• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Playing" tag"

debs9019

Young Bun
i was just wondering how do you know if ur rabbit and cat is playing?, as my cat well kitten keeps hitting her softly no claws on anything and chasing her around the room and sometimes jumps on her? :S i know its a silly thing too ask just i get worryed when there doing it.

I don't have a cat so no first hand experience of this but you need to be very careful as cats tend to have a lot of bacteria in their mouths and claws and this can mean a small cut can easily turn into an abscess. Personally I would err on the side of caution and not let them play together but I know some other people manage to have cats and rabbits interacting fine.

Does it go both ways? My Mum's first rabbit, 'Rabbitt', used to chase next door's kitten, then tempt him to chase him back - hopping a few feet away and checking to see if he was following. Nobody got hurt, but it was obviously a 2-sided game - just be careful that your rabbit doesn't get stressed (or the cat, for that matter!)

Pippa (who is about a year old now) will chase George and Gemma and when they get fed-up they have a tiny space they can get into where Pippa can't follow. I think it's important bunnies have a bolt hole or they can get stressed. Usually they tolerate her, but she is still very kittenish and wants to play for longer than they do.

When the weather is nice enough for the bunsters to go out on the grass the bunnies chase the cats who just climb a tree or the fence when they get bored with the game.

I am extremely lucky that all my cats and bunnies get on so well and always have done.

sometimes she chases back, she normal runs at the back on the sofa and she leave her alone then. how do you know when a rabbit stressed i know that sounds silly, her ears are aways down when there doing it.

Wide eyes and nose flaring or panting are a couple of easy signs of stress to notice. A happy rabbit will do hops or flicks in the air or sometimes just with their head and lie with their legs stretched out. :)
My cat often pats my rabbit on the head, I still haven't worked out if she's playing or not...

Wide eyes and nose flaring or panting are a couple of easy signs of stress to notice. A happy rabbit will do hops or flicks in the air or sometimes just with their head and lie with their legs stretched out. :)
My cat often pats my rabbit on the head, I still haven't worked out if she's playing or not...

Shes lying down Just now with her legs streched out and the cats lying next too her. when there playing should i stop her? :oops:

Back