• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poo Question

Stumpy

Alpha Buck
When cleaning Whisky out today I noticed that there was some poos that weren't solid pellet like more flat and rather wet. The only new thing that she has had is a bed that came from the hay experts that she has eaten a lot of and her pellet food has just been the excel junior where as she started with adult. Do you think one of these could be the problem or could it b something else. p.s. she has loads of hay.

Thanks Nicola

At a guess what you are seeing a caecotrophs, these are the poos that bunnies eat so that thye get the most from their food. If your bunny isnt eating them it tends to be because there is some sort of imbalance in her tummy which makes them smell funny and therefor offputting.

Excel is a weel known brand for causing excess caecos. Did you change her food over slowly? How much is she having? What was her bed made out of? :wave:

At a guess what you are seeing a caecotrophs, these are the poos that bunnies eat so that thye get the most from their food. If your bunny isnt eating them it tends to be because there is some sort of imbalance in her tummy which makes them smell funny and therefor offputting.

Excel is a weel known brand for causing excess caecos. Did you change her food over slowly? How much is she having? What was her bed made out of? :wave:

Her food was changed over slowly and she gets a large hand full in the morning and a few nights a week some herbs (basil, parsley and dill). I have seen her eat some of the normal pellet poos but not the flat runny ones. Her bed is made from natural water hyacinth and rattan.

Has she always had the herbs?
Why did you change her food over?

Sorry for all the questions :wave: There are 2 thoughts in my head, either the juniour food is too rich for her tummy in which case she needs to be swapped back to the adult food, or she is getting too many herbs and they are upsetting things :wave:

I think the junior pellets are smaller, but richer, so if you measure by handfuls she's probably getting more food as well as it being richer. My rabbit was adult when I got him, but I think junior pellets have more protein in them, which bunnies sometimes need if they are still growing.

Maybe you could try her with half adult and half junior pellets, to see if this helps. :wave:

Has she always had the herbs?
Why did you change her food over?

Sorry for all the questions :wave: There are 2 thoughts in my head, either the juniour food is too rich for her tummy in which case she needs to be swapped back to the adult food, or she is getting too many herbs and they are upsetting things :wave:

my dad picked her food up and when we got it home after he had opened it realized it was not adult. i got her some adult yesterday and we are slowly changing it back. she has had the 3 same herbs for the last 3 weeks and she only gets them a couple off times a week.

i have checked on her this morning and she seems to be better then yesterday. i can only see one wet ish poo the rest seem normal again. x

I have a problem with my Betty. Normally she is regular as clockwork. During cuddle time last night, I noticed a lot of solid faecal matter round her bum. Using a soft hypo-allergenic wipes, I cleaned her back passage and although slightly red didn't look too bad. She went straight to work washing herself. I've got up this morning and the same thing has happened. It's as if she's constipated. She's still eating fine and her normal batty self. I bathed her rear area in warm water, softened it all, and washed with pet shampoo. Dried her off and put her in a box lined with shavings for a couple of hours to dry before returning her to a nice clean hutch. I've noticed she has another hard pellet which I easily removed, but I noticed no poops in the box at all. Can anyone suggest what it may be and is there anything I can give her to get her pooping normally again.

I have a problem with my Betty. Normally she is regular as clockwork. During cuddle time last night, I noticed a lot of solid faecal matter round her bum. Using a soft hypo-allergenic wipes, I cleaned her back passage and although slightly red didn't look too bad. She went straight to work washing herself. I've got up this morning and the same thing has happened. It's as if she's constipated. She's still eating fine and her normal batty self. I bathed her rear area in warm water, softened it all, and washed with pet shampoo. Dried her off and put her in a box lined with shavings for a couple of hours to dry before returning her to a nice clean hutch. I've noticed she has another hard pellet which I easily removed, but I noticed no poops in the box at all. Can anyone suggest what it may be and is there anything I can give her to get her pooping normally again.

So you haven't seen any fecal poos at all? No round pellets? It sounds like her cecals are very loose and therefore her stomach is out of kilter, along with no fecal pellets I would be getting her to a vet as soon as poss.

Just checked in the hutch, loads of poops!! she must have just been a little bunged up. Checked her under carriage as well and that appears ok. ;)

Glad to hear it. Try to encourage lots of hay eating and keep any rich foods to a minimum for now to help her tummy settle :)

Back