• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Loss of back tooth

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone managed the loss of a back tooth in a bunny? Pea went in to have her back teeth burred today and one of them fell out :shock:. It was the tooth which had had a really nasty abscess in the root 18 months ago. She was only discharged by the nurse tonight and I'll be going back for a check-up with my vet on Monday so I've not had a chance to have a proper chat with him.

I'm guessing we're in for regular dentals now as there won't be an opposing tooth to grind against? Is a gap likely to cause any other problems such as the teeth nearest the gap growing in strange directions?

Grateful to learn about anyone else's experience.

As long as there isn't infectionin the tooth roots, then you don't need to do anything at all. Buns can cope very well without molars. I have a few with virtually no molars, and you'd never know there was anything wrong. If she loses more molars, you might start to see her eat more slowly or dribble when she eats.

As long as there isn't infectionin the tooth roots, then you don't need to do anything at all. Buns can cope very well without molars. I have a few with virtually no molars, and you'd never know there was anything wrong. If she loses more molars, you might start to see her eat more slowly or dribble when she eats.

Fantastic :thumb::D. Thank you so much. I was convinced this was going to cause major problems but it's very interesting to learn about your gummy buns. She'll still go for a tooth check every 3-4 months but I'll just time this to mostly conicide with myxi and vhd jabs anyway.

Travis had some removed in order to try to lessen the extent of his dental problems. The tooth that was originally removed had any opposing teeth removed at the same time to try to prevent the problem you described as having concerns over. He has also lost other teeth in later dentals when they've been loose or wobbly to reduce the likelihood of infection or other problems.

He still has dentals, but they are usually about 3-7 months apart now, he also copes just fine with around 5-7 molars missing. :D

We want angels too fall out and her be gummy and you get to lose them :lol: winston had tooth ache once and his was removed and he was fine never needed another dental untill a good year down the line. The vets apparantly cant remove back teeth unless they really are ready to fall out as they are so well stuck in so it obv needed to come out and it shouldnt cause trouble. You may see bun looking bit gormless when food gets stuck in the gap but just like us its takes a little getting used to!

This happened to one of my buns earlier this year. The root was not taken out though so it has grown back as far as I know. :? He is fine and has regular dentals (every 8-10 weeks)

Thank you so much for all your helpful replies guys. I was really worried that the loss of a molar was going to cause big problems but I can now see that this is not necessarily the case. I'm much happier :D.

Back