just say when my bunny died on Wed, it took me a good few hours to be ready to bury him. I wanted time to say goodbye, for his partner to say goodbye etc...so not doing anything first thing I can understand...

thank you for your kind replies, i knew this was the place to come and vent my shock and disgust. :love:i am sure they think it is "just a rabbit " but to me , i have never seen anyone actually do that to anyone before :cry::cry:

Bex, i am very sorry for the loss of your bunny:cry::cry:, i also realise perhaps they may not have felt able to do anythig right away, and i myself have also experienced the same shock as you when finding a departed pet, and not doing anything straight away, and leaving them for a while before being able to do anything, and letting their bunny friends say goodbye, many a time we have taken some time to get over the shock and think of the most appropriate place for them until my dad can make a coffin but never have we chucked them in the bin , i think with them it was more a case of him "disposing " of the bun as hassle free on his part :( i am going to keep an eye on what they do with the bun, i can see it's outline in the bin which is right next to our fence, and what is even worse it is upside down, :cry: it is awful knowing she is there ,the middle daughter just went and had a look (they have all just gone out) and all the mother said was "don't go on the mud!" :roll: i hope the other bun is ok, i hope they don't get another rabbit to "replace" the other one as i can imagine them doing ....will update if i see what else they do poor bunnies :cry: i think they were about the same age as my Freddie , only just over two years old

Last edited:
oh cannot forgive dumping the bunny in the bin, but they don't really sound like animal people...just got them for the kids...hopefully no new bunny will appear...

yes that sums them up totally :roll: kids want new pet kids get new pet,kids lose interest get another pet get a puppy bored of that already , i keep wondering what next and hopefully they won't be silly enough to have any more rabbits when their other staffie was ill and died last year i notice he was ill before they did as they were too busy fitting their new kitchen, i think in their minds they see themselves as "animal lovers" but after what he has done today no way can he be!:evil:

I very much suspect it died of something relatively simple that was neglected.

Can you go round somehow and ask about the other????? Poor thing will now need love and care even more than before.

Perhaps you could ask whether you could have it? If they really care that ittle. (PS have you checked that the other one was actually dead????)

well, the other little bunny must be alive, as when they came home the eldest daughter went up to the hutch and looked to see if she was ok, parents didn't seem bothered either way, as far as i know the other poor bunny is still as it was left earlier , tipped into the compost bin, :cry: i am assuming it will be there all night, although they do have an unused garage and a metal shed and wooden shed which would surely have been a more secure/safer place to put her in overnight, although when it got dark i heard the father creeping around out the back where the wheelie bins are and i hope that is not where she now is, :cry::cry: the bins are emptied on monday, i hope (but expect it is unlikely) that perhaps tomorrow they may remove her from the bin in the garden and either bury her properly or , take her to a vets to be cremated, i know there are pet crematoriums where you can take your pet to yourself so lots of options, anything is surely better than just discarding of her in that way, especially in front of his clearly upset daughter :( i just hope she isn't left ther like that , i know everybody has different ways of doing things , and each to their own, but i think anybody who saw the way he just shoved her into the binbag would be upset to witness that he seemed to hesitate as to where to put her, then decided the compost bin
i know i sound like a nosy neighbour , but it was only by chance that as i went upstairs to get somethig i happened to see it all for myself :cry: and of course, my first thought was anything disease wise that my own bunnies may be at risk of

I very much suspect it died of something relatively simple that was neglected.

Can you go round somehow and ask about the other????? Poor thing will now need love and care even more than before.

