• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit savvy vet needed in West Sussex please!

Kittycat

Young Bun
I'm losing faith in my vet, and need one who really knows rabbits. My buns have never had anything really seriously wrong before so it wasn't a major issue, but now I'm not happy with my vet. :(

I'm not too far from the border with Hampshire, so if there's a good one there, that would be a possibility. Maybe even East Sussex.

Many Thanks! :wave:

try downlands....

i used to go to emsworth branch....but too far in a taxi every time with bertie.....found our local vet has a few bunny savvy vets now....so im having to go there:(

i know janis from bognor hospital..hes very nice and bunny savvy....claire from emsworth but dont know if she goes to bognor........david the exotics man...inc tortoises..very good bunny vet as well.

heres the website....with all the details.
http://www.downlandvets.co.uk/

Oh, thanks! :)

Am just looking at their site now. I could go to any of their surgeries, so am just working out which one would have the most bunny savvy vets. Couldnt find a Janis though?

But there's a Claire , ( Claire Power - fab name, btw!)at Emsworth. Is that the one you mentioned? And the exotics chap is David Vawer?

Ta Debbie.

Kit.x

ah maybe hes left....my vet saski left earlier this year too. yes claires amazing...ask gem on here she will tell you:thumb: yes davids fantastic....:thumb:

yeah youre kinda piggy in the middle between practices! theyve opened one at denmead but still taxi ride issues....cost yes but more worryingly..stress on bertie. Downlands are so understanding and helpful...really miss em:( but hey..our other vet was great at animed..but the vet at the hospital..bloomin useless!! i took merlin as an emergency to our local vet and they were horrified with his history that hed been treated like that. they hospitalised him for week! not stupid 48hrs!

hope you find one soon at the nearest branch to you:thumb:

I just have to say thank you thank you thank you for this Debbie! You were right about David at Downland Emsworth - he really is fantastic!

He just saved my bunny's life! (Please forgive the overuse of exclamation marks, but I'm excited).:D

To cut a very long saga short, I was told my bun Stuffing was dying, and he has been fading fast these last couple of days, as predicted. :-(

But last night, after hours and hours of trawling the internet, and posts on here (thank you so much everyone), i decided that she was wrong, and he needed to go to Downland.

And on my god, am I pleased he did. Stuffy is not dying at all, he has a very treatable, very common stomach impaction! David felt his tummy, whipped him off for xray, and came back with a picture of a massive blockage in Stuffy's tum.

Stuffy is now on a drip at the Downlands, getting the drugs he needs to break the mass down, and all being well, will be home fine and dandy on Sunday!

I am absolutely horrified at how close I came to losing him. If I'd trusted the first vet, he would certainly have died, probably this weekend, and she would have been able to say, yep , i was right, he was dying. Except that he would have died of something very treatable, and not what she said at all. I still don't understand how she could miss the blockage. She didn't feel his tummy at all on Tuesday when I went back. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I also want to say a huge Thank you to Sky-o who's article on advocating for your bun, was always in the back of my mind when I was trying to work out the truth from the nonsense I'd been told. It helped a lot.

If this forum hadn't existed, I would never have been given the brilliants vets name, (David Vawer)and definitely would never have known what to do with my sick bun. Thank you, all of you for knowing so many things and sharing them. Without you, I would have lost my beloved bunny boy. :love: :love: :love:

omg hun....that first vet must be a right numptey...but then i had similar and ended up losing my beautiful dazy-mae...bluebells sister and was hours away from losing our adorable little merlin bun. Downland tried to save DM but she was too ill...temp was so high they said she shouldnt be alive..within 48hrs she wasnt..if only one vet had taken her temp in the two trips to diff vets....:(

merlin was hospitalised there with a mass around his gi tract and a small blockage in it! he is still going strong bless him. i cannot afford taxi fare to them every time i need a vet trip and distance each time would affect bertie too much.:(

david was great when bertie had his tail svaged by bluebell...

claires very good too. ha ha watch out for a nurse called hannah...shes lovely but a total bunny nutter...when merlin was in both times she fell in love with him and would spend as much time with him as she could:lol:

its hard reporting a useless vet..i did that many years back and they believed her over us..our word etc....then the other vets closed ranks and were :lol:very nasty..i was then told id not be welcome back..if i did i wasnt to ask questions or question the vets judgement..or id be banned again!! good ole pdsa:roll: so now i pay privately and cant afford to. but when your bun gets saved like your stuffing has and my merlin was......its worth every single penny!

if it hadnt been for this forum id have not been as aware of things as i am now and still learning!! if it wasnt for gem on here i wouldnt have found that wonderful vets...shes come with me for support several times at 2 diff vets. Gem was the one who recommended claire...touie here took her ratties to emsworth and then her tortoise...davids the tortoise guy too!!

im keeping fingers crossed you got stuffing home today..or that he gets back home and alive...no thanks to the first vet:evil:

give stuffing an extra nosey rub or two.

I'm so, so glad that you found a vet who could help. I really hope that Stuffing makes the recovery you hope he will :) Well done for advocating and getting his needs met. You should be so proud of yourself for doing all this. You have done amazing things for him. :thumb:

Back