Perhaps you could ask whether you could have it? If they really care that ittle. (PS have you checked that the other one was actually dead????)

yes, i think it was quite sudden, and i hope , for the poor rabbits sake it was peaceful and painless, although if it had been ill for sometime and they just hadn't realised, i thought it was very strange that so early this morning they so suddenly decided to clean them out, which usually only happens every few weeks, if that, so perhaps they found her last night/early this morning and left her in the hutch til this afternoon with the other rabbit, or perhaps she was ok this morning and it happened after that . i have seen the daughter go and check the other one, so i am relieved to know, that , for now at least the other rabbit is alive and ok i assume, i think it will be very lost without the other one but i can't imagine that willl concern the parents, or if it does, i hope they don't just go and buy another bun and shove it in with the other one, :?
i think the other one was most certainly dead:cry::cry::cry: at first when i saw him bend down with the black sack, i assumed he was perhaps putting some bedding in, then i saw the girl crying, and he lifted the bunny out , and i thought it was unusual for anyone to take it out of the hutch or pick it up, i then sadly realised it was not moving and was stiff,in a sort of laying position but her eyes were open, as i already said , no sign of any blood, wounds or injury and her eyes looked normal and not swollen or weeping but obviously it was from some distance and not a close look and only saw one side of her and i was just so shocked at what he was doing i couldn't bare to look, it was quite a large bunny , at a guess 5kg and not much smaller than my giants, so it was quite obvious what was in the bag he showed no sign of any shame at what he was doing, and i know everyone has different ideas and copes in their own way and does what they feel is right or appropriate when a pet dies, but in my opinion just putting her in the bin is not something i can contemplate doing, maybe that is just me but i was very shocked and upset for the poor bun, i just really hope it wasn't myxi:(

i will try to see what they do tomorrow and hopefully something kinder than left in the bin :cry:

i am really sorry the departed bunny had a miserable life.

don't worry about the disposal, though. the spirit has gone, and dealing with the remains is a matter for those who are left behind.

some people say animals don't have souls. whether that's true or not, or whether humans have souls, i can't say for sure. but we, and animals, have life force, or just life, and when that's gone from the body, the body no longer has any significance.

I just need to say something, because it is something we got accused and when Floppy died. We were accused of not cleaning the buns out, because I did it early in the morning, just after the children had gone to school, the neighbour had gone to work at 8am. Then her Son got up at 11am, this means I had 2 hours (between 9 &11) to clean them out. But according to her, because her family didn't see it happening, she told the Landlord that it didn't get done, and apparently the smell of my "dirty unkempt" buns constantly wafted into her house, via her open windows. Simon was also accused of being heartless & cruelty to animals, for placing Floppy in the bin. (the RSPCA were called out because she said that Simon was neglecting the housekeeping of the rabbits, when they came out, Simon discussed everything with them, including putting Floppy in the bin. They were absolutely fine about it all, and agreed that it was the best thing to do, with the current pests invading our garden. They explained that the vets do cremate animals without charging, but he agreed that the stench of the body, by the time we had money for petrol, would have caused an Environmental Hazard issue)

If you want to kick me off the forum because of this, then I will understand.

Now, the story in hand:

First of all, unless you live literally 24/7 in the room where you can see the buns, you cannot claim that they don't clean them out, just because you haven't witnessed them doing it. It is possible that they clean them out when you are not there. (same thing that happened to us)

Secondly, you say you heard the Father creeping around the bins, how do you know it was him? I'm also pretty sure he would not have been "creeping around" when it is his own property? It is very easy to make judgements on other people, but unless they have told you personally, the real story behind it all, it is very unfair to cast judgement, and an opinion.

When Floppy passed away, Simon put him in a box, in a bin bag, and placed him gently in the bin. I will now explain why....

We had an abundance of feral cats, foxes and god knows what else, in our garden at night.

Both of our guinea pigs that died whilst we lived at that rented property were buried at the top of the garden, (when we asked the Landlord if we could bury them, she said that it would have to be at the top) the night that they were buried, in bin bags, in shoe boxes, in another bin bag, in a rather deep hole, each time we found the remains of the guinea pigs strewn all over the lawn, it was horrific, so bad I didn't even mention it on any forum.

Because of this, Simon didn't know what to do with Floppy, we were devastated as it was, when we found him. We could not cope with seeing his remains all over the garden. I'm sorry if you don't understand. The Landlord said that we could not bury Floppy in the garden anyway, because our lovely neighbour had reported back to her what we found with the Guinea pigs. Our garden was built on a steep and high slope (the top end of the garden was level with the roof of the house) for some reason, the neighbour's garden was level, so from their bedroom window, they could see the whole of our garden that was on the slope.

So obviously they saw Simon picking the remains of each Guinea pig up. (they died four weeks apart) regardless of this, I did NOT want Floppy's body to be ripped to pieces, so I solemnly agreed with Simon that the only option we had was to box him up, (toy box, not shoe box) secure it in a bag, and gently put him in the bin.

We had no money to pay a vet or a pet crematorium to take his remains, even if the vet offered a free service, but you wouldn't get the "urn" afterwards, we didn't even have the petrol money to get there!

There was absolutely NO CHOICE! If we buried him, whatever did the guinea pigs' remains, would have done the same to my baby Floppy. besides, we had already been told by the landlord, that we couldn't bury him. What else could we do?!

I don't even want to be told what happened to his body after the bins were emptied, so please, have a heart and DON'T tell me.

I am not condoning their behaviour, I am just saying that you don't know the whole story.

Maybe they have beliefs that all humans and animals should be "recycled" the best way possible? (it's a long shot, but you never know!) Some black bags are biodegradable, so they, and their contents, could break down and give nutrients to the compost.

I am sorry if my post has upset anyone with strong beliefs about what should happen to something when it dies, we really did see no option.

We even thought about taking Floppy's remains to the local nature trail and burying him there, but after much research, we were told it was against the law, and someone might see us and accuse us of burying a small person, until they looked!

In that scenario, I feel what Simon did was for the best. Unfortunate for Floppy's body, but his soul was long gone anyway.

Last edited:
how awful, the poor bun :cry:
i dont suppose there is aby way you could actually take a look at the bun in the bin, maybe in the middle of the bight when tgey are all asleep?

sadly, the departed bunny has still been left in the bin all day today :cry::cry:so i don't know what he is intending to do with her, it has been a day and a half now and fairly warm weather :(.....also, i hope the puppy doesn't knock the bin (it is one of those green ones without a lid , made of kind of material they make tarpaulins out of, with handles, and a cylinder shape if that makes sense) and get to her :( the eldest daughter went and peered in, and you can see the bin is listing to one side due to the weight of the bunny inside :cry:

the eldest daughter let te other smaller bunny out this morning for about 10 minutes, so atleast that one is ok and appears to be well and not ill thankfully , very alert and sprightly considering it is in the hutch all the time and the first time it has been out since they got the new puppy over 4 months ago , i think they will make a bit more effort to give that one some attention/care for a little while but that will most likely be shortlived if their past behaviour is anything to go by :(

Last edited:
I just need to say something, because it is something we got accused and when Floppy died. We were accused of not cleaning the buns out, because I did it early in the morning, just after the children had gone to school, the neighbour had gone to work at 8am. Then her Son got up at 11am, this means I had 2 hours (between 9 &11) to clean them out. But according to her, because her family didn't see it happening, she told the Landlord that it didn't get done, and apparently the smell of my "dirty unkempt" buns constantly wafted into her house, via her open windows. Simon was also accused of being heartless & cruelty to animals, for placing Floppy in the bin. (the RSPCA were called out because she said that Simon was neglecting the housekeeping of the rabbits, when they came out, Simon discussed everything with them, including putting Floppy in the bin. They were absolutely fine about it all, and agreed that it was the best thing to do, with the current pests invading our garden. They explained that the vets do cremate animals without charging, but he agreed that the stench of the body, by the time we had money for petrol, would have caused an Environmental Hazard issue)

If you want to kick me off the forum because of this, then I will understand.

Now, the story in hand:

First of all, unless you live literally 24/7 in the room where you can see the buns, you cannot claim that they don't clean them out, just because you haven't witnessed them doing it. It is possible that they clean them out when you are not there. (same thing that happened to us)

Secondly, you say you heard the Father creeping around the bins, how do you know it was him? I'm also pretty sure he would not have been "creeping around" when it is his own property? It is very easy to make judgements on other people, but unless they have told you personally, the real story behind it all, it is very unfair to cast judgement, and an opinion.

When Floppy passed away, Simon put him in a box, in a bin bag, and placed him gently in the bin. I will now explain why....

We had an abundance of feral cats, foxes and god knows what else, in our garden at night.

Both of our guinea pigs that died whilst we lived at that rented property were buried at the top of the garden, (when we asked the Landlord if we could bury them, she said that it would have to be at the top) the night that they were buried, in bin bags, in shoe boxes, in another bin bag, in a rather deep hole, each time we found the remains of the guinea pigs strewn all over the lawn, it was horrific, so bad I didn't even mention it on any forum.

Because of this, Simon didn't know what to do with Floppy, we were devastated as it was, when we found him. We could not cope with seeing his remains all over the garden. I'm sorry if you don't understand. The Landlord said that we could not bury Floppy in the garden anyway, because our lovely neighbour had reported back to her what we found with the Guinea pigs. Our garden was built on a steep and high slope (the top end of the garden was level with the roof of the house) for some reason, the neighbour's garden was level, so from their bedroom window, they could see the whole of our garden that was on the slope.

So obviously they saw Simon picking the remains of each Guinea pig up. (they died four weeks apart) regardless of this, I did NOT want Floppy's body to be ripped to pieces, so I solemnly agreed with Simon that the only option we had was to box him up, (toy box, not shoe box) secure it in a bag, and gently put him in the bin.

We had no money to pay a vet or a pet crematorium to take his remains, even if the vet offered a free service, but you wouldn't get the "urn" afterwards, we didn't even have the petrol money to get there!

There was absolutely NO CHOICE! If we buried him, whatever did the guinea pigs' remains, would have done the same to my baby Floppy. besides, we had already been told by the landlord, that we couldn't bury him. What else could we do?!

I don't even want to be told what happened to his body after the bins were emptied, so please, have a heart and DON'T tell me.

I am not condoning their behaviour, I am just saying that you don't know the whole story.

Maybe they have beliefs that all humans and animals should be "recycled" the best way possible? (it's a long shot, but you never know!) Some black bags are biodegradable, so they, and their contents, could break down and give nutrients to the compost.

I am sorry if my post has upset anyone with strong beliefs about what should happen to something when it dies, we really did see no option.

We even thought about taking Floppy's remains to the local nature trail and burying him there, but after much research, we were told it was against the law, and someone might see us and accuse us of burying a small person, until they looked!

In that scenario, I feel what Simon did was for the best. Unfortunate for Floppy's body, but his soul was long gone anyway.

i truly appreciate that everybody's situation and circumstances are individual, and different and i am not intending to offend or upset anybody, or judge them or you , it was just that i have never seen anybody actually throw a deceased animal into a bin, and , now leave it there, and couldn't help but to be upset by seeing it, as i am sure his young daughter was also. i was purely upset at seing the poor dead rabbit:cry: and the fact that knowing it has not had much attention over its fairly short life :(
In the 2 years they have had the rabbits, it is quite obvious when they clean them out due to the noise they make doing it, hence why it woke me up the other morning , and it is hard not to notice they have done it, as they make so much noise and fuss doing it , they have to shut the dogs inside and they bark the whole time so you are usually aware when they are doing it and they have the hutch right by our fence and also leave the old bedding out for a while before binning it, almost as if to prove they have done it, i am home alot of the time and am in the garden alot tending to my own bunnies and guinea pigs so usually am aware if they are about, as i am sure they are with me when i am sweeping up and being noisy doing my own animals etc the children make quite alot of noise and they turn the whole cleaning out into a grand event it is quite hard not to notice , and from the amount of soiled bedding that is literally inches thick and going solid and discoloured from the amount of time it has been there and the way in which the parents have to scrape the excrement off of the hutch floor with a car de-icer confirms that it isn't done very often :( they also put the doors from their old kitchen cupboards into the bottom of the hutch as the original floor had rotted with the urine and the bunnies have escaped a few times where the mesh had come away from the wood nine times out often they clean them out at the weekend when i am home virtually the entire time so i am usually aware of them outside doing it
aside from the fact about how often or not they clean their rabbits out which is separate from the binning of the bunny , what upset me was the fact that the rabbit has now been left in the bin, in the garden, which apart from being upsetting thinking about it there still, will , if he leaves her there for much longer surely not be very hygienic and sanitary, particularly with the warm weather we have here lately and if he is going to dispose of her in the bin, he will need to move her to the big wheelie bin out the back for collection by today or it will be another two weeks before the next collection. the bin she is in at the moment is a compost bin, the green type about waste height and material, not plastic without a lid so not very secure
as i appreciate everyone's situation is unique, and i would not judge you or anybody else, and of course everyone deals with things differently, i was just upset and shocked, and thats just my personal opinion, it is a privately owned house, with a garden, so there was the option of burial, (the people who lived there before buried their cats there) he has two secure sheds plus the garage where he could have chosen to put her until he decided what best to do with her, and there is also the option of cremation, which i doubt he would want to pay for , he has two cars and a van so can transport her to a vet's if needed to , our local vet's in the area are still open til 6 on saturday so he had a good 4 or 5 hours to take her to a vet if he wanted to where they could keep her until cremation in a proper fridge or there are pet crematoriums you can take your pet to yourself i know it is not a nice or pleasant thought of thinking what to do with a lost pet of any kind but in my opinion part of being a pet owner is treating them with the same respect in death as you did in life and the saddest part of having a pet in losing them and i know it is never easy having to decide what to do with them after they have passed away, there is no "right" or "wrong" way
also what was sad i found was putting her in roughly and upside down, which there was no need for and i get upset at the lack of dignity for any animal :cry: i never meant to judge or offend anyone but was just wanting to share my upset at what i saw, and maybe i was over reacting but it was hard to see, especially having bunnies of my own, it reminded me of when i have lost bunnies in the past and how hard and heartbreaking it is to cope:cry: and also, i just hope the bunny wasn't ill for sometime or suffering

Thank you for explaining how you KNOW when they clean them out.

I wasn't having a go at you, or defending your neighbours, I was just trying to say that it MIGHT have been a case of you just not being there when they do it, but I don't know your daily schedule, or how often you are at home, etc. for example, I live in my bedroom, literally (due to disability) so (if my bedroom was at the back of the property), I WOULD have known how often my neighbours cleaned out their pet.

I can completely understand you being upset about a pet being "dumped in a bin", obviously that is where Floppy's body ended up, through no choice, but I was not happy about it, and I had nightmares about my baby being in the bin for two whole weeks :( but that is because I care so much about all of my animals. (unlike your neighbours)

I was just trying to give a reason WHY they might have done it (in a failed attempt to ease your mind), not give them excuses.

Their situation was completely different to mine, I was out with my bunnies every day, before I became so poorly, so in that way, I'm not remotely like your neighbours :)

I agree, it must have been very distressing to watch, especially for a little girl. When I was a little girl, all our pets were buried, with a small ceremony. I was gutted, devastated that I could not do this with my baby, my first ever rabbit :-(

I'm sorry if you took my reply the wrong way, I was genuinely trying to help you to think good thoughts about the situation, so that it doesn't affect you.

I failed again, sorry.

I hope for number 2 bunny's sake, that they either look after her properly from now on, or they rehome her to someone that can.

Unfortunately, they seem like the type of people, that would just let her out, of her house, AND their garden gate.

If death of bunny 1 has created extra attention for bunny 2, it is sad, but it will be short-lived. :-(

Maybe you should print out a professional looking leaflet on CORRECT bunny care, and post it through their letterbox, when they are not in? Just an idea heheh

Best wishes,

Again, sorry if you took my message the wrong way.

xxx

Back